Does cooking soothe your soul?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I find many of the threads where someone asks "what is your favourite..." or "what is your background/knowledge/interest of a certain subject" quite interesting. So, I decided I would try one.

When I am really stressed or down I find that baking or cooking really soothes me. It is where I can really find myself again....specially if I am making something for others.

The thing that most calms me is baking cookies. I have been known to get up and bake 12 dozen chocolate chip cookies (I have a convection oven and KA pro mixer) at midnight because I can't sleep.....and then give them away to the nieghbours grandchildren or our youth group. There are always cookies in my freezer.

How about you - does cooking soothe your soul and is there any particular thing that works best?

Baking except for bread sets my teeth on edge. But let me make my pasta gravy or make the filling for stuffed onions and I'm happy as a clam. I adore the smells and really making the pasta gravy brings so many memories a smile replaces any frowns. It relaxes me and I adore the smells. It's time consuming but it erases and unhappiness. My home filled with good food is my top priority. Great topic Laurie.
kades

I don't do any baking at all, I think mainly because it takes real concentration, and when I need my soul soothed I don't concentrate well at all. I really admire those who bake well.
Cooking is another story, and it often is very soothing to me. Often, if I'm upset about something I'll cook something that takes a lot of chopping....whack, whack, whack.......it works wonders.

I usually zen out staring at the flames and the glows of coals during a cook.
I can never get this feeling in an indoor kitchen. I also don't like to have people around me when I'm in this state of mind.

I'm not sure I'd describe it as soothing my soul.

When I'm doing a lot of cooking or preparing a new and complex recipe, I find I have to really concentrate and that forces all other thoughts out of my head for a while. That is usually (but not always) followed by a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction occasionally followed by compliments.

Now THAT makes me feel good.

Yup! Slicing, dicing, chopping, mixing, cooking... better than a Valium for me! :)

i adore making food & giving food to others. & cooking's a distraction that diverts me from stressors for a few. i'm adept @ several types of foods; i luv cooking soups as they allow for many adaptations. they're very easily stored, too. & they can be thinned or thickened so well, or adapted using stocks or soup-bases. they could be made of potato or of tomato or of cheese or of yesterday's dinner or of noodles & broth. & a few cheese rinds tossed into a simple veggie/veggie-beef soup is heaven on earth!

Wow, some great answers! I am afraid if I am too stressed I avoid the chopping and dicing...I might get too carried away LOL!!!!

hey, laurie, if ya slice/dice too many foods, a foodsaver is a great item for that! :)

I find cooking to be the ultimate in relaxation, even if I am running around trying to get everything done at the same time. There's bad stress and good stress...cooking, for me, is all good. It's very cathartic.

I feel my best when starting with a pot of water and adding to it to make stock, then adding more to create a one of a kind soup.

Pretty much just being in the kitchen making anything. Like GrillingFool though, give me a knife and I'm zoning out. Love to slice, dice, chop, etc...

Love cooking soups, stews, chili, etc. The aroma of something that is so comforting when you eat it.

Sometimes I'm completely happy in the kitchen, cooking, baking, prepping, etc. But sometimes I want to be far far away. I don't like having lots of people in my kitchen when I'm trying to do anything so I always try to do as much as possible ahead. I remember as a child watching my grandmother and all her daughters and daughters-in-law working like beavers in the kitchen and enjoying it so much, and wish I could be like that.

Cooking and baking are two of the things that can take my mind off of everything... They put me in a zone of just focusing on the task at hand and i'm suddenly in a world of my own... I love being in the kitchen, it warms my soul... :):):)

I so agree Mimi! I just spent two hours trying out my new Cricut cake and even though I have nothing to put my decorations on (just practice runs for the cake due Sunday), it was so relaxing.

Have you had any problems with tearing??? I use it at medium speed and medium tension for large pieces, however the smaller ones are a bit tougher to make I find... What are you using??? I've heard the frosting sheets are horrible...
BTW I viewed your cake pics a few weeks back and I must tell you they are beautiful, do you own your own shop??? XOXO Mimi...

P.S. LP found a new site you might like called cakecentral.com haven't joined it yet just viewed... It's pretty interesting...

Last edited:
I love to cook various rice dishes.

i don't like to cook for myself, I like to cook for others. Cooking is a kind of experiment for me, I apply different methods and different spices and when the end product tastes good I feel like a scientist, who is successful in his experiments.

Radhuni, I would love to try some of your rice recipes. I am sure the flavours are marvelous!

I too prefer to cook for others. But when I am cooking a large meal I rarely eat it. I guess I have had my fill with all the tasting to get it just right!

I, too, enjoy the chopping and preparations involved in cooking. On days that I don't cook, I feel like I'm really missing something.

Back
Top Bottom