Do you cook with Aloe leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
Lately I have noticed that my local grecery store has begun to carry Aloe leaves. Not the litttle petite one you grow in a pot on the window sill, but giant 3 footers! What to you cook that requires a 3 foot aloe leaf?

Did you read this line there, Z??
Because some people are funny about textures, I should warn you that raw aloe is extremely slimy. Think okra x10. Cooking it reduces the slime factor considerably, but it does still have a viscous slippery feel to it.
Pinching lips and running for the bathroom.....:sick::yuk:

I haven't heard of cooking with aloe until now :LOL:, only drinking aloe juice and the topical usages. There's definite nutritional value, so why not!

Having a quick look at how aloe vera is used from a cooking perspective, it seems to be with beverages and in 'dessert' forms (cubes of the peeled aloe leaf)... Makes sense. It reminds me a little of nata de coco. So maybe a good addition to beverages like bubble tea, etc.

We actually have big aloe plants in our garden... and now I'm starting to have ideas....

My mom had a rare autoimune desease that affected her skin. She used to drink the juice, and also buy the aloe to rub on her skin. The doctor told her that it was better than lotions. But not once did she EAT it.:sick:

Maybe it's just me, I don't see a huge difference between drinking and eating it :LOL: doesn't seem that terrible.

If I can find the darn plant (we have so many succulents it's hard to point out which is the aloe and which is a plant that simply looks like it... not something you want to mistake) I'll test it out as a bubble tea filler like nata de coco is used and I'll let you know!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom