Dinner Thread for Thursday, Jan 13, 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Classic tourtiere is what I made for dinner tonight, but with all beef, and no pork. The crust was flaky, and shiny from the egg wash. everyone liked it with catsup. I didn't serve it cold, as is traditional, but warm. I used store bought, Pillsbury pie crust in a tube. it was ok. i like my own crust better, but didn't have the energy to make it.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Looks like you and I are the only one's eatin', Chief.

My wife made Chicken Parm and ziti for dinner tonight. My son's new girlfriend joined us.. A very sweet, polite, and intelligent girl. Lays on the manners a bit thick, but then that just shows me that she's thoughtful and smart.

Lemonade combined with orange juice made from blending peeled oranges, and a bit of lemon, and orange zest is really tasty.

We had Char Siu pork, rice and Asian flavored green beans.

White chocolate pudding was dessert.

Ross
IMG_20220113_143728172.jpg

AWKKK! are those DRAGONS running around the edge of your plate? I collect! I want! LOL (I should maybe post my collection in an album.)

no pic, :rolleyes: Roasted Chicken Legs and Baby Carrots with za'atar seasoning. Rice with Spinach 'n mushrooms.

Delish.

Used an Oval Stoneware Lasagna Gratin dish to cook the legs & carrots. As I walked up to check on the cooking at about half-way, I stood and watched as about 1/8th of the dish slowly broke off and keeled over. LOL Needless to say I scrambled to find another dish to quickly transfer everything to. Yechy drippings now on the bottom of toaster Oven.
I've had that dish a good 30 maybe even 40 years, made it myself,
sigh... bye by...

Sorry about your dish, dragn. I have one that my grandmother made in her ceramic shop that developed a crack. I use it for storage now; I'm glad I saw the crack before I used it.

This was dinner both Wednesday and Thursday - baked ziti but with rotini. I thawed a quart of homemade lasagna sauce with Italian sausage and combined it with mostly cooked rotini. Meanwhile, I mixed together a pint of ricotta cheese with an egg, grated Parmesan and about a teaspoon of Penzeys Sandwich Seasoning (I use this like Italian seasoning). Put a layer of sauced pasta in a baking dish, then layered in the cheese mixture, then the rest of the pasta, then a topping of shredded mozzarella. While it was baking, I made a salad to serve alongside. Good stuff.
20220112_195811.jpg

Last edited:
Classic tourtiere is what I made for dinner tonight, but with all beef, and no pork. The crust was flaky, and shiny from the egg wash. everyone liked it with catsup. I didn't serve it cold, as is traditional, but warm. I used store bought, Pillsbury pie crust in a tube. it was ok. i like my own crust better, but didn't have the energy to make it.

I never heard of a tradition of eating tourtière cold. That's for the leftovers. The ketchup is traditional with tourtière.

Last night, we had my vegan, roasted, root vegi bisque. We usually dislike sweet potatoes. I bought some to see if they would work in this bisque. I pureed the roasted sweet potato separately from the rest of the vegis. We added a bit of the sweet potato puree to a small bowl of the soup. It tasted fine, so the rest of the puree went into the soup. It didn't detract from the soup at all.

I used creamed coconut and water as the liquid, rather than coconut milk. I like to do that when I'm not sure how much liquid I will need. There might be some coconut milk left that will need to be used up soon. Any leftover creamed coconut will keep just fine in the fridge for months. We had some wholewheat with sunflower seeds bread to go with that. It was delicious and filling.

Roasted vegi bisque and wholewheat with sunflower seeds bread.jpg

taxy, throw your left over coconut milk into the pot next time you're making rice. I've made rice with all coconut milk and partial coconut milk when I need to use it up.

Delish

taxy, throw your left over coconut milk into the pot next time you're making rice. I've made rice with all coconut milk and partial coconut milk when I need to use it up.

Delish

Well, the other thing is that creamed coconut almost never has any additives and it's almost always cheaper than canned coconut milk. Also, when I cook rice, I make a large pot and put the leftovers in the freezer in half cup servings. It can be several weeks before one of us cooks rice again.

Creamed coconut is very handy. Lots of people are confused about what it is. Here's a good explanation of the difference between creamed coconut, coconut milk, and coconut cream: https://www.type1kitchen.com/creame...ifference-and-how-to-make-one-from-the-other/

Last edited:
Good article taxy, thanks for the link!

Actually realize now I did not really know the difference!
Close but no cigar.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom