Dinner 7-4-2017 ~ Independence Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I guess everyone is grillin' and chillin', so I'll get the dinner thread going.

Himself grilled beer chicken our way*, which I seasoned with Trader Joe's African Smoke. Good stuff! He also grilled up a huge Vidalia onion cut into wedges, which I added to our side. It was a kinda veggie-kinda starch-kinda salad dish: corn, tomatoes, and grilled onion, tosses with farro, and topped with Feta cheese, all placed on a bed of chopped romaine. Both the grain/veggie mix and the greens were dressed witih Greek seasoning mixed with EVOO and Balsamic vinegar. Himself declared it a winner. He also had more grilled onions on his plate, while I cut up a sad little Roma tomato that was in need of eating up.

Did you cook today, or did you declare your independence from cooking?

* Boneless, skinless breasts with beer poured over them to keep it moist. A Goddess kitchen tradition since the 1970s.

Attachments

• 20170704_211647.jpg
    20170704_211647.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 164
We had a cookout with pool visits on the side.

We had string cheese and a middle eastern dry sausage called soujouk with pita, a cheese ball and crackers, chips and salsa. I grilled kielbasa and Chinese sausages. The main course was burgers with all the fixins, hot dogs, potato salad. Dessert was a chocolate eclair dessert.

We had the jerk chicken from Norman van Aken I started last night. Craig grilled it, then we sliced it up and combined with the lettuce, diced avo and yellow mango, sliced onion, and the dressing. Dressing was a combo of 3 mustards, seeds, powder, and whole-grain mustard plus honey, sour cream, cream, buttermilk, white wine or champagne vinegar, fresh basil. I thought it was going to be too mustardy, but it was really good. I hope we can get more yellow mangoes because we'd both like to have this again.

Mom and I had our 4th of July meal for breakfast - broiled rib eyes, baked potatoes, she had a sliced tomato with hers and I had English cucumber and cherry tomatoes with mine. We nibbled through lunch and she had a BLT for supper whereas I had leftover steak and veggies with pita chips and thin mint cookies. Just too hot to cook during the end of the day.

DH did go to the store early yesterday, but he got ribs instead of steak. So we rubbed them with Penzeys Galena Street Chicken and Rib Rub and smoked them. While they were smoking, we added a few chicken thighs as well.

So we had smoked ribs with my homemade barbecue sauce, microwave-steamed corn (with Tajin on mine) and, watermelon-feta salad and homemade watermelon rind pickles. Ice cream for dessert.
0704172007b_HDR.jpg

We grilled chili lime chicken kabobs with veggies. Well, mine was mostly veggies and TB's mostly chicken! :LOL:

I made rice pilaf and garden salad to go with.

Friends hosted a BBQ.... Ribs, sausages, beans, 3 diff salads, deviled eggs, assorted olives and garlic bread... Cake while playing canasta...

We stuffed ourselves so its green salads and veggies for a few days... :neutral:

Ross

DH did go to the store early yesterday, but he got ribs instead of steak. So we rubbed them with Penzeys Galena Street Chicken and Rib Rub and smoked them. While they were smoking, we added a few chicken thighs as well.

So we had smoked ribs with my homemade barbecue sauce, microwave-steamed corn (with Tajin on mine) and, watermelon-feta salad and homemade watermelon rind pickles. Ice cream for dessert.
View attachment 27198

Looks good. How do you make you watermelon-feta salad? I've never tried it before.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom