Dinner Potatoes... HELP!!!!! Bout to cook dinner! Arghhh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Okay i have 5 medium sized Red Potatoes, and im going to roast them in a pan with my chicken for dinner. I only have one oven in my apt, so they need to go in at 400 degrees. im gonna cut them into 3/4 inch to 1 inch chunks, and cook them. first of all, will it affter cook time with both dishes in same oven?

Second, im going to put salt, pepper, garlic, fresh rosemary, olive oil, on the red potatoes. How should i go about it? How much olive oil for 5 potatoes? Will the ingredients burn? I heard i should cook them for 20 minutes in here.

I was going to rub the potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and sprinkle them with finely chopped rosemary, then throw em in the oven with the chicken. It is a shallow, metal pan, a rectangle one.

any tips?

Mylegsbig said:
Okay i have 5 medium sized Red Potatoes, and im going to roast them in a pan with my chicken for dinner. I only have one oven in my apt, so they need to go in at 400 degrees. im gonna cut them into 3/4 inch to 1 inch chunks, and cook them. first of all, will it affter cook time with both dishes in same oven?

Second, im going to put salt, pepper, garlic, fresh rosemary, olive oil, on the red potatoes. How should i go about it? How much olive oil for 5 potatoes? Will the ingredients burn? I heard i should cook them for 20 minutes in here.

I was going to rub the potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and sprinkle them with finely chopped rosemary, then throw em in the oven with the chicken. It is a shallow, metal pan, a rectangle one.

any tips?

If it is a whole chicken, I would roast it alone for the first 3/4 of the cooking time. Then add the potatoes to the pan.

If it is chicken pieces, then put the potatoes in after the chicken has had about 10 minutes in the oven alone.

choclatechef said:
If it is a whole chicken, I would roast it alone for the first 3/4 of the cooking time. Then add the potatoes to the pan.

If it is chicken pieces, then put the potatoes in after the chicken has had about 10 minutes in the oven alone.

the chicken is chicken breast halves, breaded with crushed corn flakes. It bakes for 400 for 20 minutes or so.

the chicken is cooking in a 13x9 glass dish.

the potatoes are 3/4 - inch pieces and are cooking in a shallow metal rectangular dish prob around 13x9 too

separate dishes

Since your chicken and potatoes have the same cooking time, put them in at the same time.

Maybe its too late but I'd throw the taters in a bowl, add a few T of olive oil and your seasonings, toss to coat and pour into baking dish

I rarely cook at 400 degrees so this is just a guess.

But make taters that way in the oven all the time.

Would probably cut the spuds about one inch, toss in a plastic bag with the oil and spices, and put in the oven at 350 in a dish covered with foil for about 20 minutes.

Then would proceed with the potatoes about the chicken.

Think you will get a crusty outside for the potatoes and a sweet, soft inside.

But then again I like my oven roasted potatoes cooked a bit longer than most.

Just a thought.

I second AuntDot's idea. Put the spuds into a plastic bag with the oil and spices, and give them a good shake. I'd also add some paprika, granulated Garlic and Onion, and a pinch of Oregano to the spice mix. My daughter loves to add (gasp, say it aint so) Lawrey's Seasoning Salt to her oven-fried spuds. If you roll the spuds in a bit of seasoned flour, it will give them a crispy coating as well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom