Does it matter, if when making ragu, I use white or red wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn’t matter to me.

I rarely have wine available but I do sometimes add a splash of apple cider or red wine vinegar.

A little acid does help to bring out the flavor in many dishes.

Experiment with what you have and what you enjoy.

Wine is used in tomato sauce for two reasons.

1. Alcohol dissolves flavor components in tomatoes that otherwise wouldn’t be releasEd, so it ups the tomato flavor.
2. Wine itself is flavorful and adds depth and complexity to the sauce.

it doesn’t matter what kind of wine you use, as long as it’s real wine and not “cooking wine” and is a wine you enjoy drinking on its own.

Red wine is traditional, but some people use vodka because the alcohol will do it’s magic without imparting much taste.

Vermouth/cinzano works as well.
And unlike wine, it doesn't go off.
White wine keeps longer than red.

Wine goes with beans as well, but I would make sure to cook the beans first

I prefer white wine for cooking, and even in French or Italian sauces, like a ragu. Reds can impose more wine flavor, which I don't like. They can overpower other flavors.

People in France and Italy use both, too.

CD

Also, red wine will darken the colour and turn some things purplish. Sometimes that's okay. Sometimes it will ruin the appearance of a dish.

If it's a ragu/braise that is tomato based, I prefer white wine as I feel the flavors compliment those of the tomatoes better. The tannins in some varietals of red wine don't pair well with tomato based sauces.

However if it is more of a stock based braise (i.e. Braised Short Ribs), then I prefer the flavor of red wine.

Both Italian chefs I've worked under used white wine in many of their ragus/braises like Bolognese, Spezzatino alla Boscaiola, etc. One chef even said that adding red wine to everything was an American Italian thing, and they don't do that in Italy.

Back
Top Bottom