Does sugarless tea really help digestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
When I am full I drink sugarless tea, I feel like I'll be hungry again much faster
but if I don't drink anything it really takes a bit longer before I feel hungry again. Does sugarless tea really help digestion or is it just an illusion?

Technically/scientifically I have no idea. Off the top of my head I would say that by drinking a hot liquid of water or tea would help with digestion. Makes sense that the liquid added to your stomach would help the breakdown.

Sugar after a meal, helps to stop the hungar, at least for me it does. If I don't have dessert, usually sweet, I often still feel hungry and might keep on eating.

When I am full I drink sugarless tea, I feel like I'll be hungry again much faster
but if I don't drink anything it really takes a bit longer before I feel hungry again. Does sugarless tea really help digestion or is it just an illusion?

ask a doctor.

I really couldn't tell you if it helps digest food or if it will affect the timing of hunger.
Tea is good for so many things.
Anti-oxidants, that helps everything.
If you are not staying hydrated or if your food lacks moisture, then tea, like water will balance things out, so there is enough water in your system to work smoothly.
It's also a comfort, tradition, and habit for many of us.

I doubt that tea is making any difference. There are a lot of factors that determine when and how hungry people get, including what, how much and when they ate. As long as you're not dehydrated, don't worry about it.

Sugarless anything isn't going to be good for you on any level. I've had to take a deep dive into this after my liver transplant six months ago. Taking prednesone, any kind of sugar, processed food, or High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFS), makes the steroid munchies twice as bad.

If something is labeled "sugarless", read the label. They may be substituting in HFS, anything that ends in "ose", aspartame (don't even get me started on that), or any other number of artificial sweeteners that will get you over time.

This is why all those "fat free" products don't work. To keep them from tasting like crap, they add more sugar and salt.

PS: I've heard good things about Monk Fruit sweetener. Right now I've been using coconut sugar.

Sugarless anything isn't going to be good for you on any level. I've had to take a deep dive into this after my liver transplant six months ago. Taking prednesone, any kind of sugar, processed food, or High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFS), makes the steroid munchies twice as bad.

If something is labeled "sugarless", read the label. They may be substituting in HFS, anything that ends in "ose", aspartame (don't even get me started on that), or any other number of artificial sweeteners that will get you over time.

This is why all those "fat free" products don't work. To keep them from tasting like crap, they add more sugar and salt.
Hm. I didn't take his question to mean that the tea had artificial sweetener but that it just had no sugar.

PS: I've heard good things about Monk Fruit sweetener. Right now I've been using coconut sugar.
All added sugars are made up of some combination of fructose, glucose and sucrose, which are metabolized in pretty much the same ways.

I see that too after having looked at it again. I'm so used to Mom doing everything "sugarless" my mind jumps right to the other one.

Yup, totally agree on the metabolization thing. All in all, moderation on that, which is so hard to do 'cause it's in everything.

Tea without sugar for digestion? Everyone is going to react differently to different ingredients.

I have noticed that if I drink black tea plain, as in no sugar/sweetener or milk (my preferred cuppa), I will get that hunger feeling. As long as I add a bit of sugar (less than 1/4 teaspoon) and a couple tablespoons of dairy, I don't get the hunger "pains". Oddly enough, I drink my coffee black and don't have the same issue. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom