Does anyone know what this is??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where there's a will there's a way...
just go to Etsy and there are tons of shaped bowls - especially for condiments.
Man, you can even get a donkey carrying your stuff for you.

We have to account for the 3 tail-like legs. What are they for? If this were a stand of some sort, their shape is wrong. The lobe-like ends would be of no value for a stand, and the whole thing can be stable only on a flat surface. The thing is obviously, modern and mass-produced, and its construction, while not exactly flimsy, does not suggest that it's a tool for meant for repeated and extensive use. More likely something that was brought out as a semi-decorative/semi-practical object for occasional use.
If you look at it closely you will see that there is a circular base as well as the points. and tables are flat surfaces.
I agree it is for occasional use, but that also depends entirely on the person's normal way of serving. Many restaurants have condiment holders on each and every table.
Picnic/BBQ meals have a plethora of gadgets meant for those meals only.

So taxy mentioned on another Thread about a 3rd bottle on the cruet stand. So I had to go looking and found this. It shows the 3rd bottle but then there is a 4th, with a spoon.
I'm pretty sure the 4th is for mustard which was/is a popular condiment at the table. But this is the only cruet I've found that shows another bottle of any sort. Very common on antique cruets are spaces for the salt and pepper shakers.
Note the stopper on the small square bottle, that was common for vinegars and oils - so obviously a liquid.
Gorgeous set, and well used.
4 bin cruets.jpg

Etsy antique link for cruet if anyone wants to check it out!

another cruet.jpg
individual pieces 1.jpg

cermic holder.jpg
another fine example of a 5 piece cruet. Mustard, open salt, open pepper. The stand is ceramic and wood.

Finally, another one of the very, very few I've found that have the extra dispenser. I've come to think that extra is for either more vinegar or perhaps extra oil. (One of the shakers is missing but seller says he has the cap!) :)
My father often had vinegar on the table as he often used it on spinach or cucumbers at the table. It was a stand-alone glass bottle with a glass stopper. Think I still have it in the China cabinet, I'll have to check.

extra vinegar.jpg
2 vinigars.jpg

I think many people used the extra bottle for hot pepper infused vinegar, similar to our hot sauce.

Many of the older sets only have one shaker for pepper.

Salt was available in open salts.

1693229023847.jpeg

I suppose it all depended on the family’s likes and dislikes.

I was going to suggest the hot peppery vinegar. I have been going through items that I got when my mother passed. Many are from her mother and grandmother. Some of the fancier things, I have been using on a daily basis. (Yes, Aunt Bea, next to my grocery store plates!) This past week, I came across this set of sterling salt spoons, but one is broken. They were a wedding gift for my great-grandmother. I know a silversmith who has been terrific at little repairs, so I sent these salt spoons off with him. I have adorable little salt cellars.

It's so much fun for me to use those special pieces whenever I can use them rather than on special occasions only. I don't store food in any of my special pieces (glass and ceramics) due to not knowing what they are made of, but will use them for a meal.

20230825_161822.jpg

Friends would protest when I hauled out silverware or dishes. But I agrre with you Kathleen, why not? I believe those things should be used!

I kept "sets" of silverware wrapped up handy in a drawer. If one friend came over I would just grab two sets, one for her, other for me. If two happen to come by, I could grab 3 sets.
Sadly due to circumstance, it doesn't happen any more but maybe again one day! Never say never! !

Back
Top Bottom