Dinner Friday, 11-1-19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Are dinner threads passé now? I did not see one for Halloween (maybe the ghouls spirited it away...) or for tonight. Some of our best meal ideas get hatched when reading what others are having for supper.

Anyway, I'm cooking in pre-vacation mode. Himself felt off not having chili on Halloween (it's become a tradition since it's so easy to make and can sit on the stove simmering forever) since we were eating leftovers. To be nice, I cleaned out that 2-cup container I had filled with the unused half can of diced tomatoes from an earlier meal and made a pot of chili for him. I got rid of the last two chicken breasts from the broasted chicken, along with most of a 5-oz tub of spinach, and made a small pot of chicken-barley stew. Cleaning out more things tomorrow...but you'll have to have a Saturday thread to find out what it is. :D

Did anyone else cook or eat on Friday? Do tell...

dinner on Halloween:
DW nuked a corn dog and some onion rings. 'we were busy handing out candy. I had canned beef stew, doctored with chili powder, ground cumin, and garlic, with a piece of buttered bread. Later on, we had ice cream.

For Friday, tonight, it was chicken sukiyaki that came out great. In included bias sliced carrot, celery, baby peas, and onion, seasoned with soy sauce, Chinese 5-spice powder, garlic, ginger, toasted sesame oil and a touch of sugar. The chicken was boneless breast meat sliced into thin strips, and marinated in a combination of Kikoman Light soy sauce, cornstarch, and rice-wine vinegar. The chicken strips were tossed in the cornstarch slurry. The veggies were cooked until tender-crisp, with fresh bean sprouts then added to the mix. Everything was made hot and transferred from the wok to a mixing bowl. The meat and slurry were added to he wok and cooked until the slurry turned opaque and he chicken was jut done. The veggies were added back in and everything stirred together. I added a bit of water as the cornstarch thickened everything too much. The resultant sauce was smooth, and every bit as good as any sukiyaki, or chow mien I've had anywhere. Later, we used fresh white bread dough to make our version of scones, fry bread really, cut in half after cooking and smeared with butter, honey, and blueberry and strawberry preserves. Each scone half was a different, and delicious treat. Tomorrow night, it's time to make egg rolls and pineapple sweet and sour sauce. Unfortunately, my boy picked up boneless/skinless chicken breasts, and so I have not skins or bones to make my base chicken broth for the sweet and sour sauce. I mentioned to him that If I request he pick up some chicken for me, make sure it has bones and skins on. He complained. Oh well. I'll just have to pick up some wings tomorrow.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I pan-fried a couple of boneless pork chops, made some roasted yukon golds and buttered corn.

I made beef barley soup on Halloween.

I had muenster cheese on tricuit crackers for dinner last night.

Last edited:
I made a delicious sambar last night, with that new batch of sambar masala I made on Halloween. I made it with some cremini mushrooms, plus some of the last scraps from the garden - about a cup of beans cut up, the last 4 okras, and about a cup of chopped up green tomatoes. This sounds strange, but the tomatoes substitute for the tamarind, usually used in sambars, as a tart ingredient. I also added some barley - not traditional in Indian food, but always good with mushrooms. I had the last roti with it, I made a few nights ago.

I sure hope dinner threads haven't become passé CG! It's my very favorite thread.

On Halloween we lost our appetite as that's when we saw our mountain catch fire right at dinner time. Boy howdy, that was sure a long sleepless night.
Last night we left our motel room in the next town after being evacuated, and ate at the Greek place we like so much there.
I'm cooking tonight for sure, so I'll make a dinner thread if nobody else does.

Last edited:
With no power, supper was extremely simple. I heated a can of Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup and ate it all. I didn't bother with anything else. It was dark in the kitchen and I didn't want to rummage. I heated the soup on a one burner butane stove. It was warm and satisfying.

Mom and I were out paying bills and grocery shopping during the day Friday so we stopped and got take out. Mom wanted a ham and cheese sub, so she got that from Subway. I got General Tso's shrimp and shrimp-fried rice at a local-based Chinese place next door to Subway.

With no power, supper was extremely simple. I heated a can of Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup and ate it all. I didn't bother with anything else. It was dark in the kitchen and I didn't want to rummage. I heated the soup on a one burner butane stove. It was warm and satisfying.

O have loved Habitant Pea soup all of my lfe. At my Dads house, it was the only pra soup we ever ate
It was his favotite as well. At my Mom' house we ate homemade split pra soup, usually with a ham hock cookrd in it
I loved that too. I make both, plus my own French-Canadien style yelloe pea soup. Sadly, iI can't eat anythong made with dried pras, or any kind of levimrs nevause of the kidney failure.b :ut I still make them for DW.

Hlad you could enjoy the Habirant.

Seeeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

O have loved Habitant Pea soup all of my lfe. At my Dads house, it was the only pra soup we ever ate
It was his favotite as well. At my Mom' house we ate homemade split pra soup, usually with a ham hock cookrd in it
I loved that too. I make both, plus my own French-Canadien style yelloe pea soup. Sadly, iI can't eat anythong made with dried pras, or any kind of levimrs nevause of the kidney failure.b :ut I still make them for DW.

Hlad you could enjoy the Habirant.

Seeeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Yup, Habitant pea soup is really good. I hated pea soup until I tasted French Canadian pea soup.

Back
Top Bottom