Do you like to watch cooking shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I would venture to say that the majority of people at work from 11 to 7 also don't cook anything in depth every day, which makes sense that apparently FTV's big day for actual cooking shows is Saturday.

In our market, America's Test Kitchen comes on once a week, at 3:30 on Saturday. To me, that's a strange time, but I guess it works for the local PBS.

I thoroughly enjoyed last night's cocktail show on Good Eats, although I think martinis should always be shaken. :wacko: Given a choice between Molto Mario and Good Eats, I'll choose Good Eats every time, even if the skits do get a little inane sometimes. I have hundreds of cookbooks, many with explanations as to how to perform every step, if I need a lesson in cooking. I watch FTV for the actual entertainment value.

I agree with everything you said until the entertainment value stuff.

I know how to cook, have hundreds of cookbooks, enter contests, etc. etc. but watching Gainda go behind the scenes or yet another RR show with celebrities or a show about kitchen makeovers or how they make Heath bars or travel shows (except for a cooks tour which was great) ... well I don;t find any of that entertaining in the slightest.

I want to watch shows about food and cooking.

I WANT DAVID ROSENGARTEN BACK!:w00t2:

I love cooking shows..Cooking shows, not a comedy or drama..If I wanted that I'd watch reruns of Everybody loves Raymond:LOL: I first became fasinated with cooking shows when I stumbled on PBS on day..Mayanne Esposito, Julia, Jacques, and Diana Kennedy, Martin Yan, Lidia,Charlie Trotter. Wow, I was hooked...I enjoy a few of the food network people, but find the kitchen make overs and behind the scenes type things, not for me, I'd rather learn..Show me how to carve a turkey, make that great loaf of bread..for me, that is what I watch cooking shows for..Once in a while I'll look at some of the other shows, but they don't hold my interest for long. I'd rather be trying out something new I saw or read about.

kadesma:)

The best are Giada; Food 911; Michael Ferello, NAPA Valley Easy Entertaining; and Bobby Flay BBQ, are my favorites.

My favorite when I was just starting out was an Amish Cooking show on PBS I have 2 VCR tapes full of her wonderful home cooked meals and desserts! But sadly they are not on any more. We just got cable 2 weeks ago and I just love Rachael Ray. Most nights I have one hour to cook dinner and eat before we are running to practice or games or school programs. I have almost everything already in my kitchen that Rachael uses and I just love her use of spices. Now I cook almost every night instead of cooking 4-6 meals on the weekend and reheating during the week or take out or those horrible frozen dinners.

I think it was that chocolate guy who cooked with Caprial - he had a French name, but can't remember what it was. He always had a somewhat "affected" attitude to me. I liked her much better than him. I watch the shows for information and help - not entertainment - if they begin to do too much of that, I stop watching.

licia said:
I think it was that chocolate guy who cooked with Caprial - he had a French name, but can't remember what it was. He always had a somewhat "affected" attitude to me. I liked her much better than him. I watch the shows for information and help - not entertainment - if they begin to do too much of that, I stop watching.
licia,
I use to watch Capril too. But, don't remember the chocolate guy..But, was wondering if you meant Jaqcue Torres? He made some beautiful chocolate goodies, and I liked that part, if the sound was OFF:LOL:

kadesma

I googled Caprial and think that it a show with her husband, John. They cooked a lot on the grill.

But the place that I found that info was from HERE a NPR story about a very bizzare cookbook ....

Capril Pence was one of my early favorites. First in Cooking with Capril then in Capril's Cafe. I learned a lot from her and liked her recipes. Her black bean soup is still a regular on my table.

In the early days, also learned from Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Jeff Smith and Martin Yan.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Capril Pence was one of my early favorites. First in Cooking with Capril then in Capril's Cafe. I learned a lot from her and liked her recipes. Her black bean soup is still a regular on my table.

In the early days, also learned from Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Jeff Smith and Martin Yan.
They were fantastic to watch, entertaining but you came away having learned something..I wish it were possible to have them all back..

kadesma:)

No, kadesma, his name was Mercedes, Marceau or something like that. He had his own program one time mostly about chocolate. I haven't seen anything of him in quite a while. He may have overdone it with chocolate. Andy, could you post Caprial's black bean recipe, please? I've never seen her make that. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
licia:

Here's the recipe. It's nto exactly the same as her original but it's close.

Black Bean Soup

1 Lb Dry Black Beans
1/2 Oz Chipotle Peppers
2 Tb Olive Oil
1/4 Lb Pancetta
1 Carrot
1 Celery Stalk
1 Onion
4 Garlic Cloves
8 C Chicken Stock
2 Tb Tomato Paste
1 or 2 Smoked Pork Hocks or
1 Ham Bone from baked ham
Black Pepper
8 Oz Anduille Sausage
1 tsp Cumin
Sour Cream
Scallion

Wash and clean the beans and prepare for cooking according to package directions.

Soak the chipotle peppers in hot water for 30 minutes then cut open and remove the pith and seeds. Dice.

Dice the pancetta, carrots, celery, onions and garlic.

In a 7 1/2-8 Qt. sauce pan, sauté the pancetta in the oil until the fat is rendered and the lean is golden. Add the diced vegetables and sauté slowly.

Add the stock, paste, hocks, black pepper, beans, chipotle peppers and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. When a bean can be easily smashed between two fingers, cooking is done. Remove the hocks. Puree part of the cooked mixture in a blender to thicken the soup.

Add the sausage and cook until heated through.

Serve with a garnish of sour cream and chopped scallions.

Serves 6

Note: The Pancetta can be omitted, using only oil in its place. If necessary, you may substitute a small can of green chili peppers in place of the Chipotle. Use any smoked sausage in place of the Anduille.

Back
Top Bottom