Deli Slicer wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I'm starting to get serious about looking for a decent deli slicer for home. I want to spend $100 to $150 and I'm looking for something that I'll use about once a month for bacon, roast beef, turkey, and other homemade lunch meats.

I've looked on Amazon pretty thoroughly and I'm not seeing much difference in the slicers in this price range. Any tips or suggestions?

To be honest, I don't believe you can get a "decent" slicer for that price. A 7" or 8" blade is too small, I would look for something in a 10"-12" blade, but the cost goes up to over $300.00 but is worth the higher price.

Forgot to mention: the blades are not as efficient because most of them have ripper blades, also the motors are just too small and lack power.

Well...
I have a "plastic" slicer that has a 7 or 8" blade, is in the price range the OP mentioned (or at least was) and handles the foods he mentioned perfectly. True, there are times I would like a 12" slicer, but I do not have a dedicated spot for it and my small slicer is probably 1/3 the weight, therefore much handier for occassional use. Yet heavy enough not to slide around on the counter.
But then I recently traded in my large pickup truck with a Hemi engine because I realized I just didn't need something that big or with that much gas guzzling hp. To each their own.

Well...
I have a "plastic" slicer that has a 7 or 8" blade, is in the price range the OP mentioned (or at least was) and handles the foods he mentioned perfectly. True, there are times I would like a 12" slicer, but I do not have a dedicated spot for it and my small slicer is probably 1/3 the weight, therefore much handier for occassional use. Yet heavy enough not to slide around on the counter.
But then I recently traded in my large pickup truck with a Hemi engine because I realized I just didn't need something that big or with that much gas guzzling hp. To each their own.

That's the type of slicer I have, too. It was disappointing at first, after my experience with the 8 ton slicers in restaurants, I soon learned to use it and it works like a charm.

I would look for a balde that could be sharpened, this will give you the option to slice very thin. Powerful motor would also be a plus.

If you are only looking to slice bacon once a month, then you likely don't need something more expensive, but if you think that you might use it for other things later on, get something better.

Full disclosure, I'm someone that works with commercial slicers every day.

Check out a restaurant supply. I doubt a good deli slicer can be had for $100 or so and it will weigh a ton and it's no easy job to clean the thing. We have a Rival slicer and it works pretty good but I've not tried to slice bacon with it. Also, the motor comes off and all parts go into the dishwasher.

I have one buried somewhere in this closet not far from where I am sitting.
When my dad died, it ended up in my possession. Not sure if its a big one or small one nor do I know if its any good.
But it is all metal and I know he used it I will now open the closet and find this thing. To see what it is.

I found it. Rival. All metal. Just like Craig's link shows. Looks like the blade is on backwards to me. Its serrated.

Last edited:
That's the type of slicer I have, too. It was disappointing at first, after my experience with the 8 ton slicers in restaurants, I soon learned to use it and it works like a charm.

Yes, it's certainly no commercial slicer, but it gets the job done. You just need to work with smaller pieces of meat.

We also have one like Craig's link goes to. My Mom's cousin gave us her used one in 1981 so we could slice lots of meats (beef roast, boneless pork loin, boneless ham) for an anniversary party we were throwing for my folks. She told us to keep it, so we did. :) We've never had problems with it, have used it sporadically since then, and Himself found out that if your counter is slippery you can always put silicone pot holders under the feet to keep it still. Unless you plan on opening a deli I would think it would be sturdy enough for most any house use.

Back
Top Bottom