Dinner 1-24-2018 ~ Bottle? Or can?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
The first canned beer, Krueger's Cream Ale, came on the market on this day in 1935. It's inspired collectors of stuff to cover walls with the can art. Personally, we prefer glass bottle to cans...and draught over either of them. :yum:

No beer with our supper. I do, however, pour a bit of red wine over ham before I bake it. Along with the ham, I'm roasting beets, carrots, and baby potatoes. Cooking some green beans on top of the stove.

What's cookin' in your kitchen today?

The first canned beer, Krueger's Cream Ale, came on the market on this day in 1935. It's inspired collectors of stuff to cover walls with the can art. Personally, we prefer glass bottle to cans...and draught over either of them. :yum:

No beer with our supper. I do, however, pour a bit of red wine over ham before I bake it. Along with the ham, I'm roasting beets, carrots, and baby potatoes. Cooking some green beans on top of the stove.

What's cookin' in your kitchen today?
I almost never drink beer. The one exception is when I have Japanese food. The beer must be Japanese (Yebisu is Best, but hard to find. Sapporo would be my second choice, Kirin would be my third), it must be ice cold, and it must be served in oversized bottles with little glasses that hold about one swig! I don’t like beer in cans, but I couldn’t tell you why.

I don't drink much beer anymore, with the exception of the summertime. Coming back from a ride on a warm day, well, nothing quite like a cold beer. Better in a bottle for me, but I understand that a lot of the craft beer aficianados prefer cans.

Tonight's dinner was broiled salmon, served over fresh fettuccine with a shallot / sundried tomato cream sauce, nuked broc on the side.

Every now and then I like a Corona with Mexican inspired food - but as tenspeed mentioned, that's normally in the hot summer days.

I'll be having leftover cheese enchiladas, refried beans, and a sliced mango in a few. No beer. :)

Since DW is still in a lot of pain from yesterday's dental work, I dug out the leftover New Year's Eve ham bone from the freezer and made a crock pot of my split pea soup: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f59/crock-pot-split-pea-soup-with-ham-33424.html

The kitchen demolition guys were able to reinstall the stove for the time being, so it was nice to not eat out or have takeout again.

My wife likes to serve pea soup as a carb overload by serving it over skinned, boiled potato chunks, and topping it with cubes of toasted white bread instead of salad croutons.

It all really hit the spot on a crappy, rainy day.

I hope DW feels better very soon, bucky - and glad you now have a break from take-out and diners, even if it's temporary. :)

Thanks, Cheryl. I have tomorrow night off, so I'm hoping to make another home cooked meal. I'm thinking a London Broil served over a yu choy and shiitake saute.

I finally felt like cooking, so I made pasta carbonaroid. I use sour cream and wine in the sauce, as well as the eggs and cheese, so it's not quite carbonara. I made a very simple salad to go with it and made a blue cheese dressing. More than an extremely simple salad (lettuce and shaved red onion) was more spoons than I could manage.

We could have said we ate vegetarian tonight...if it wasn't for that yummy ham.
IMG_20190124_201651142.jpg

Not much of a beer person, though it would have gone well with what I had tonight.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw peanut butter was satay! So that's what I made - using some more of that stuff from the freezer. I had some chopped up spareribs - something I do for my Chinese dishes, but I figured I'd use those (I'm trying to use the oldest things first). I cooked them under pressure in the IP for 15 min., let it reduce naturally for 10 min., then manually reduced the pressure (not much there). They were just the right tenderness, but not falling apart.

I'll post the full recipe tomorrow - too late now, and I'm mis-typing a lot, telling me it's time to go to bed! lol

Here are the finished ribs, the sauce, and some stir-fried bok choy, with some nam prik pao (something I have to make more of):
Spareribs satay, and bok choy with nam pric pao, and the satay dip sauce.. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thanks Cheryl and bt!

Yeah, that dies look colorfully delicious. Are those beets?
That almost looks like one of our holiday meals.
Yup, beets with a generous grating of nutmeg. Carrots got lots of Aleppo pepper, potatoes were covered with The Spice House's "Back of the Yards" blend...and the beans were plain, buttered. And as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't have to be a "holiday" to eat like this. :LOL: Heck, I'm beginning to think that any day I get out of bed is a reason to celebrate. Besides, everything went into the oven except for the beans. Economy of energy.

Great looking and sounding dinners!

Souschef (the man who keeps me a happy cook) said I outdid myself again tonight.
The brats were browned well, then left on a bed of cabbage, onion and apples to steam with wine till cooked. In the mean time, I boiled and smashed tiny white potatoes, and roasted them off in the super hot oven with reserved duck fat from the Christmas ducks. I wish the colorless picture captured how good it all tasted together.

Attachments

• P1240005[1].jpg
    P1240005[1].jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom