Diabetic coming for lunch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anonymous

Senior Cook
I've got a friend (who's a diabetic) coming for lunch next Tuesday and I was wondering what kind of dessert to make? Does anyone here have any experience in cooking for diabetics? Look forward to hearing from you.

Mary

Try this recipe

Banana Tea Loaf
===============
2 ripe Bananas, mashed
1/2 Cup Canola oil
2 Large Eggs, beaten
2 Tablespoon Frozen orange/pineapple juice concentrate
1/2 Teaspoon Orange peel
1 3/4 Cup Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking soda

Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with waxed paper and spray with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine bananas, oil, eggs, juice concentrate and orange peel. Stir dry ingredients together and then stir them into banana mixture until just blended. Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool in a pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

Store well-wrapped loaf (in plastic wrap) in the refrigerator or freezer.

Servings: 18

Adapted from The Joslin Diabetes Gourmet Cookbook, 1993 which used 1 large egg white plus 6 tbsp. egg substitute, 1/8 tsp almond extract, orange juice concentrate, 2 cups unbleached flour and no orange peel.

Original nutritional info. 1/18 recipe = 1 bread, 1 fat
Joslin Exchanges 122 calories, 2 grams protein, 14 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fat (44% of calories), trace cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 105 mg potassium.

Here's another one, Mary

Orange Cheesecake
=================
CRUST
1 Cup Soft wholewheat bread crumbs
1/4 Cup Bran (natural)
1/4 Cup Brown sugar substitute (SugarTwin)
1/2 Teaspoon Ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoon Butter or margarine

FILLING
1 Tablespoon Unflavored gelatin (1 pkg)
1/3 Cup Water
2 Cups 2% cottage cheese
1/3 Cup Orange juice
1 Teaspoon Orange rind
1 Small Banana
2 Tablespoons White sugar substitute (SugarTwin)
1 Teaspoon Lemon juice
1 Small Orange
8 Strawberries or grapes

CRUST: Combine 1st four ingredients in a bowl. With fingers, rub in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press onto bottom of 7-8" springform pan.

FILLING: In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water & let stand about 5 minutes to soften. Place over low heat, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Let cool to room temperature.

In food processor or blender, combine cottage cheese, orange juice & rind, banana, sweetener, lemon juice & dissolved gelatin. Puree until smooth (mash cottage cheese, banana with sweetener, juices & gelatin or press through sieve). Pour over prepared crust.

Cover & chill 2-4 hrs or until set.

At serving time, remove side of pan. With wide metal lifter, slip cheesecake off bottom of pan onto serving plate or leave on base of springform pan. Peel orange, removing pith & thin membrane. Remove sections. Slice strawberries or grapes. Arrange on top of cheesecake along with orange slices.

Exchanges 1/8 cheesecake: 1 Fruits & Vegetables Choice; 1 Protein Choice; 12 g carbohydrate; 10 g protein 4 g fat; 124 calories

Servings: 8

diabetic diet

Hey Mary

Just wanted you to know i found a site called diabeticdiet.com it might be of help to you good luck.

From what I understand, it varies from individual to individual. Some can tollorate absolutly no sugars what so ever and others can have limited amounts, particularly in things like fresh fruits.

I would serve one or two nice ripe cheeses, a selection of fresh fruit; perhaps pears, strawberries and grapes and perhaps a very low sugar crisp cracker or cookie of some sort - perhaps those little Italion wafers that aren't realy sweet at all.

A beautiful desert is 1/2 a ripe pear with blue cheese crumbled over it.

But remember, some diebeticks can't even have fresh fruit, in which case, consider cheese, raddishes and cellery sticks. The French do this sometimes.

You honestly cannot go wrong with unadorned fresh fruit, especially this time of year when it's starting to really be great. I have a friend whose daughter is a type 1. It is a bit odd that everything I did when they'd visit or we'd visit them was just the right thing, and we didn't know she had diabetes. "Oh, thank you Claire for having sugar-free popsicles (a staple for ME in the summer, and I'm not diabetic!!). "You always have good stuff for XXX to eat. It's always stuff I keep on hand anyway. I guess that's why having a diabetic husband all of a sudden hasn't been as much of a change as I feared it would be. Fruit, fruit, fruit. And really good fruit doesn't need any sugar added. Just clean it, and if her diet allows, you can add some cheese. She knows her numbers, you don't. So putting out a big bowl of lovely fruit is the answer. AND, I might add, depending on how long your evening might be, put it out later (we rarely ever had desert right on the heels of dinner to begin with). Diabetics often have to reserve their desert for a while to keep their intake of carbs consistent over the day. With the kind of entertaining I do, it isn't a big deal (most of my dinner guests are still here a couple hours after dinner). And, you know, there is no law against skipping desert, which I do often (because I could live my life without desert, so tend to forget it!)

Bumping this up as DH was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I saw some links worth investigating when I have more time.

We're in the same boat purrfect, so I will try to remember to bump this. Once school starts I'll investigate some of these as well. I have a dial up service that gets incredidibly SLOW when all the kids in town are home! Next week my computer will speed up and I'll take the time to look 'em up, too.

I have a friend who is diabetic, and has also had weight loss surgery, so he has to be very careful of what he eats. Here are a couple of his favorite recipes.

PINK JELLO SALAD

1 8OZ COOLWHIP
1 SM SUGAR FREE STRAWBERRY JELLO
1 SM COTTAGE CHEESE
1 CAN FRUIT COCKTAIL (LIGHT)
ABOUT ½ CUP CHOPPED PECANS (OPTIONAL)

DRAIN FRUIT COCKTAIL AND COTTAGE CHEESE (YOU CAN DO THEM TOGETHER)
IN A LARGE BOWL, MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND CHILL.

5 MINUTE NO BAKE CHEESECAKE

**THIS IS A BLENDER RECIPE**

8 OZ FATFREE CREAM CHEESE
12 OZ SKIM MILK
13 1 BOX SUGAR-FREE JELLO PUDDING (I’VE USED LEMON AND VANILLA)
1 GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST* SEE BELOW

ADD MILK TO BLENDER AND ADD CREAM CHEESE. RUN THE BLENDER FOR A MINUTE OR SO TILL ALL OF THE CREAM CHEESE HAS LIQUIFIED. THEN POUT IN THE INSTANT PUDDING MIX AND RUNN FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS OR TILL MIXED WELL. POUR THE MIXTURE INTO YOUR PIECRUST AND CHILL. THIS IS SET UP IN 5 MINUTES BUT IS EVEN BETTER IF REFRIGERATED FOR A FEW HOURS.

SUGAR FREE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST

1 CUP GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS
1/3 CUP SLPENDA
3 T MARGARINE

COMBINE CRUMBS AND SPLENDA IN A BOWL. MELT MARGARINE IN MICROWAVE. MAKE A WELL IN THE CRUMB MIXTURE. POUR THE MARGARINE IN THE WELL AND BLEND WELL. PRESS INTO BOTTOM AND SIDES OF SPRINGFORM PAN OR PIE PAN.

Last edited:
Constance said:
I have a friend who is diabetic, and has also had weight loss surgery, so he has to be very careful of what he eats. Here are a couple of his favorite recipes.

PINK JELLO SALAD

1 8OZ COOLWHIP
1 SM SUGAR FREE STRAWBERRY JELLO
1 SM COTTAGE CHEESE
1 CAN FRUIT COCKTAIL (LIGHT)
ABOUT ½ CUP CHOPPED PECANS (OPTIONAL)

DRAIN FRUIT COCKTAIL AND COTTAGE CHEESE (YOU CAN DO THEM TOGETHER)
IN A LARGE BOWL, MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND CHILL.

5 MINUTE NO BAKE CHEESECAKE

**THIS IS A BLENDER RECIPE**

8 OZ FATFREE CREAM CHEESE
12 OZ SKIM MILK
13 1 BOX SUGAR-FREE JELLO PUDDING (I’VE USED LEMON AND VANILLA)
1 GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST* SEE BELOW

ADD MILK TO BLENDER AND ADD CREAM CHEESE. RUN THE BLENDER FOR A MINUTE OR SO TILL ALL OF THE CREAM CHEESE HAS LIQUIFIED. THEN POUT IN THE INSTANT PUDDING MIX AND RUNN FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS OR TILL MIXED WELL. POUR THE MIXTURE INTO YOUR PIECRUST AND CHILL. THIS IS SET UP IN 5 MINUTES BUT IS EVEN BETTER IF REFRIGERATED FOR A FEW HOURS.

SUGAR FREE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST

1 CUP GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS
1/3 CUP SLPENDA
3 T MARGARINE

COMBINE CRUMBS AND SPLENDA IN A BOWL. MELT MARGARINE IN MICROWAVE. MAKE A WELL IN THE CRUMB MIXTURE. POUR THE MARGARINE IN THE WELL AND BLEND WELL. PRESS INTO BOTTOM AND SIDES OF SPRINGFORM PAN OR PIE PAN.

Yikers, doesn't anyone notice the dangers in transfats (hydrogenated, partially or otherwise), especially for those at greater risk of really nasty endstage complications, like diabetics... ?

CoolWhip, do check the Ingredients list sometime. Margarine, generally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole :ROFLMAO: but therre are now available transfat free margarines, or a healthful substitute can be easily made...

BTW, I've never seen FF Cream Cheese anywhere around here, what's holding it together? I'd love to know...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom