Dinner Thursday Nov 18?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tired from shopping, I made a TBS on Rye. Tomato, Bacon, Swiss.

If I get hungry later, I'll have some of the chicken soup I made yesterday.

My fridge, cabinets, and freezer are bursting at the seams! I need to have a cooking day, but I've got to figure out what I can take out of the freezer that won't be bigger when the leftovers go back in! At least the loaf of honey wheat bread can come out now 'cause there's only the heel left of the rye.

Nice burger & fries PPT!!

Dinner was Roasted Pork loin. Sides were brown rice medley (Rice medley is long grain brown rice, black barley & Daikon radish seeds. Rice medley and onion sautéed/toasted in butter, turkey broth added for the liquid), steamed & buttered cauliflower and pan gravy.

img_939313_0_f3d583878cfdf3e8d42b53b914e1a214.jpg

I could always just dig right into those plates of yours Ms !!

Dinner was thrown together tonight and turned out so tasty!!
I had a lb of ground beef that needed cooking so I made big meatballs with it using chopped mushrooms, fine diced onion, some panko bread crumbs, chopped parsley, lots of parm cheese, a few shots of soy sauce, egg, & salt and pepper. I flattened them out some and browned on both sides, and removed to keep warm. Deglazed the pan with some Sherry, and added a can of Cream of mushroom soup (yes, I do use it sometimes). I added some milk till it looked right and returned the meat patties to the gravy, covered and simmered a few minutes. Served the patties and gravy on top of steamed rice, and steamed broccoli finished the meal. Dang, it was really good.

I had a lb of ground beef that needed cooking so I made big meatballs with it using chopped mushrooms, fine diced onion, some panko bread crumbs, chopped parsley, lots of parm cheese, a few shots of soy sauce, egg, & salt and pepper. I flattened them out some and browned on both sides, and removed to keep warm. Deglazed the pan with some Sherry, and added a can of Cream of mushroom soup (yes, I do use it sometimes). I added some milk till it looked right and returned the meat patties to the gravy, covered and simmered a few minutes. Served the patties and gravy on top of steamed rice, and steamed broccoli finished the meal. Dang, it was really good.

It does sound good. I like sherry as a nice change. I wouldn't apologize for using canned soup. I keep a supply of mushroom, chicken and celery and use them often. They are great for extending a gravy, or as a base to melt cheese in for mac & cheese. Sometimes just for a gravy with some flour mixed in with some Gravy Master to change the flavor and add nice brown color. Mushroom for savory, chicken and celery to add a background to cheeses or binder (?) for a casserole where I want something bland to showcase the other flavors.

Thanks for bringing up the sherry, though. I'll keep it in mind as I plan dinners to make room in my overstuffed freezer. Maybe a hamburger casserole with sherry, cream of soup, cheeses and egg noodles with frozen broccoli cooked along with the noodles.

See you're inspiring me already.:chef: XOX Z.

Last edited:
It was my DH, Stirling's birthday today. We went to The Old Dublin Pub with a friend. Stirling had a cheeseburger with bacon. I had a burger with mushrooms (and peeled off the orange cheese they didn't list on the menu, if it had said cheese I would have said "no orange cheese"). Both came with big fries. The burgers were huge and I actually got mine medium rare. We also had Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale on draught. All very yummy.

Last edited:

Thank you!! Your dinner sounds YUMMY!!

what's GLOP?

GLOP is throw odds and ends in the fridge in a pan, cook up a starch (rice or pasta), possibly stir in a can of cream of...or tomato sauce if it's a bit dry and eat. No recipe, no consistent ingredients and it's usually touted as the best thing you ever fixed, do it again...:LOL:

GLOP is throw odds and ends in the fridge in a pan, cook up a starch (rice or pasta), possibly stir in a can of cream of...or tomato sauce if it's a bit dry and eat. No recipe, no consistent ingredients and it's usually touted as the best thing you ever fixed, do it again...:LOL:

Ahhhh, we call that bachelor surprise.

what's GLOP?

Glop:

Brown a pound of ground beef with onions, garlic and mushrooms. Stir in a can of diced potatoes, some frozen veggies and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

That's my version of glop. I learned it as a Boy Scout and it's a nostalgia meal for me.

SO won't touch it.

Glop:

Brown a pound of ground beef with onions, garlic and mushrooms. Stir in a can of diced potatoes, some frozen veggies and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

That's my version of glop. I learned it as a Boy Scout and it's a nostalgia meal for me.

SO won't touch it.

I think it sounds wonderful!

after picking up my little guy's cub scout uniform, we stopped off at the mahwah bar and grill http://www.mahwahbarandgrill.com/menus-mahwah.htm on the way home.

we started with pea and french onion soups (both ok but very salty), then the steamed clams. again good, but too salty, imo.

then dw had a dinner special of grilled shrimp over arrugula, shaved red onion, walnuts, tomatoes, cukes, and goat cheese. it was delicious. the arrugula was pefect, just slightly bitter green to lay the canvas for the other sweet and savoury ingredients.

my boy had a half rack o' ribs with sweet potato fries; i had a full rack with regular french fries. the ribs were excellent, as always.

the service was very good as well. friendly and attentive waitress, good bus people.

We had shell pasta with sauteed garlic, red bell pepper, and green peas, tossed with soft goat cheese.

I think it sounds wonderful!

I love it. It was my first solo meal as a teenager, trying to duplicate Hamburger Helper. We called it Goop.

Unfortunately with meals like this is that although they often come out really wonderful, you can't usually duplicate them because of the odds and ends available at the time aren't available the next time.:chef:

Thanks for the nice words about last nights dinner.
Z, I just wanted to add that I almost always use Sherry to thin out canned creamed soups for cooking. The slightly nutty flavor improves the flavor like nothing else, imo. I'd say 1/4 to 1/2 cup to a can of soup. Have fun with your cooking marathon! :)

Nice burger & fries PPT!!

Dinner was Roasted Pork loin. Sides were brown rice medley (Rice medley is long grain brown rice, black barley & Daikon radish seeds. Rice medley and onion sautéed/toasted in butter, turkey broth added for the liquid), steamed & buttered cauliflower and pan gravy.

Thank you! And that gravy loos really good!

Thanks for the nice words about last nights dinner.
Z, I just wanted to add that I almost always use Sherry to thin out canned creamed soups for cooking. The slightly nutty flavor improves the flavor like nothing else, imo. I'd say 1/4 to 1/2 cup to a can of soup. Have fun with your cooking marathon! :)

Thank you for the tip. I'm using cooking sherry right now. I've searched and searched the wine section at WalMart and haven't found it, but the cooking sherry is actually pretty good, although I have to be careful since it is salty. I'll keep looking.

Is the cooking sherry cheaper? If not, why would you use it? The addition of salt was originally to keep the help from drinking it.

Back
Top Bottom