Dinner 1/1/11 Saturday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
having leftovers here; pizza made with local bulk pork sausage and homemade pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. I recently defrosted both freezers and discovered a cache of homemade mozzarella;)....and some turkey and gravy over mashed potatoes and fresh dinner rolls..

What are you having?

I WAS going to make homemade pizza but when I went to get the yeast to start the dough - DOH!! all gone! Without yeast, I don't think the dough will be very good! I really don't want to go to the store this morning so I'm thinking I'll do chicken in mushroom sauce with stuffing and broccoli. I have a tray of cocktail shrimp that I will set out shortly to come to room temp and have that ready for snacking during the Rose Parade.

the joy of a big dinner menu for NYE is leftovers in one form or another. So ham and potato bake, peas and rice, tomatoes over pasta...it's all good for the coming week.

Black-eyed peas seasoned with a bit of tasso and bacon. (Coins)
Steamed fresh Green Cabbage (Cash) With Pepper sauce.
Cornbread (Gold)

Should make for a prosperous New Year!!

It's a warmer than normal day here. I may grill some sausage and cook up some beans and rice for dinner.

Black-eyed peas seasoned with a bit of tasso and bacon. (Coins)
Steamed fresh Green Cabbage (Cash) With Pepper sauce.
Cornbread (Gold)

Should make for a prosperous New Year!!

UB, I never can remember what each dish represents, but my grandmother was adamant about having blackeyed peas with hog jowl(we have baked ham) rice, cole slaw, and corn bread. NY is the only time I eat be peas all year. Dh likes them a lot and gets them if we go to a restaurant that serves them. I like all the rest of the dinner better.

Happy New Year to all and I hope all good things come your way this year.

I WAS going to make homemade pizza but when I went to get the yeast to start the dough - DOH!! all gone! Without yeast, I don't think the dough will be very good! I really don't want to go to the store this morning so I'm thinking I'll do chicken in mushroom sauce with stuffing and broccoli. I have a tray of cocktail shrimp that I will set out shortly to come to room temp and have that ready for snacking during the Rose Parade.
After reading Nicholas Mosher's chili thread, I made a quick change and now have a pot of chili in the crock pot. Will maybe make cornbread if my DS wants some. DH doesn't care for it.

UB, I never can remember what each dish represents, but my grandmother was adamant about having blackeyed peas with hog jowl(we have baked ham) rice, cole slaw, and corn bread. NY is the only time I eat be peas all year. Dh likes them a lot and gets them if we go to a restaurant that serves them. I like all the rest of the dinner better.

Happy New Year to all and I hope all good things come your way this year.

Yep gotta have that menu in some form for Good Luck in the New Year....I usually eat Mustard greens, but I saw some fresh South Louisiana cabbage and just had to have some..so that will be my "Cash".....

Happy New Year to you as well.....I wish for you good health and wealth in abundance!!:)

Uncle Bob that would be Meridian. Ran away from home 40 years ago :LOL:
My brother stills lives in Meridian

Josie

Meridian is a long, way away from me....both in size and in distance....Why Miss Josie it's a huge metropolis compared to my Small Town Mississippi:LOL:...I used to go there on business many moons ago.

Say, did you kno
w that Susan Akin Miss American 1986 was from there.
I had the honor and privilege to be her chauffeur and body guard at an event for a couple of days...What an awesome young woman! From the time she first took the stage in Atlantic City she completely blew everyone else away!! It was over before it started!! ;)

Made a pot of spaghetti sauce w/ meatballs last night. Will assemble a baked spaghetti w/ garlic breadsticks for my fiance and our friends for an early supper. That should leave room for the sausage/garlic bread appetizers and relish tray I'll have out for munching during our bowl game tonight. Go Sooners!! (Maybe I should put out a plate of Breath Savers after all that garlic? Nah-Garlic cancels out garlic!!:LOL:)

Happy New Year to all!!

I've got a good size container of taco meat mixture left from the enchiladas, but I already have chili in the freezer. What to do? What to do?

I'll freeze it, and take out a couple of chicken thighs to make Alix's Parmesan Chicken.:chef:

Supposed to me making bone-in pork roast with sauerkraut and carrots, but I may hold off till tomorrow and just have soup tonight.

Black-eyed peas and ham with cornbread. I don't believe in luck, but I do believe in tradition. :cool: Technically this isn't our tradition (we always cooked black-eyed peas at midnight as one year turned into the next, but we usually had scalloped potatoes and ham for New Year's dinner), but I have a nice meaty ham bone, and a bag of black-eyed peas, so we will be having that. :cool:

:)Barbara

Roast dinner just like Christmas Day - traditional in my house with roast beef meat rather than turkey or goose, and from tomorrow I shall be eating healthily (perhaps!!)

I've got a good size container of taco meat mixture left from the enchiladas, but I already have chili in the freezer. What to do? What to do?

A good easy way to use up that taco meat: Make a pot of rice seasoned with taco seasoning or something similar. Mix in the warmed meat and add a can of drained and rinsed beans (pinto or kidney or black). Stir in some cilantro if you like it. Eat as is or wrap in flour tortillas. I like to serve this with peaches or other fruit on the side.

A good easy way to use up that taco meat: Make a pot of rice seasoned with taco seasoning or something similar. Mix in the warmed meat and add a can of drained and rinsed beans (pinto or kidney or black). Stir in some cilantro if you like it. Eat as is or wrap in flour tortillas. I like to serve this with peaches or other fruit on the side.

That sounds good. I froze it for now, time to eat some chicken. I'll have to get some black beans. My freezer is full of different beans with meat dishes. No fair rinsing those off.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom