Duck, Duck, Goose!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which one?

• Total voters

ironchef

Executive Chef
I have extra Liberty Farm Duck Breast and Foie Gras that I need to use up tonight. What sounds better:

Pan Seared Liberty Farms Duck Breast and Foie Gras
Pomegranate & Chinese Five-Spice Jus, Chestnut Vinaigrette, Wild Mushroom Risotto Croquette, and Braised Cranberry Beans

Confit of Cioppolini Onions, Fig-Baslamic Reduction, White Truffle Oil, Galette of Yukon Gold Potato, and Rapini

They both sound wonderful but I love risotto and am not so fond of figs, thus my choice.

Confit of Cioppolini Onions, Fig-Baslamic Reduction, White Truffle Oil, Galette of Yukon Gold Potato, and Rapini

But like alix said - they both sound good. But for some reason this one is hitting the spot.

Confit of Cioppolini Onions, Fig-Baslamic Reduction, White Truffle Oil, Galette of Yukon Gold Potato, and Rapini[/QUOTE]

This one only because I don't like chinese 5 spice! Where are you cooking this and what time do I have to be there???

The reason for my choice; merely the mood I'm in. The first seems a bit too fruity for what I'm usually hungry for. Throw some mashed rutabegga, or winter squash, i.e. acorn, butternut, dumpling, etc. into the mix to ballance the flavors and add some fiber to the meal. It would go great with both the duck and foie gras.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I choose the second option..Love the cippolini onions, truffle oil, for me this strikes a cord that makes me want to sit down and just take time and savor every bite... Both sound exotic and wonderful for the mouth and tongue, but, even I who do not eat DUCK (thank you grandma) would be tempted by either one..

kadesma:)

mrsmac said:

This one only because I don't like chinese 5 spice! Where are you cooking this and what time do I have to be there???[/QUOTE]

ironchef is a chef on Hawaii - I can't remember the spa/resort he works at. He is in charge of a BUNCH of stuff there. He's a wonderful source of information too!!!

Thanks for the responses. I actually went with the first choice because I liked how the sauce came out. I reduced it with some veal stock so that it would have some savory characteristics. I also changed the risotto croquettes into quinoa croquettes. Depending on how much sells over the rest of the night, I may run the second special tomorrow as well.

KElf, I'm in Cali now remember? Although I am looking on moving back to Hawaii in the near future. But then I can't drive to Vegas anymore so....we'll see.

Wow yum. Where in California are you a chef? I have friends in Santa Rosa, if you are near there i will recommend they come and eat it sounds great. No one is a chef in Sydney are they????????

Ironchef - I totally missed the California move - where was I that I missed that??? It might have been that time MJ decided I needed a long break :blush: or there would be death and destruction on DC LOL I did take a good break - I'm sure there was a lot I missed but I was better off! lol I hope you are enjoying your time in California. Where are you (work wise).

I really appreciate the time you put in here and the answers you give people. It is very well received. Thank you!!!!

I live and work in Los Angeles.

Santa Rosa is a beautiful place. IMO the wines that come out of the Sonoma Valley region are better than the wines that come out of the Napa region. Also, if memory serves me right, there's a deli in downtown Santa Rosa that makes great sandwiches. They slice the meats right in front of you and have toppings like marinated Roma tomatoes, Sicilian Olive Tapenade, marinated Mozzarella, etc. I forgot the name, but it's good. I do remember what I had though. Sopressata and Capricola with Roasted and Marinated Mushrooms, Roma Tomatoes, Arugula, and Provolone.

Also, in Petaluma, or rather on the way to Petaluma, there's this little place called Angelo's that makes the best beef jerky that I have ever tasted. For anyone that ever gets up in that area, please do yourself a favor and stop there to buy some. They make it fresh so it's much better when you eat it the same day as when you buy it, although you can get it vacuum sealed.

Last edited:
Ironchef - are you familiar with Viansa Winery in Sonoma Valley? It's the first big one you come to when you come around the corner - they have excellent wines. The grandson of Sebastiani and his wife own it - Vicky and Sam Hence the name, Viansa. Lovely place. A bit touristy but they still have excellent wines!

If I think of the duck being chicken (since I dont like duck) I'd say the second choice.

kitchenelf said:
Ironchef - are you familiar with Viansa Winery in Sonoma Valley? It's the first big one you come to when you come around the corner - they have excellent wines. The grandson of Sebastiani and his wife own it - Vicky and Sam Hence the name, Viansa. Lovely place. A bit touristy but they still have excellent wines!
Elf
I've been there twice and love it. Yes it caters to tourists, but the grounds are beautiful and the wines are so good. I've gotten some great ideas for sandwiches just walking through the deli they have there.
kadesma:LOL: drooling as she remembers

kitchenelf said:

Yeah, I've been there before. They have some pretty good items in their deli as well. One of the best features about Viansa is that you can taste almost every single flavor of their vinegars, oils, mustards, bbq sauces, jams, etc.

Interesting .... I just prefer savory to sweet, and interesting that most agree with me. Good Duck story ... were camping out in Lafayette, LA. I decided on a Christmas Duck. We were on the edge of a lake, and as I was cooking the duck on our little smoky joe weber, my husband started laughing and ran in to get a camera. I was mystified (because of the fat involved, I didn't want to leave the grill, and was looking towards the trailer). Jer ran out and snapped some photos, then told me to turn around. A huge bunch of ducks had gathered, and were watching me cook this duck. Jer said they were going to attack me at any minute. Of course they were just used to being fed by campers and were hoping for some bread crusts.

Claire said:
Interesting .... I just prefer savory to sweet, and interesting that most agree with me. Good Duck story ... were camping out in Lafayette, LA. I decided on a Christmas Duck. We were on the edge of a lake, and as I was cooking the duck on our little smoky joe weber, my husband started laughing and ran in to get a camera. I was mystified (because of the fat involved, I didn't want to leave the grill, and was looking towards the trailer). Jer ran out and snapped some photos, then told me to turn around. A huge bunch of ducks had gathered, and were watching me cook this duck. Jer said they were going to attack me at any minute. Of course they were just used to being fed by campers and were hoping for some bread crusts.

That reminds me of this comic strip called "Pearls Before Swine". There's a pig in the strip and he actually eats bacon and sausage links...

Back
Top Bottom