Dinner for Friday - 10.03.23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Bagel with Cream Cheese and a cottage jam of "Cherry Cabernet Jelly".

Was originally supposed to be salmon and left/over leeks but I fell down a rabbit hole looking at JOC recipes.
oops, almost forgot.... Just One Cook :D

So what's on your rabbit uhhh, I mean... plate?

Ginny, I'm really interested in that simplified version. Let us/me know how it works out. Love Chicken Cordon Bleu, even if it is from the 50's (?). But I think Chicken Kiev is even better LOL. Guess I'm just an 'oldie'.

Banh mi meatball lettuce wraps with a sriracha/kewpie mayo and a carrot/radish slaw and cilantro. Craig also had thinly sliced Fresno chilies on his.
20230310_181713.jpg

Bah, @dragnlaw, today isn't the 3rd, it's the 10th. See how easy it is to put in the wrong date?*

I ended up using Wednesday's loaf of bread for toast. I made his (onion and mushrooms) and hers (mushrooms and spinach) omelets with paprika potato cubes. Fruit salad, too.
20230310_212505.jpg

*I should have realized it isn't October. :LOL: I guess I just didn't process the European date format. Silly me..

Last edited:
CG, I know saying 10-03-23 isn't the most popular way of doing the date.
European, military time is reversed - 23-03-10
American is 03-10-23

for me, it doesn't make sense, especially with just numbers being used.
I like to go day, month, year or year, month, day
but month, day, year seems out of order
I know it is 'said' March - 3rd - '23 and hearing it that way seems right but not when expressed numerically.
Just me, I guess... perhaps I'll stick with military 23-03-10 which is actually my preferred way.

CG, I know saying 10-03-23 isn't the most popular way of doing the date.
European, military time is reversed - 23-03-10
American is 03-10-23

for me, it doesn't make sense, especially with just numbers being used.
I like to go day, month, year or year, month, day
but month, day, year seems out of order
I know it is 'said' March - 3rd - '23 and hearing it that way seems right but not when expressed numerically.
Just me, I guess... perhaps I'll stick with military 23-03-10 which is actually my preferred way.
If you start with the year, with four digits, everyone seems to understand, e.g., 2023-03-10. That's my preferred format and the one used in Quebec. It eliminates ambiguity, especially in years that end in 01 to 12.

Check out CG's cordon bleu casserole: https://www.discusscooking.com/threads/i-dont-like-monday-cooking-8-24.105382/post-1633188
I have made it and it worked well and was delicious.
Thanks for the "hat tip" @taxlady.

If you start with the year, with four digits, everyone seems to understand, e.g., 2023-03-10...
Thanks for putting into words the thought that was rattling around in my head. It takes just a few seconds more to post a more complete date, or to spell out the entire name of a book or website. Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't want to work word or number puzzles when I pop in to read about food.

Thanks for the "hat tip" @taxlady.

Thanks for putting into words the thought that was rattling around in my head. It takes just a few seconds more to post a more complete date, or to spell out the entire name of a book or website. Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't want to work word or number puzzles when I pop in to read about food.
“Hat tip”?

Thanks for the link taxy - looks delish CG.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't want to work word or number puzzles when I pop in to read about food.
on this I certainly agree - I don't like to either but for me, it is a common occurrence at least 2 or 3 times a week. Someone will post an item by Brand or popular nickname only, never mentioning what the object is. eg. I smothered it in Dicleckperp. is that a paste, dry seasoning, liquid, sauce? Is it spicy, salty, sweet? So I look it up and find it is a popular spicy sauce available only in the southern regions. How was I to know?
LOL, my favourite is "I had a bunch of Dicleckperp for supper" Wha? pork chops, hamburger steaks, sirloin or other steak, a type of fish, etc.?? :ROFLMAO:

I too, have done it on occasion but usually when specificall talking to someone whom I know will understand. Like saying "I went to Timmy's" but I'm talking to taxy or someone else in Canada and they will know I'm referring to Tim Horton's, a Canadian coffee shop the equivalent to Dunkin Donuts in the States.
ps... and even here, I am assuming Dunkin Donuts is all across the States? Not just the eastern States?

I'm trying out a simplified version of Chicken Cordon Bleu...we'll see? We'll have that with some oven roasted baby potatoes and white corn, off the cob.
Here's a link to the "inspiration" for the meal: Weeknight Chicken Cordon Bleu - but I didn't follow the recipe too much. I did the slit, stuff portion, but then I used some melted margarine instead of mayo and I used crushed/seasoned Ritz crackers instead of the Panko. It was good! DH said, "you bought these"....harumph!

IMG_7109(Edited) (2).jpg

“Hat tip”?
Screenshot_20230311_133021_Chrome.jpg

It's often posted as "H/T" online, but I didn't dare use just initials considering the discussion at the moment. :ROFLMAO:

Here's a link to the "inspiration" for the meal: Weeknight Chicken Cordon Bleu - but I didn't follow the recipe too much. I did the slit, stuff portion, but then I used some melted margarine instead of mayo and I used crushed/seasoned Ritz crackers instead of the Panko. It was good! DH said, "you bought these"....harumph!

View attachment 63861
I was toggling through and saw this photo come into view and I could have sworn that was our dinner last night!
IMG_2686.JPG

Those Potatoes were the best!

View attachment 63861
Looks good, but I can't see the recipe. :( Need to pay to join.

Back
Top Bottom