Dinner Wednesday the 13th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We stopped at our favorite diner in CT, Blue Colony Diner. They have wonderful, and wonderfully huge, dinner specials every night. Prix fixe specials that include soup, salad, entree with sides, and your standard, non-alcoholic beverage. Himself ordered beef veggie soup, roasted pork, baked potato, and green beans. I got seafood bisque, meatloaf (they have such a good one), corn, and mashed potatoes. We ate our soup and salads, and about 1/4 each of our entrees. If I'm clever, we have leftovers for another two days! BTW, his entire meal cost $12.95, mine was $11.95. What! A! Deal!

I swear, Steve, one of these days I'm showing up at your place with my knife, fork, and napkin. I'd bring wine, too, but I'd just mess it up...

Home too late to make a big meal...just some snacks
xo0HK46.jpg

OK, that looks raw and the squid/cuttlefish seems to not have been cleaned?

We're having Mexican Mystery Meat ;) I found a chunk of meat in the freezer yesterday with no identification of what it is. The freezer bag was partially opened so I decided to go ahead and thaw and cook it today. I'm sure it's either pork shoulder or a chuck roast. I'm going to cook it in the Instant Pot with lard, Mexican seasonings and a quick jalapeno-tomatillo sauce and make chile verde. I'll probably make tacos with it with corn tortillas, Monterey Jack cheese, sliced avocado and pickled red onions.

It turned out to be pork ? It was too loose to make tacos, so I served it over rice.

Attachments

• 1460632362998.jpg
    1460632362998.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 140
Thanks, K! I don't have access to a grill at the moment, so what I do is roast it in the oven until the internal temp is 120, then quickly pan sear in a little butter just to put a nice crust on the outside.
After I separated 5 years ago, I was in the same situation. I was in a third floor apartment with no balcony so I went 3 years without a grill. I thought I would never have a well cooked steak again, as the only way to cook it was over fire. I soon learned that a pan seared, or broiled steak was just as good once you figure out how to do it. Even, now that I am back in a house with an outdoor grill, I have no problems doing steak in a pan or under a broiler...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom