Dinner Thirsty Thursday ~ 3-16-2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baked Mac and Cheese. I had a very large bundle of cheese ends in the freezer and Pirate wanted to put them to use. He likes bread crumbs on his, I don't. We compromised. Half and half.

Having friends over for dinner. Chicken tenders, roast red peppers, crimini mushrooms, artichoke hearts, black olives, and capers, served with fresh penne pasta, garden salad, and a baguette I picked up at the bakery this morning. Wine will take care of the thirsty component.

DH's birthday today, so we had shrimp with cocktail sauce, 2 lbs of bacon cooked wiggly (!!!), a huge pan of mac n cheese with 4 kinds of cheese and buttered crisped crumbs on top. White cake in a bundt shape with a lemon glaze.

I've got a brined turkey in the oven. Will fix mashed potatoes and asparagus as sides. Later an apple crisp made with my canned pie filling and some vanilla ice cream fell into the shopping cart this morning. I still trying to find some neighbors to share with.

We made a Costco run today and couldn't resist the rotisserie chicken. So that, pilaf and asparagus are what's for dinner tonight.

Doing the St. Paddy's Day thing... :)

yqpJFeQ.jpg

Lookin' good and feelin' fine Steve.

I think I will oven braise our corn beef tomorrow, save the cooking juices and cook the veggies on Saturday. I think that should work ok. That way too, Dx can go straight for a reuben if that's what she would rather have, and I think she does.

For dinner tonight it's warmed up sloppy joes on slider buns. At various times we have called them Dollar buns, party rolls, and for some bizarro reason Turkey buns, though a turkey never came near them. Anyway, they is little and I had 3 Sloppies and a handful of grapes.

Last edited:
I made bratwurst last weekend, from ground pork, pork fat and seasonings. We're having some of that for dinner tonight. I'll braise it in sauerkraut, beer, homemade grainy mustard and thyme from the garden, then brown it under the broiler. I'm also making hot German potato salad to go alongside.

TB had roasted chicken thighs with roasted potatoes and carrots. I gave him tomatoes and cucumber on the side.

I had steamed veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts and carrots) with some of my leftover fried rice from yesterday. I will have some fish now for my daily protein and avocado Caesar salad (my new favorite)!

I took my neighbor to Blaze's Pizza for lunch, where I had their red vine pizza, which is actually a classic Margherita pizza. So, for dinner, it will be light snacks.

CD

Waddle, waddle, waddle. It was my Mom's 85th b'day. My cousin brought down a tonme (well, maybe not a tonne, but a decent amount) of fresh walleye he caught at Birch Beach, LOW, Tuesday night per my Mom's request. He also brought a wild rice - walleye soup, a wild blueberry pie and banana bread. I had asparagus, coleslaw, and quesadillas ready, and then there was that b'day cake.

I was frigging stuffed. And, I didn't have cake. I could hardly waddle through the kitchen to get the dishes done (what was I thinking using the good china, sterling, and crystal)? But, I also ran the dishwasher twice excluding that stuff. As my Dad said, "you know it was a success when you have to run the dishwasher at least twice and wash just as many dishes and silverware by hand." Such GREAT memories of this day will be held in our hearts forever.

Last edited:
Minimalist shrimp panang curry. Jasmine rice of course. Coconut cream, Mae Ploy panang paste, crab paste, shrimp paste, nam pla, shrimp sauteed in garlic, and since I've been having stomach problems I used Sriachi sauce instead of fresh Thai chilis, added a bit of palm sugar and some dried, ground Thai chilis I grew in my own garden as seasoning.

Good lookin' dinner, Steve!

I had steak and eggs this evening, using up the rest of the grilled rib eye I couldn't finish yesterday. Pretty darn good. :yum:

I forgot to take anything out of the freezer, so I'm thinking of making mashed potatoes with Boursin cheese, enough to nibble on tonight with some leftovers for tomorrow with meatloaf or something.

Meantime, I thought I'd eat "healthy", so I got 2 3-pound bags of frozen blueberries. I broke them up into 10 1-cup servings each. That was not quite two weeks ago. I think I have one serving left.

Every time the urge to snack hits me, there's the blueberries. So I'll probably finish those off tonight for dessert. I love them frozen - it's like eating blueberry ice cream. I guess it's better than pigging out on potato chips, but I'm starting to get worried. Can a person eat too many blueberries? I feel like a bear gearing up for hibernation.

Last edited:
Mister Blissful Happy Birthday!
And CWS Mom, Hauoli la hanau
TWO birthdays today on the same day, WOW!

I went out to lunch with Missus Dear Friend, WONDERFUL!
And then we went to shop at the new green grocery that opened here in the middle of the desert yesterday, FANTASTIC!
Now granted, this is a women who did not cook or even shop for food ... I feel like .. what's the word I'm looking for? THE TRANSFORMER! :stuart:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom