Doctor Those Canned Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I used to love VanCamp's pork and beans. With that little piece of pork in the can. They quit putting it in much to my dismay. Now, I'm fond of Bush's Original recipe, and bonus, it has a little pice of pork in it. Even so, I enjoy a little molasses added, about a tbs. prr 16 oz. can of beans.

How do you doctor your canned beans?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Bush's canned beans here as well. I fry some bacon. When almost crispy I add chopped onion and a little chopped red bell. Bring to a simmer then turn off and allow to sit until dinner time.

Canned black beans are very good as well. I get them at Costco. Very little salt and organic which does not matter to me at all.
I saute/fry some meat. Bacon or salt pork or panchetta. Like above I add chopped onion but with bell pepper and garlic. Saute for a few minutes then dump in the can of beans. Simmer for about 5 minutes turn off heat.
Served over rice. White or yellow. Very good.

Like you, I use Bush's Original beans. I add a bit of chopped onion, red or green bell pepper, brown sugar, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, mix is all up, place in oven proof dish, top with chopped bacon and then bake uncovered in a 325F oven for about 90 minutes. It is a hit at pot luck's too.

I use B&M baked beans. I'm generally happy with the original recipe. Sometimes I go for the bacon and onion version. If I add anything, it's usually BBQ sauce to go with something smoked.

Always go with Heinz because they are vegetarian. When Im in the mood Ill add a little sauerkraut, a squirt of mustard and slice up some hot dogs ( vegetarian) and mix. Nice quick throw together lunch for me.

I too love B&M Baked beans, especially from the brown jar, wich I repurpose as candle holders. They were my Dad's favorite. That's the flavor I'm going for when I doctor the Bush's original with molases. B&M in the jar is harder to find around here. That's the reason I use the Bush's.

Andy, as always, you & I think alot alike. We have very somilar taste prefferences, except for our tolerance for pepper heat levels.

Last edited:
I doctored some dark red kidney beans straight from the can. They came out way better than I expected. I put the beans into a small pot, added a tbs. of dark molasses, and a tsp. of pre-made taco seasoning. That's it, no mustard, brown sugar, no proteins. It was really tasty, especially for something so easy. I believe that the key to this working is the natural sweetness of the dark red kidney beans in the can liqueur. At any rate, you now really say that I'm full of beans lol.

I used to love VanCamp's pork and beans. With that little piece of pork in the can. They quit putting it in much to my dismay. Now, I'm fond of Bush's Original recipe, and bonus, it has a little pice of pork in it. Even so, I enjoy a little molasses added, about a tbs. prr 16 oz. can of beans.

How do you doctor your canned beans?

I like the Bush's beans with
Onion, but they're not always easy to find. I like to buy the shorts cans and if you find anything it's usually the big can. If I'm adding just franks, I might add a little extra brown sugar and some hot pepper sauce but not much, just scant. I don't do it anymore but I used to add a touch of bourbon.

Most recently I bought the Bush's Maple, and honestly I'm not the huge fan of maple that most people are but I did like it a lot and all I added to it was a little hot pepper sauce. So I may buy those again.

I doctor canned B&M beans with just small amounts of brown sugar or molasses, ketchup, brown mustard, my homemade BBQ rub, and if available a small squirt of SBR BBQ sauce.

Back
Top Bottom