Does anyone grind cinnamon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I got a bee in my bonnet that fresh cinnamon would be better than the kind that is sold powdered.

So - does anyone grind their own - and if so, what kind of grinder do you use? It is a big hassle to get enough to bake with?

thanks.

Too get my cinnamon from Penzy's and it is so good, that I don't bother to grind my own. Buy smallish amounts and keep them fresh (buy what you think that you will use in a year).

My favorite from them is "Penzy's cinnamon" it is a blend of China cinnamon, Vietnamese cinnamon, Korintje cinnamon, Ceylon cinnamon. really great stuff.

Around Christmas time, I would often buy cheap sticks to make decorations with. One year I had a couple left over. Decided to use the microplane to use up the other sticks. Took forever. But it did give me a really fine powder. No, not worth your time or effort. Not when there are really good products out there to buy. :)

I grind my own in a mortar and pestle. IMO, it is much better tasting. I use a mix of cloves and cinnamon, both freshly ground.

I did not know that there are so many kind of cinamons !!!!!

When I'm in the Penzy's store, I like to smell them all individually. It's really interesting how they all have their own unique aroma, but all still identifiable as cinnamon, some mild, some spicy etc..

Grinding your own doesn't automatically mean better or fresher.

It all depends on the quaility and freshness of the whole spice you are grinding.

Because super fresh and delicious ground cinnamon is readily available at reasonable prices, grinding my own is not something I would spend time on.

I also really enjoy the different types of Penzey's cinnamons.

I grind my own in a mortar and pestle. IMO, it is much better tasting. I use a mix of cloves and cinnamon, both freshly ground.
Wow! I've tried that and I didn't get a very good powder. I got lots of 1-1.5 mm pieces left in the powder. That was after a fair bit of effort.

How big is your mortar and pestle?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom