Difference in regular or bread machine mixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinylhanger

Sous Chef
I am having a hard time finding any gluten free bread machine ready mixes locally. I can find "regular" ones for the oven.

What is the actual difference, and can I use a regular one in the machine.

It's Bob's Red Mill brand

Might I ask where you are shopping, Vinylhanger? I'm asking because a few years back, DH had to go on a GF diet. I had to search out things to make sure that he STAYED on that diet. I found that stores don't always put things where it makes the most sense? Well, at least not to me. Take Freddies, for example, they have a GF mix and product section (the Chebe stuff is amazing!) And then you'll find some in the dedicated Bob's Red Mill section and then still more in the regular baking section. Sigh. One has to walk most of the store to find all the options! At least, on my side of the river.

Whole Foods wasn't much better, as I recall, but they closed our WF some years back. New Seasons isn't one that I frequent, but you could try there.

All of the above should have websites that might save you some driving? You might check Bob's Red Mill to see if they have instructions to convert to Bread Machine use?

I have no idea, but I could venture a guess. The regular mix most likely uses active dry yeast, while the bread machine mix would require rapid rise yeast.

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I could venture a guess. The regular mix most likely uses active dry yeast, while the bread machine mix would require rapid rise yeast.
That makes sense.

As for shopping, Safeway and Wally World. Wally World used to have it, but stopped carrying it. Our Safeway doesn't either.

May just have to order some online.

That makes sense.

As for shopping, Safeway and Wally World. Wally World used to have it, but stopped carrying it. Our Safeway doesn't either.

May just have to order some online.

Many times, I find it best to order online rather than run all over town & not find what I was looking for anyway.

Good luck!

Luckily, our gluten free is just a dietary choice and not a health issue.

It is hard. Gluten is in everything from soups to licorice and everything in-between.

And what isn't thickened or fillered with wheat uses corn.

That must be a nightmare at times.

I fell off the gluten free wagon a while ago, but my kid is still on it, though Hawiian Rolls are like kryptonite.

So, you start to understand the challenge I faced with DH! He couldn't have gluten...and worse yet, he couldn't have corn!!! Just between us, there isn't much in the world that is gluten-free & corn-free! Even our carpets are made from corn. Sigh.

I can only imagine what you must be up against, Ginny! I have had two friends with Celiac, one severe, and one not as bad, but when I'd cook for either of them, I still made sure that I didn't even use those types of things I see disclaimer notes on the items, like "may have been processed in a factory where wheat, soy, and peanuts may have been processed". Those are the usual ones I see listed. And oats is a grain that doesn't have gluten, but often has this "transfer gluten", thus it can affect many that have gluten resistance. And another ingredient, that some people miss, is malt - since it is usually a barley malted, which has small amounts of gluten.

Corn, soy, and wheat are in almost everything in some way or another!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom