Dinner, Sunday, August 31st?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
it's 5 o'clock. there's like 4 hours left in the day. NO ONE ate today? :huh:

well, i cleaned the pool, weeded and bug sprayed the garden (using a "green" spray), watered the new shrubs and potted plants, rinsed off the salt water fishing gear and put it away with the coolers and such, and then made my dinner.

buffalo sauced smoked chicken "cheesesteaks", made with shredded smoked chicken thighs, evoo and butter sauteed green bell peppers, hot cherry peppers, onions, dried savory, and fennel seed.

c'mon now. what did you cook or eat today, sunday, august 31?

I purposely intended today to be a "not doing anything" day and it was, pretty much, except for those things I wanted to do. I spent a good portion of the day out in my studio with Sally and Bella and some fun projects.

I'd planned for beer butt chicken, which is cooking nicely on the grill. Went out and picked the last of the Italian green beans. They're cleaned and are cooking. In a few minutes I'll pick the last of the cherry and grape tomatoes. A few cornmeal pan rolls with butter to help sop up the yummies left from the chicken. Iced tea to cool us off and more of the zucchini cake for dessert.

Last edited:
how do you know they're italian green beans, kth?

do they make sounds when you pick them like "hey", "ho", "hey","vafungu", "hey","whatsamatawityou....", "ho","heyyyyy"...

DH is under the weather with a cold that's going around, but we have a couple left-over grilled pork chops along with other stuff, so he won't starve, regardless of what he might tell you.

I'm going to pressure cook some barbecue spiced brisket and I made a pasta salad. We still have cole slaw left from last night. Talenti gelato for dessert. I think I got black cherry and sea salt carmel chocolate.

I took some pork chops out of the freezer but they weren't thawed enough. They will wait for tomorrow. I had a frozen lasagna that I popped into the oven. Served it with garlic bread.

We ordered from the Greek pizza place. Stirling wanted lasagna and they seem to be the only place we like that delivers lasagna. I had the souvlaki platter. It was delicious.

DH is under the weather with a cold...
Hope he feels better soon Dawg.

Himself has a self-induced upset stomach, having drunk too much coffee too quickly on an empty stomach. Toast is good, cheese wouldn't hurt him, and he needed some sort of veggie - grilled cheese with tomato on semolina bread. I had my sandwich on Challah with bread and butter pickles. Finally remember to grill sandwiches on my CI griddle with the burner only half-way up. I forget how quickly it can get screaming hot...and stay that way. I've made way too many "Cajun" sandwiches...:ermm:

We grilled burgers and corn on the cob for dinner tonight. I used my tortilla press to form the burgers and I loved it! They fit the buns perfectly after grilling and were just the right height. Yum :yum:

I had a grilled burger, too. A huge one. With bacon and cheese. :pig: :yum:

I pulled some leftover ground beef from the freezer and it was only enough to make one big one. I didn't want to waste the grill space for only one thing, so I defrosted a couple of chicken thighs and threw them on there, too. Dinner for tomorrow. :)

The Pirate made me some crispy thin sliced fried potatoes. They were so good. He also made me a broiled pork chop with Ah So sauce on it. I got the potatoes down, and just a few bites of the chop. I will start picking on the chop around midnight. :angel:

We were at a birthday party this afternoon and basically all I had were some veggies and a plain bun with cheese. I got hungry in the early evening so made nachos with refried beans (for my protein), olives, tomatoes, green onions, salsa and cheese. Once baked I added avocado chunks as well. TB had some without the beans. He had meat sandwiches, veggies and cake at the party and a hot dog before we left for it.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
I got my hands on some beautiful fresh cod and went to my mother's place to make her some beer battered supper. She doesn't get out much any more and really misses fish and chips. Anyhoo, it went perfectly. Probably the best I ever made and eaten. Was so happy I could treat her.

While taking out the last piece it fell back into the oil and I gave myself a b***h of a burn. I have had some doozies in my life and this one ranks right up there. :furious::furious:.

Thanks. I'll survive. Skin grows back.....

After my mother's last stay in the hospital she is now on dialysis. She still cooks for herself but no longer does much that requires extra work in the kitchen. She gets very tired easily. I have been trying to make her things that she has grown up eating and enjoying. Been into a lot of French Canadian recipes lately. Things I never ate as a kid, but remember her making them. Made some cretons and duck rillettes last week. Put a few jars in the freezer for her. Taking her to the local orchard this week to grab a bushel of apples and helping her peel, slice and freeze them. Have some pork hocks in the freezer for next weekend. Going to make them up with baked beans and home made buns. Something she has done for many years but can't on her own any more....

With my love of cooking it is a very satisfying adventure....

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll survive. Skin grows back.....

After my mother's last stay in the hospital she is now on dialysis. She still cooks for herself but no longer does much that requires extra work in the kitchen. She gets very tired easily. I have been trying to make her things that she has grown up eating and enjoying. Been into a lot of French Canadian recipes lately. Things I never ate as a kid, but remember her making them. Made some cretons and duck rillettes last week. Put a few jars in the freezer for her. Taking her to the local orchard this week to grab a bushel of apples and helping her peel, slice and freeze them. Have some pork hocks in the freezer for next weekend. Going to make them up with baked beans and home made buns. Something she has done for many years but can't on her own any more....

With my love of cooking it is a very satisfying adventure....
That's very sweet. I do the same when I go to my mom's--I make things that my grandma used to make and things my mom made when I was growing up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom