Dinner on the Ides of March - 15/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
I read someplace that Julius Caesar wasn't just stabbed once, but more like 40+ people participated, Murder on the Orient Express style. I wasn't there, so can not verify.

Dinner tonight is Sloppy Joes served open face on Corn Bread squares.

Yesterday's salad-- spinach, grapes, dates, gorgonzola, was no big deal. I will keep the cheese and spinach salad going again tonight, and probably eat grapes (in a reclining position ala Roman style ;) ) and use the remainder package of dates when I make Irish soda bread.

Last edited:
I am currently soaking some porcini mushrooms. When they are ready I am going to make up some pene with chili pesto, asparagus tips and the mushrooms. Will top that with some beef tenderloin scraps I brought from the deli...I'm marinating them in herbs and truffle oil....then, a few greens on the side with this new white wine vinegar I picked up the other day....but right now Pilsner...

For us, I've got B/S Chicken Thighs sitting in a homemade Greek Seasoning
that I put together (very nice btw), they will go on the gas grill, since is't still nice here (high of 80 degrees, AGAIN) ... next week it will drop like a rock back down to low 60's-high 50's and 30's at night...
to go along side will be fresh green beans and TJ's Hatch Chile Mac n Cheese...
3 buck Chuck for now though ;)

I grilled a small rib eye this afternoon and threw some asparagus on the grill while I was at it. I knew I couldn't eat that whole steak at once so I cut off a hunk and will have the rest tomorrow...maybe steak and eggs for brunch.

Not quite as charred as I strive for, but it was still tender and delish. :yum:

Attachments

• grilled rib eye and asparagus with shroomies and onions.jpg
    grilled rib eye and asparagus with shroomies and onions.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 141
I heard Brutus was guilty of the dastardly deed. Actually I hesitate to take sides but I'm not so sure Julius Caesar was a good guy--or a bad guy. Between him and his bro Agustus, they had so much ego among them that they stole two prime summer months and renamed them July and August. You can see this effect today considering June as 6, and September having the root of the digit 9, that two months are missing between: July and August. October is the proof having its root in 10, indicating that two months were stolen between June and October. But I digress because of the idea the topic invokes and the OP...

Well I have been sipping wine and nibbling green onions and baby bella mushrooms in a dip of sour cream seasoned with onion soup mix... and nibbling on garlic toast.

I felt like I just wanted something simple, brute force, and to hell with subtlety.

I decided dinner tonight will be solely meat! I thawed a rib eye steak, I'll cook it to MR (nearly "mooooo") and eat with condiments including wasabi, hot mustard, and maybe some some steak sauce.

Yes I grasp the concepts of having a balanced diet, but tonight I decided to have a wolf's dinner: meat, meat, meat, and a side of meat with that!

Maybe a few more slices of garlic toast.

I'll make up tomorrow with a breakfast that has a lot of bacon! :ROFLMAO:

I'm taking a writing class and it met this evening. I had leftover pappardelle and pork ragu before I left. DH had leftover chicken pot pie.

I made chicken fajitas. Himself had a side of seasoned black beans, too. Now I'm nibbling on a slice of my oatmeal bread...:yum:

I read someplace that Julius Caesar wasn't just stabbed once, but more like 40+ people participated...
It was the Roman times version of a firing squad. Himself said the entire Senate despised Caesar, so they figured if they stabbed him en mass no one would be able to be charged with the deed. A real CYA move. ;)

...next week it will drop like a rock back down to low 60's-high 50's and 30's at night...
Wow, I'd be thrilled with a HIGH of the day in the 30s. We've been hanging around in the 20s most of the week - and right now our thermometer is reading 17. Brrr...

I ate a hard-boiled egg. I just finished a 16-hour work day. I had breakfast, no lunch, and ate a hard-boiled egg for diner. I may eat something more substantial, but right now, I'm having a cocktail and listening to some Stevie Ray Vaughan -- loud.

CD

Pork chile verde. I intended to make this on Tuesday, but the power outage changed my dinner plans.

I made the same dish a few months ago with chicken, and I think I prefer the chicken version over pork.

Pork chile verde. I intended to make this on Tuesday, but the power outage changed my dinner plans.

I made the same dish a few months ago with chicken, and I think I prefer the chicken version over pork.
How did you serve it? I've put it in soft tacos with Monterey Jack cheese and pickled red onions, and also over white rice.

How did you serve it? I've put it in soft tacos with Monterey Jack cheese and pickled red onions, and also over white rice.
In a bowl, tortillas and salad on the side. I considered rice, but ended up with tortillas. If I did this over rice I would use brown rice. The Zoji does a fabulous job with brown rice. Nice and fluffy, unlike anything I've made in a pot. We try to use brown rice whenever possible, but some dishes need white rice.

In a bowl, tortillas and salad on the side. I considered rice, but ended up with tortillas. If I did this over rice I would use brown rice. The Zoji does a fabulous job with brown rice. Nice and fluffy, unlike anything I've made in a pot. We try to use brown rice whenever possible, but some dishes need white rice.
I've started buying a rice medley that includes white, brown, red and wild rices. The brown is pre-cooked some, so the mixture cooks at the same rate (I do them in the microwave - perfect every time). I also have basmati and jasmine rices. Yet another collection ;)

We had oriental chicken noodle soup, shredded chicken that was poached in broth, glass noodles, shitake mushrooms, green onions, cilantro. Broth was flavored with ginger, garlic, onions, peppercorns, salt, then strained.

I sometimes make Lundberg's wild rice medley in the Zoji. Saute some sliced scallions and mushrooms in EVOO, add rice and stir to coat, add water or broth, then cook. Alternatively, dice a slice of bacon or two, saute to render fat, then proceed with scallions, mushrooms, etc.

I ate a hard-boiled egg. I just finished a 16-hour work day. I had breakfast, no lunch, and ate a hard-boiled egg for diner. I may eat something more substantial, but right now, I'm having a cocktail and listening to some Stevie Ray Vaughan -- loud.
Just noting, we are fellow Stevie Ray Vaughan fans! :)

I have I think 4 of his albums.

I sometimes make Lundberg's wild rice medley in the Zoji. Saute some sliced scallions and mushrooms in EVOO, add rice and stir to coat, add water or broth, then cook. Alternatively, dice a slice of bacon or two, saute to render fat, then proceed with scallions, mushrooms, etc.
I like Lundburg's Jubilee (mixed brown rice). Whole Foods quit selling it so now I buy on Amazon (Prime) for less $.

Back
Top Bottom