Dinner 8-27-2013 ~ To Cook or Not to Cook...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty successful meal tonight. We had Perfect Pan-Roasted Chicken Thighs, steamed mixed Italian vegetables, hash brown potatoes, iced tea and Classic Rice Pudding, Swedish-style.

The chicken was fabulous and amazingly simple to prepare. The dessert was, well, beyond beyond delicious.
Both those recipes sound good! It is a good thing it isn't Christmas Eve, Tomte would not have liked that you didn't leave a bowl of pudding for him.;)

Fried Potatoes and Onions with Eggs.

1005806_10200388377540901_1692425887_n.jpg

We had beerbrats with cole slaw. My favourite nosy neighbour saw Stirling grilling the brats and started a conversation. She's German and had never heard of beer brats. We asked her to join us for supper, but she had something she had to do. She asked us to save her a half a sausage. She showed up as we were finishing supper and we gave her a sausage and some beer. She thought it was wonderful. I also had to tell her about the sausages (all natural) and where I got them. She had just been trying to get some German sausage and the store that she has been going to for 50 years is now closed. Yes, next time I'm at Costco, I will pick up some brats for Betty.

Addie, True story. Fr and I planned all summer for a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters, northern Minnesota. Whatever you carry in, must be carried out, trash wise. We made a list and I duly went to the camping goods store for dried food/ easily packed. Thought we would have reconstituted chili or soup the first night camping until we caught fish and found wild berries to sustain us. Guess again. Fr’s GF had packed 2 of the World’s Thickest Hugest porterhouse steaks in the bottom of a cooler for us. Best steaks we ever ate, cooked over an open campfire. No, I could not eat it all. Wth a little effort, I managed somehow. It’s amazing what you can do once you tuck into it.

I say go for it, and make leftover sammies or a steak salad mañana.

As an aside, Guess again. Wild berries are not found on the edge of a well
marked trail; deer paths cross and criss-cross leading to complete confusion. The sun doesn’t shine through the trees and berries are not readily found along deer paths either. Berries are not “in season” just because you are there. Euell Gibbons Lied. Next time pack more dried berries. And M&M’s>> if you plan on leaving a trail for the ground sqwerrels who follow you. :LOL:

As for me, still having a bit of a teeth issue. Not so much, emphasis on a Little. Soft foods are better. I found a swell looking on top of the stove Chix and dumplings recipe. Too hot for the oven. Haven’t tried this recipe before. DxW sent over a quart of her homemade chix stock and I bought a rotisserie chicken yesterday. Ate the legs, wings and one thigh and shared some with the little girls for supper last night and lunch. I don’t usually hold too well with rotiss chix, except for Costco or a local Mideast market, otherwise the local grocer has one flavor in their base I don’t abide as well, Whatever, and whatever they inject it with, the breasts are pretty moist, and there’s one thigh too. Will over cook some veggies, esp carrots, onion, brock and green beans. Add some frozen peas. Thyme, parsley and rosemary and tarragon. Then make this dumpling recipe to dollop on top towards the end.

When the kids were small, if I had noodles or potatoes in the chix soup, no dumplings, but I would make biscuits. After a few yelling sessions, I gave in. Dumplings with noodles along with the biscuits. Carb heaven for them. More work for me. But the pot was always empty at the end of the meal. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom