Does Sea Food Work Too? Chef's Table, Carnival Valor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
I mean, the sea has "roads", right? I'm hoping so! Anywho, I am a veteran cruiser, Carnival is perhaps the only line I strategically avoid, BUT, that said, I ended up on this one and it WAS AMAZING.

Simply from the food stance, we were able to do the Chef's table, all I can say is wow. For Carnival, I was WELL impressed, certainly above and beyond anything I was expecting. We were able to do a galley tour w/ assorted amuse, champagne, prior to being seated into our own private room off of the main dining room. Every course, over the 8 courses, was accompanied by the Sommeliers choice of wine, a Chefs debriefing of the plate, and overall, was just really impressive and an awesome dining experience at a mere $75 per head. . . I know first hand, I would have done the same food/quality, for double that, NOT including wine. A real bargain, and again, super impressed as everything was fundamentally correct.

The start:

Chorizo stuffed Date, Piquillo Sofrito

kalamata w/ Parmesan Core, Candied Orange Zest

*EDIT* Img warning from the site, only 8 allowed, view full set to see this course. . .

Focaccia, Mascarpone Cream, Prosciutto Crudo

Langoustine & sundried Tomato jam fritter

9900426994_b3c999177b_b.jpg

Tomatoes "Our Way"

9900361295_45a7a5cbd9_b.jpg

Tuna Bahn Mi: lemon Bread, Sesame Crisp, Miso Cream, Avocado Gel

9900500963_a33586650a_b.jpg

Cornish Hen: Sous vide, Citrus jus, Parmesan & Balsamic Caviar

9900393356_b80fa8a5c9_b.jpg

Soup & Salad: Spinach, Green pea Puree, Turnip & Apple Bisque, Beet Ribbons

9900390386_044f3feb04_b.jpg

Salmon: Herb pesto, Cured tomatoes, carrot, Mushroom earth, Condensed Beets, Citrus Streusel

9900401934_30049c18c5_b.jpg

Wagyu: Short Rib, potato pebbles, pumpkin Fudge w/ Tomato Dust

9900388346_13a6cb459d_b.jpg

Dessert: Chocolate at 88F, Pistachio, Mango, Carrot Cake, Mascarpone Cream, Guava & Caramel Praline

9900401564_88cb10213f_b.jpg

View the full set here:

Chef's Table 2013 - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
TAT, those plates look lovely! But the portions look so small I'd probably go looking for the all-night buffet as soon as I got out of the elegant dinner! Besides, you two had a fun vacation. Welcome home.

A gourmet dinner with eight courses, including wine, for $75 is a great deal. I've attended similar dinners that cost much more. Part of the experience is the whole "food as art" thing and putting together a meal like this is a lot of work.

As for the small portions, when you eat eight small portions it can be surprisingly filling. Granted, it's not an all-you-can-eat dinner at the trouser buster buffet, but it's not supposed to be.

While I don't consider Carnival high end, they have been a great experience for me for the last 5 cruises. The regular dining room food is usually quite tasty and the steakhouse has always been outstanding.

Have yet to try the chef's table but it looks wonderful!

I avoided Carnival until 2007 and honestly I was quite surprised by the experience, not nearly the horror show that many make it out to be. Their ships can't measure up to many, but they are nice in their own right.

A gourmet dinner with eight courses, including wine, for $75 is a great deal. I've attended similar dinners that cost much more. Part of the experience is the whole "food as art" thing and putting together a meal like this is a lot of work.

As for the small portions, when you eat eight small portions it can be surprisingly filling. Granted, it's not an all-you-can-eat dinner at the trouser buster buffet, but it's not supposed to be.

Exactly, the difference between eating, and dining. As a Chef and industry member for over 20 years, it is nice to be on the receiving end of the kitchen.

8 courses, including rich food, yet all in a cohesive manner, add up to a full stomach. A buffet was the LAST thing on my mind after the dinner. A Bourbon and sleep was all that was on my mind.

I'd challenge anyone to find an 8 course, with wine pairings for each course, for $75 (50 quid), and it be to the level this was. This was NOT something we were "taken for", we signed up for it, I wanted to be there.

I respect that it might not be for everyone, but neither is skydiving. What works for me, might not work for you.

Beautiful pics, Tatt! Now show the pics of the kitchens...LOL!! Can't keep him out, even on vacation!

TAT, those plates look lovely! But the portions look so small I'd probably go looking for the all-night buffet as soon as I got out of the elegant dinner! Besides, you two had a fun vacation. Welcome home.
...8 courses, including rich food, yet all in a cohesive manner, add up to a full stomach. A buffet was the LAST thing on my mind after the dinner. A Bourbon and sleep was all that was on my mind.

I'd challenge anyone to find an 8 course, with wine pairings for each course, for $75 (50 quid), and it be to the level this was. This was NOT something we were "taken for", we signed up for it, I wanted to be there....
Come on TAT, don't be upset... I never said it wasn't worth the money, or that you got railroaded into going. Is that what you thought? :( See all those nice things I said? The bold ones? I wish that had been your take-away from my remark. :flowers: And my little ol' post up there looked so innocuous to me. :ermm:

I've never had the pleasure of being at a Chef's Table event, probably won't even be on a cruise because that's never sounded like our "thing" (unless you're talking a Mississippi River or Rhine River small-boat cruise), so I have no concept of how filling that spread could be. And $75 is definitely a fair price, never said it wasn't. But for now I'll have to enjoy those plates vicariously through your photos. :)

Hey, Tatt. It looks like you guys are having a great time. Chef's Table appears to be well worth a visit.

It's really good to see you hear and to learn you're able to enjoy life again.

Come on TAT, don't be upset... I never said it wasn't worth the money, or that you got railroaded into going. Is that what you thought? :( See all those nice things I said? The bold ones? I wish that had been your take-away from my remark. :flowers: And my little ol' post up there looked so innocuous to me. :ermm:

I've never had the pleasure of being at a Chef's Table event, probably won't even be on a cruise because that's never sounded like our "thing" (unless you're talking a Mississippi River or Rhine River small-boat cruise), so I have no concept of how filling that spread could be. And $75 is definitely a fair price, never said it wasn't. But for now I'll have to enjoy those plates vicariously through your photos. :)

Oh no, CG, not upset at all! Sorry if it came off that way!

Back
Top Bottom