Does this make sense?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Attached is one recipe from a Cuisinart slow cooker cookbook. Do the directions make sense or am I getting too old and confused?

Attachments

• recipe_IMG_5231.jpg
    recipe_IMG_5231.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 25
  • recipe_IMG_5232.jpg
    recipe_IMG_5232.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 25
The directions say to set the timer for 2 hours and then to reset it for 6 hours. Why not just set the timer for 8 hours? 14 hours to cook a soup seems excessive. No matter what time I would start the soup, I would be in bed when it was ready.

The directions say to set the timer for 2 hours and then to reset it for 6 hours. Why not just set the timer for 8 hours? 14 hours to cook a soup seems excessive. No matter what time I would start the soup, I would be in bed when it was ready.
I'm with you! Resetting and resetting???? Weird.... o_O

For the final 6 hours, the temp is reduced to simmer. I want to try this recipe but will not cook it on high for 8 hours and on simmer for 6 hours. This is a brand new slow cooker.

I don't see how the total time comes out to 14 hours. I only saw two hours and the six hours. As Andy wrote, I think it's supposed to be at a lower temperature for the six hour portion of the cooking. I think that's the bit the instructions recipe left out.

For the final 6 hours, the temp is reduced to simmer. I want to try this recipe but will not cook it on high for 8 hours and on simmer for 6 hours. This is a brand new slow cooker.
I think this is a poorly edited recipe with some unnecessary directions. I would say it's finished after cooking for two hours - and I would put it on low, not high, so it will simmer. Then purée some if you want, stir that in to thicken, taste and adjust seasoning, garnish and serve.

Could it be that you start the pot on high and switch to low?
That's how I've always used a slow cooker, although I've never had one with a timer. Just High, Low, and Keep Warm. I put it on on High, and when whatever it is, is almost at a boiling point, turn it down to low until I remember it's on. But that's because I don't just use if for one meal - it's for bulk cooking for freezing in portion sizes.

When my children were young I used my then slow cooker differently, putting it on before I went to bed and leaving it on Low all night.

I read the same way as 2 hours, plus reset to 6 hours and then reset again to 6 hours and then another 2 hours!
Yes, I believe it is a mistake in translation. Nevertheless it does say a total of 16 hours.
Just go with your gut beth. Check out other similar recipes.
Personally I would do all in the fry pan, into the slow cooker, set for 6 hours high or 8 hours low, add your bacon when ever you think about it, add your cream when you turn it off or when it goes to keep warm/simmer. (Surely a Cuisinart goes to simmer/keep warm automatically at least - mine does)

Thanks for all your advice. I will consult other slow cooker recipes and go from there, but certainly for a shorter period of time than the Cuisinart version.

@bethzaring, I agree with @GotGarlic, that the editing job was botched. I think that confusing third paragraph should read:

Cover and press the on/off button to turn the unit on. Set the timer to 2 hours and press High. Once time elapses, set the time again for six hours and press Simmer. When slow cooker switches to Warm, stir in heavy cream and remaining salt. Set timer to 1 hour on Low. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. To serve, stir in remaining bacon.

Honestly, I think even 8 hours is too long. The only meat/veggie going into the pot raw are the potato chunks. Poke a knife tip into them after two hours and decide if they're getting soft. You could even toss the cubes into boiling water for about 8 minutes to get them started, then drain and toss in with everything else. That way the soup should be hot enough to add the cream after 2-3 hours.

Let us know how you cobbled this together and how it ended up. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom