Do you shell yor shrimp before cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a specific answer for you. Sometimes.

If the shrimp is part of a dish and is mixed in with a number of other ingredients, I shell it completely. I don't believe my guests need/want to pick up a messy shrimp to pull off its shell (even if it's only the tail).

For shrimp cocktail I partially peel it, leaving on the tailpiece.

For peel and eat recipes, obviously they stay on.

If the shrimp is part of a dish and is mixed in with a number of other ingredients, I shell it completely. I don't believe my guests need/want to pick up a messy shrimp to pull off its shell (even if it's only the tail).

+1

I do not think the tail or shell adds any bonus flavor to the recipe.

+3 ;)

I do not think the tail or shell adds any bonus flavor to the recipe.
I do. The shells on any shellfish add depth and a seafood flavor to any dish. In fact I make shrimp stock regularly and when I have lobster I keep the shells for stock or to fortify the next lobster dish. I would never consider cooking mussels or clams without the shell on. If the recipe calls for no shell I remove them after I partially cook them.
Shells are valuable and very important.

Answer to OP. I would never peel shrimp if not for the vein. I buy extra large shrimp and the vein must go. Cooking shrimp in the shell seems to keep the shrimp plumper and larger.

Back
Top Bottom