Dumb and dumber computer questions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The data is what is the goal. I don't understand your comment.
I think she wants the address books to show up as they were in the "other" Outlook application--that's what I want. A transparent transfer when I click, I see the same address books I had before after I've ported them over. I've tried exporting/importing and they don't show up as they were. Maybe I missed a step or did something wrong?

I think she wants the address books to show up as they were in the "other" Outlook application--that's what I want. A transparent transfer when I click, I see the same address books I had before after I've ported them over. I've tried exporting/importing and they don't show up as they were. Maybe I missed a step or did something wrong?
The manner in which the addresses appear in thier new home will depend on the format of the software they're being displayed in. The only way to preserve the exact appearance is to use exactly the same software.

Going from Web based to a PC based email client will just bring over the data, not the layout of the screen.

WUHELL, i see i haven't gotten hardly any smarter pc-wise than i was 2 years ago when i first began this computer question thread! oh, i DID learn not to ask what might seem to be a simple question like, 'how do i go about managing my email accounts', cos i now know that the ANSWERS to questions such as these are bound to be way beyond my comprehension....the pc motto i have been living by these past two years? --- 'Don't Ask Don't Tell'....

so, today i'm here to put forth a simple yes/no question to my pc literate dc friends: 'is there any reason why i should NOT upgrade my windows 8 pc to microsoft's windows 8.1 system for free?' thank you. i know, i miss timothy too....

Last edited:
i know, i miss timothy too....

I can't answer your computer question because I'm a computer dummy myself. ;)

Sorry for the drift but for some reason this song popped into my head.:rolleyes:

Buoys – Timothy

Trapped in a mine what had caved in
And everyone knows the only ones left
Were Joe and me and Tim

When they broke through to pull us free
The only ones left to tell the tale
Was Joe and me

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go
Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know

Hungry as hell, no food to eat
And Joe said that he would sell his soul
For just a piece of meat
Water enough to drink for two
And Joe said to me, I'll take a swig
And then there's some for you

Timothy, Timothy, Joe was looking at you
Timothy, Timothy, God what did we do

I must have blacked out just 'round then
'Cause the very next thing that I could see
Was the light of the day again

My stomach was full as it could be
And nobody ever got around to finding Timothy

Timothy, Timothy where on earth did you go
Timothy, Timothy god why don't I know

Timothy, Timothy, oh Timothy...

:(

They don't get around to tell you this in the song, Timothy was their work mule. Somebody et' him for lunch. But I guess they got rescued cuz they lived to tell the tale (song). So it has a happy ending for everybody 'cept Timothy.

I miss Tim too. I don't have Windows 8, so I can't say.

WUHELL, i see i haven't gotten hardly any smarter pc-wise than i was 2 years ago when i first began this computer question thread! oh, i DID learn not to ask what might seem to be a simple question like, 'how do i go about managing my email accounts', cos i now know that the ANSWERS to questions such as these are bound to be way beyond my comprehension....the pc motto i have been living by these past two years? --- 'Don't Ask Don't Tell'....

so, today i'm here to put forth a simple yes/no question to my pc literate dc friends: 'is there any reason why i should NOT upgrade my windows 8 pc to microsoft's windows 8.1 system for free?' thank you. i know, i miss timothy too....

I don't currently use Windows 8, but can offer this advice.

I don't usually upgrade quickly especially if it is a major overhaul, because there will be bugs. I wouldn't have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 early on because I know that there will be bugs and it is likely to be more buggy than what I currently use.

With that said, Windows 8.1 should be an improvement over Windows 8. x.1-x.2 and so on are usually updates, patches and fixes to the current software, and not a major overhaul. You will likely see little difference with the upgrade, with the exception of the windows start button is back (the round thing in the left hand corner that will bring up all of your programs). Most changes will be behind the scenes.

oh, also, when i started up my new computer yesterday for the first time, i was surprised to see that all my information seems to be intact. somehow, i was under the impression that i would have to pay a computer tech to transfer all my info from the old computer onto the new. what, if anything, have i lost from my old computer's hard drive? is there anything i need from that old computer that would justify a trip to the computer place? thanks.:)

I still want to know what you mean by this. Everything that is located on your old computer hard drive is still located on your old computer. It cannot magically jump into the new computer.

Do you mean your web based programs are still intact? This makes much more sense as these things reside on other servers and you look them up in a sense rather than opening them from within your machine.
Is this right?

Example is you save a recipe to "documents". This must be manually transfered to your new PC.
But if you have G-Mail account, you can access this account from any internet connected PC.

I see no reason to upgrade. Use the platform (OS) that came with your system.
I am running Vista and my wife is running Windows 7.
We have no issues and can do most any task required. In fact, since you are a self diagnosed non computer literate, you would never know the difference anyway.
Change your operating system and then you have to learn the new OS. Just keep what you got. You will never use all its features as it is.

I do allow Windows to update the system as needed though.
If there was a bug or issue with your version, Windows update addresses these things for you.
How do you have "Windows Update" set up?
I also hope you are using anti virus and malware protection? Both can be downloaded for free.

I hope I made sense. And remember. Google is your friend. From installing a new transmission in your car, to email account questions, all the answers are there for you. Microsoft.com also can help you.

Last edited:
When I turn on my computer, I look at the bottom. If there is a Windows shield there, I just click on it and Microsoft does an upgrade or installs whatever it needs to make my computer run better. It may need to be restarted at the time or I can wait until I shut it off and the next time I turn my computer on, it will do it then. All of this is done in the background and I am totally unaware of what is going on. I never worry about upgrades or fixing bugs in the system. And I also find that a lot of the upgrades are the ones in the next version of Windows. I have W7 and my son has W8. I now have some of the features that came with his computer. Relax and enjoy your computer. It is a great toy for information and playing. :angel:

I have not heard anyone say that 8.0 should not be upgraded to 8.1. From what I hear, it just fixed a few things people were complaining about. I installed 8.0 on my machine, but there was no driver available for my RAID drive, so I reverted back to 7.

I'm a professional computer tech, and will help in any way I can.

When I turn on my computer, I look at the bottom. If there is a Windows shield there, I just click on it and Microsoft does an upgrade or installs whatever it needs to make my computer run better. It may need to be restarted at the time or I can wait until I shut it off and the next time I turn my computer on, it will do it then. All of this is done in the background and I am totally unaware of what is going on. I never worry about upgrades or fixing bugs in the system. And I also find that a lot of the upgrades are the ones in the next version of Windows. I have W7 and my son has W8. I now have some of the features that came with his computer. Relax and enjoy your computer. It is a great toy for information and playing. :angel:

I have mine set to alert me when updates are available, so I can see exactly what the update is, before I download and install it.
I get the badge too, but I always wait until I am done with the pc before clicking on it. In many instances, you cannot use the pc during certain updates. When I see the badge, its one of those times.

Since you have been doing it this way, I would check "Update History" to be certain there are no "Failed Updates".

I have not heard anyone say that 8.0 should not be upgraded to 8.1. From what I hear, it just fixed a few things people were complaining about. I installed 8.0 on my machine, but there was no driver available for my RAID drive, so I reverted back to 7.

Well glad to meet you. What about failed updates? I did a factory restore some months ago and had a few updates fail.
I had little luck getting them "unfailed" :LOL:

Do the subsequent successful updates correct any issue with the previous failed updates?
I need to check, but I think there is a block (several) of "Failed Updates" in the list.

Update: Yes. The failed updates are still listed. Cumulative update for windows vista". There are several of them in order that never were successful. All updates since then have been fine.
I guess i need to get to work on them unless you think its not that important?

Last edited:
I let my son take care of any other problems. I let him know that I clicked on the update and followed through. Then he goes and takes a look at what was downloaded by Windows. I have never had a problem. If a download failed, he looks to see what it was for and usually finds out that the problem it was to fix did not exists in my computer. I never download anything on my own. I will let Norton know if I want a certain program and it will tell me if it is safe or not.

When I was in the workforce, I used to be computer savvy. But now I let others handle any problems. As long as I can sit down in front of my computer and use it for my own purposes, I am happy. :angel:

Yeah, it's been out for a while and I haven't heard anything bad. I guess it's time to download that, if it's still available free. My DH is professional computer geek, but he does mostly Linux stuff, so he has no idea if it's an okay upgrade.

99.9% sure you won't have issues. Unfortunately there is no way to "uninstall" 8.1; you would have to do a fresh re-install of Win 8.0.

Is the 8.1 part of Windows update? Or is another stand alone program?

Oh...Addie. Its nice to have someone around to help with pc issues or just for guidance. I used to have help, now its all on me.

Last edited:
please help! how can i watch a movie that is running on my computer on my television? is there a special device i need in order to connect the pc to the tv?

Depending on what input sockets you have on your TV you can just plug your laptop, computer into your tv and there ya go HDMI is probably the easiest. You might have to press the F4 key to port the signal to your tv.

If you have a smart tv there are usually facilities for streaming information from your various devices wirelessly. But each TV model will be slightly different so you would need to read the manual.

You would also probably find that if you googled connecting my laptop to TV model XYZ then you would get some easy instructions.

Back
Top Bottom