Does anyone know about Marco Pierre White Copper cookware by Beka?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wysiwyg

Senior Cook
I saw today an oval roaster with lid at a TJMAxx store.
The brand is Marco Pierre White by Beka, it is cooper with SS interior.
Looks like is cookware from Germany or UK. The price was U$S50 and the pot was about 17"x11", the cooper looked about 1.5 mm thick and handles were made out of black thermoplastics.
Any feedback on this is appreciated, thanks.

:chef:Hi wysiwyg geetika again I own two of the Beka series copper pans. Yes, bought them from TJmax Denver. Well, the chef Marco Pierre is a world-renowned chef from Uk. Hence, the pans are from England you can goggle and find a lot of info on amazon.com UK. Yep, these pans are 1.5mm copper with stainless steel lining and sell for a lot of money on the U.K. websites. They do discolor a bit on high flame but I polish them back to new with copperbrill bought it from william and sonama. The interior can also be easily cleaned and I use a commercial powder for it. Well, let me know how it goes?

Hi geetika,
Thank you for the information, I wasn't aware about this chef and the brand (Beka).
It sounded German to me, but I will do a search on this stuff.
My main concern was the wall thickness of this pan, the finish (matte) is good because it doesn't need a lot of extra care. Very similar to some Faulk Culinaire pans I have, but these are much thicker.
Relative to cleaning, I'd rather use a natural acid like either lemon juice or vinegar with a mild abrasive (salt or baking powder). It is cheaper that chemical cleaners and if I leave traces on the pan, I won't get sick when I ingest them.
For the price, I will buy it if available and will let you know how it goes for sure.
Thanks again.

I've seen a few of them at Marshalls ... looks like a quality product as far as the metal is concerned. Not thrilled with the handles.

Hi,
wysiwyg I am sending you some info from net. Also could you tell me how to bring a shine to my tin lining in baumalu cookware?

geetika.

Marco Pierre White - Copper Oval Roaster + Lid 42cm x 29.5cm
Buy new: £250.00 £119.97
Get it by Tuesday, Jan 22 if you order in the next 65 hours and choose express delivery.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery.
:pig:

Marco Pierre White Copper 24cm Casserole + Lid
Beka

RRP: £150.00
Price: £149.85 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save: £0.15
Availability: In stock. Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.
Reviews
Manufacturer's Description
The number one choice of top professional chef's world-wide, copper cookware is virtually unmatched for its durability and heat distribution. To help bring outstanding cookware to the domestic kitchen, Beka has launched the Copper Collection (1001), part of The White Heat Collection bv Marco Pierre White. Combining the benefits of stainless steel and copper, this new range has been designed to create the ultimate cooking experience for discerning chefs.
Designed in conjunction with leading restaurateur and 3 star Michelin chef Marco Pierre White, the range features a unique brushed copper exterior with stylish cast stainless steel black handles, combined with a stainless steel interior. The brushed copper exterior combines maximum style whilst minimising the maintenance issue so often required with highly-polished copper.

Marco Pierre White comments: Cookware is all about performance and having the right pan for the right job is essential. When designing the Copper Collection (1001), the selection of materials, the weight, the balance, the choice of handle and the design features were all carefully considered to create a range which, in my opinion, provides the ultimate tools for those who want to cook like a true professional.

Reviews
This pan is from the new Bi-Ply Copper range by Marco Pierre White. Made to incredibly high standards, each pan features a cast stainless steel handle with a black non-slip coating. They also feature handy capacity measurements on the inside of the pan and are suitable for all heat sources (except induction).

•24cm Casserole from the 1001 Bi-Copper series by Marco Pierre White
•Made from 1.5mm extra thick copper for optimum heat distribution with a stainless steel layer for exceptional cooking performance
•Other features include a pouring rim, cast stainless steel handles, capacity measurements and a satin finish
•Suitable for use on all heat sources except for induction
•Part of a new extensive collection of performance cookware by Marco Pierre White
•Hand wash and dry only

geetika,
Thanks again, I was reading the same page you posted LOL
I will check TJMaxx today and buy the pan if available, can't go wrong for 50 bucks but I will take a close look at the handles as Robo410 pointed.
I replied to your other posting on cleaning tin, let me know if you have questions.

beka

Thanks wysiwyg your tips have been really helpful. I used my new baumalu pan yesterday and boy!!! was I impressed needs low heat for cook and does not oxidize or discolor that easily. Bought my stock pot from "tuesday morning" on sale for 47 dollars the store usually sells it for 150 $$.

The handles on the beka copper collection are heavy and I personally do not have much to complain about for the price I paid $50 and $40 for them. Let me know if you buy them today. Happy shopping.:chef:

Just found and bought a 2 1\2 quart Beka stock pot or soup pot at Marshalls for $49.00. The black handles are not plastic but black anodized stainless steel. Went to the Beka web site and it is made in Germany but sold in England. Check out Legion cookware made in USA. for brushed or bright copper finished pots (stainless steel lined). I have one of the bigger oval casserole pans with a domed lid.

geetika and oneoffour,
Thank you for the information, I already checked with the store today to hold the pan for me. It is an oval Au Gratin pan with lid, not very tall but about 17"x12".
Thank you for the tip on the handles, I verified on the website and this pan is safe to use on the oven too. Looked to me the cooper was not 1.5 mm thick (looked thinner), but at this price, I can't argue it is a good deal. Specially when Amazon UK has it for 150 Lbs.

Well congrats wysiwyg and oneoffour on your new pans. Yes, true one can not argue with the fact that for the price it is a good deal. The handles are not plastic but I guess stainless steel and the pan can also go in the oven and the lining being stainless steel is easier to maintain. Enjoy your pans.:chef:

geetika
Regarding bringing a shine to the tin lining of your Baumiel cookware. One word, don't. Tin is very soft and is easily removed. It is there to protect against possible contamination with acid foods reacting with copper. Tin naturally darkens with use, and the discolor in no way affects the cooking. Attempting to shine will only result in a non usable pot. The only correct way to clean tin pots is to use soap and a cloth, and a long soak with soap if something sticks in the pot. With care, tin lined copper will last for years. One good scrubbing with an abrasive, and you will be paying for a retinning. Was at Tuesdays this AM, and saw the Baumiel they have. Looks good, and the 1.5 is about the minimum for quality copper cookware, but my 3mm is too heavy for many cooks. I have two large DeHellerin pots which I purchased once used from a lady who simply could not lift them. (at half price) I love them and use them often. Cookware must feel comfortable to you to be a pleasure to use. Would have probably bought the stock pot if it was on sale. It wasn't.

Thanks, BigJim68 :chef::chef:I will be just using soap and water to clean my lining. However, I do use copperbrill to give a shine to the outer copper surface. Well, you are right about using the cookware one is comfortable with and I really like cooking in my copper pans. Good for you for getting a good deal on your 3mm copper pans. I just recently bought a set of 4 3mm sauce pans from denver, you can check them out at rocky mountain retinning.com.

I purchased a set of saucepans from Rocky Mountain Retinning, a few months ago, then liked them so well I purchased a set for a friend for Christmas. The ones you bought are the ones I bought. They are among the best deals around for copper cookware and are probably limited in quantity. You will love them. Most copper cleaners are comparable. I use Wrights as it is available and inexpensive in Richmond.

Hello, Bigjim68 it is nice to know that the copper pans I purchased are of high quality. Do you have any additional info on them li or origin? You mentioned that you bought two sets one as a chirstmas present. Well, your friend must be very happy with a beautiful gift. Did you get to buy the copper pan at tuesday morning? too many questions for you;)

The story I got is that the guy at Rocky Mountain got makings from someone who had purchased them in Europe with the idea of finishing them here for resale. I think that the handles are attached and they are tinned and polished here. I have no idea how many sets he has. I especially like the lids with the long handles. The pots are very heavy, and the assembly seems to have been well done. They look like French or Italian to me. As far as I know, this is the only pans that RMR sells, and he told me that they were a 1 time thing. The gift set I purchased was for a Cambodian employee of mine who is one of the best cooks that I have ever known, and she has been trying to teach me what she knows about cooking, especially oriental. A very fair tradeoff.
The Baumaiel cookware at Tuesday Morning was not on sale when I was last there. It looks pretty good, and its lighter weight and smaller handles would probably work better than the really heavy stuff for a smaller person. I did notice that edge is rolled, which makes me wonder about measuring the thickness. I have aroud 15-20 copper pots and pans, and use them or cast iron exclusively, so I don't buy just anything.

Wow Bigjim68,
I checked some pictures of the pans you are referring to, those pots are impressive.
Cooper is about 20% heavier than cast iron, at 3 mm wall thk those pots must be very heavy indeed.
I'd imagine your comments are correct, there is no way you can manufacture these pots here in USA (specially with the current cost of cooper) and make a profit selling them for $200/set. I'd even venture to say they are not made in France or Italy, perhaps Eastern Europe or even Turkey. The extra work for the handles and the hand hammering is just too much manufacturing for this price. Baumalu sells hammered cooper, but is machine stamped, those pots on the pictures have been hammered by hand.

I have to put my two cents Engineering comment:
The one thing I critize about these pans is the location of the rivets attaching the handle to the pot (Baumalu does it exactly the same way, Mauviel not).
It is not a good engineering practice to set three attachments on line for this application, it is much more efficient to have an off-set design with two attachments on top and one below. This helps reduce bending stress and durability of the rivets.

Just got a Beka Marco Pierre White 11 3/4" saute, copper clad ss, for nothing. It was dirty, burnt grease and carbon, but cleaned up beautifully. Nice pan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom