Do you have a favorite herb, or spice, so some combination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I wrote PURE chili powder I meant PURE not a blend. I will make powders from ancho, guajillo, New Mexican, cascabell, mulato, pasilla and arbol. Japones aren't as available here as arbol. I like experimenting with different combos. Cumin for sure, paprika not so much. I also don't put beans in chili, but I do put chilis in my beans.

I always use the rule that if it's spelled 'chile' powder it's meant to be just dried ground chiles. If it's spelled 'chili' powder, it's a seasoning blend including chile powder, cumin, oregano, etc.

I don't spell it with an "E" at the end. I've also never heard of that being the case. nor that rule.

Didn't you just make a distinction between chile powder and chili powder? Or do you mean it's just the name of a country when "chile" is capitalized?

Just that the word chile can have more than one meaning. Capitalized it's the name of a country. Lower case it's a category of peppers.

Besides the name of a country, chile is the Spanish name for peppers - i.e. chile ancho. Chili is probably the bastardized English version, and eventually became the name of the dish. Sometimes I see both used in the same article or book, and not for different things!

Another of those you say tomato, I say tomato things, except somebody changed the spelling way back! lol

Last edited:
Just that the word chile can have more than one meaning. Capitalized it's the name of a country. Lower case it's a category of peppers.
In some quarters and in a certain tone, it means a kid has a whoopin' in his future if he doesn't straighten up.

Besides the name of a country, chile is the Spanish name for peppers - i.e. chile ancho. Chili is probably the bastardized English version, and eventually became the name of the dish. Sometimes I see both used in the same article or book, and not for different things!

Another of those you say tomato, I say tomato things, except somebody changed the spelling way back! lol
No, chili is the name of the dish made with chili powder, which includes chiles [emoji2] Interestingly, the Spanish word chile is based on the Nahuatl (an indigenous Mexican language) word chilli [emoji892]

This is why writers need copy editors, but, since publishing is so easy these days, people often skip the editing process.

Last edited:

Which was why I wrote, " I thought "Chile" was just the name of a country." including the word "just". But, I see from further posts, that it is also used for the pepper, which I vaguely remember from years ago.

I use all sorts of spice and herbs and my faves are usually fresh herbs but that said, there is one seasoning mix that I use often for roasted meats - especially chicken and almost anything that needs a little boost.. Embarrassingly simple and comes in a cool can - I especially like the white pepper blend.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Slap-Ya-Mama-Seasoning/dp/B00KYH9VYU

View attachment 35407

I can buy Slap Ya Mama locally at most grocery stores. I have some of the yellow can, and it is good in small amounts. It is quite salty.

CD

I love cardamom, freshly ground fine. The Scandinavians use it in pastry, similar to the way we use cinnamon.

I like cardamom mixed with freshly shaved nutmeg, ground cloves, and vanilla in pumpkin pie and spice cake. On a cold morning, these spices in warm almond milk is lovely.

I love cardamom, freshly ground fine. The Scandinavians use it in pastry, similar to the way we use cinnamon.

I like cardamom mixed with freshly shaved nutmeg, ground cloves, and vanilla in pumpkin pie and spice cake. On a cold morning, these spices in warm almond milk is lovely.

Ive had cardamom cookies , which were fabulous
I also love some Indian desserts, which also have a strong presence to cardamom.
There was this carrot pudding type dish, which I tried cause it was the only desert on the buffet line. I was hesitant at first, but it was absolutely delicious.

Also, the gulab balls ( Gulab Jamun) which are a fried soft cheese ball in a sweet , sugary rose petal/ cardamom flavored syrup.

Back
Top Bottom