Dinner Monday, 4-12-2021 ~ National Grilled Cheese Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
While that sounds like a yummy option, National Grilled Cheese Day is not happening at Chez Goddess. Instead, I have plans for an Italian sausage/onions/bell peppers grill served over creamy polenta. Simple sides salads will show up, too.

What are your plans for your supper tonight? If you don't have plans yet, might I suggest grilled cheese? :mrgreen:

I do like a good grilled cheese. Usually use cheddar cheese, ham on a good bread in the panini maker. Tonight though, we're making an old time favorite: Better Home & Gardens - Zesty Bean Posole.

Kinda-Sorta Pork & Beans -
Lefty Pork Roast, Black Beans, Small red Beans, Tomato Dice, Chopped Onion,
Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Sriracha........... Cuke Salad

Pork & Beans.jpg

I tried out a new to me Danish recipe. They called it Italian chicken breast with pasta. The chicken breasts were marinated for two hours and then baked with the marinade. The pasta had a "sauce" that was kind of tasteless. The chicken breasts were really good and easy. So, I will definitely make the chicken breasts again and I'll come up with some sort of more interesting sauce for the pasta. I served it with a leafy salad, dressed with homemade vinaigrette.

Attachments

• PXL_20210412_225123588 small.jpg
    PXL_20210412_225123588 small.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 57
So for breakfast this morning I made grilled fatty melt sandwiches. Grilled cheese with sliced fatty. :yum:

I didn't even know...

Today I made a batch of my favorite Szechwan eggplant dish, with some of that dried eggplant, plus some unusual ingredients I have never put in this dish.

A couple of days ago, a friend brought me a bag of root veggies that his daughter gave him - a large rutabaga, 2 types of medium sized radishes - a green and purple - and some Jerusalem artichokes. She belongs to some weekly produce mailing, and I guess this week was root veggies. And he didn't even know what they were! :LOL:

I have used large radishes, like daikons, in many cooked dishes, so I cut one of the green ones up into chunks, and a few of the Jerusalem artichokes, as well. I cooked the dish, as usual, then cooked the eggplant covered for 5 minutes, then the other veggies the last 10 minutes, and they cooked well, but not mushy. The radish was mild flavored, the JA a little stronger, but both were very good. But then, I like just about anything with Szechwan flavoring!

All of the scallions were from the garden, overwintered. Served this on some steamed brown basmati rice.
Szechwan eggplant ingredients, with a couple more veggies. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Szechwan eggplant, cooked 5 minutes before adding the cut up radish, and Jerusalem artichoke. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Szechwan eggplant and veggies, covered to steam 10 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Leftover Szechwan eggplant dish, showing the green radish and Jerusalem artichoke. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dave, if you haven't used up all the sunchokes, try them sliced, raw in a salad. I love that added crunch and flavour in a salad.

Dave, if you haven't used up all the sunchokes, try them sliced, raw in a salad. I love that added crunch and flavour in a salad.
I have used them in salads, though more for crunch, than flavor, though they have a little more than jicama, something else I sometimes use for added crunch. I sometimes use them in stir-fries, for the crunch and some flavor, sliced thinly, like water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. I actually looked into growing them, but they seem to need a longer season than I have - a friend in my area tried, and got very small tubers.

I am going to try and return to my vegetarian days. Meat just isn't sitting well. So, I had an avocado Ceasar salad (homemade dressing) with steamed asparagus and pinto beans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom