Dump Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
It's called a dump cake. But it's an incredibly easy, and tasty concoction. Here's how you make it.

Take 2 cans pie filling and dump them into a 9 X 12 cake pan. Evenly dump a dry cake mix on top, as evenly distributed as possible. melt 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter and evenly pour accross the top of the cake mix. Sprinkle on broken pecans or wallnuts. Bake in a 370' oven for 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Favorite combintations:
Crushed pineapple with white cake mix on top, and substitute shredded cocanut for the broken nuts

Canned Peaches with a yellow cake mix

Canned cherry pie filling with Devil's Food Cake and dark chocolate ganache spread on topafter it's cooked

#1 favorite - blueberry pie filling with 1 cup extra, fresh blueberries with yellow cake mix and broken pecans

Apple Pie filling with spice cake

Pumpkin Pie filling with spice cake

Have you made this desert? What's yoru favorite combination?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My Ex made pineapple dump cake about twice a year for 25 years, and it is really very good! :clap:

The version my Grandmother taught me when I was about 8 was cherry pie filling, crusheded pie filling over top, a yellow cake mix, dotted with butter and sprinkled with chopped or broken walnuts! It became my "signature dessert" for years, until I was allowed to experiment more.

When we worked at camp a few years ago and were serving very large groups of kids and adults alike, I started whipping cream (or topping) with some cinnamon and sugar and piping a bit on each serving. I have since served it this way at several events I have catered and it is a huge hit.

GW, the devil's food version sounds like something I should try!

My boss makes the peach version when we have bbq's or potlucks at work. It is a favorite of all the employees and usually we are scraping the bottom of his dutch ovens. He cooks them in dutch ovens with charcoal on the top and bottom.

When I read GW's post I thought this was a really good idea and something simple I could use when we go away on vacation. I thought I'd test it out here at home first.

I bought a chocolate cake mix and two cans of cherry pie filling and made the dump cake with walnuts.

I am a meticulous person and follow a recipe closely the first time. I was very careful to evenly distribute the filling, the cake mix, the butter and the nuts.

When it was done, there were still areas of uncooked cake mix - the dry powder that came out of the box. Other parts were almost crunchy.

I can adjust for the crunchy but don't know what I'd do with the powdery parts. There just isn't enough melted butter to completely moisten the entire top of the cake.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem with a similar recipe. One way I found to solve the problem is bake the dessert in a 9x9 inch pan. This reduces the surface area and concentrates the area covered by the butter. I have also added more butter. I hope this helps.

Andy and Sierra,
My grandmother's recipe I mentioned eariler didn't use melted butter - you thinly slice hard butter or margerine and dot it generously over the whole top. I find this works really well to distribute it better. Some of the areas of cake mix might not "look" cooked, but they are.

This thread actually encouraged me to include dump cake as a dessert for a youth retreat I am cooking at next month!

Last edited:
...Some of the areas of cake mix might not "look" cooked, but they are...

When I said there were areas that were not cooked, I meant there were areas where the cake mix powder had not been moistened by any liquid and remained in its original dry powdery form just like when it came out of the box. Very unappetizing.

Even if I used thin slices of butter, it seems I'd have to cover the entire surface with butter to ensure the outcome.

Andy, I looked at several recipes on Google, and I noticed they all included the juice from the fruit. You didn't drain yours, did you?

Andy, I looked at several recipes on Google, and I noticed they all included the juice from the fruit. You didn't drain yours, did you?

I didn't drain them. I used cherry pie filling which is in a fairly thick syrupy liquid.

I just noticed that several recipes called for TWO sticks of butter, instead of one. That would certainly make a difference. I also found a recipe for a scratch dump cake, which would be kinder to my diabetes because I could use Splenda and whole wheat flour.
Cooks.com - Recipe - Dump Cake

Still, it's great to have the recipe for the one that uses the mix, for when I need a dessert in a hurry!

When I said there were areas that were not cooked, I meant there were areas where the cake mix powder had not been moistened by any liquid and remained in its original dry powdery form just like when it came out of the box. Very unappetizing.

Even if I used thin slices of butter, it seems I'd have to cover the entire surface with butter to ensure the outcome.

Hmmmm, I have been making this dessert since I was 8 and have never come across that at all.

I think Constance might have a point here about the liquid. I use cherry pie filling AND crushed pineapple and include the liquid from the pineapple and have no problems.

Hmmmm, I have been making this dessert since I was 8 and have never come across that at all.

I think Constance might have a point here about the liquid. I use cherry pie filling AND crushed pineapple and include the liquid from the pineapple and have no problems.

I followed Goodweed's recipe for two cans of filling (both cherry), a cake mix, a stick of butter and nuts. Nothing drained off and everything as evenly distributed as I could manage.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I think i'll leave the baking to SO.

Here's my recipe which seems to be very different from most as it combines fruit and pie filling. It is not because I think it is the best, I just thought I would share what as worked for me.

Dump Cake
2 14 oz cans crushed pineapple (don't drain)
1 can cherry pie filling
1 cake mix (yellow or white)
1/4 cup hard margarine
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Grease 9x13x2 pan. Dump pineapple over entire bottom, then pie filling on top. Sprinkle cake mix over fruit. Slice margarine thinly and place evenly over top of the cake mix and top with nuts. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Serve warm or cold with whipped or ice cream.

Last edited:
I have been making this recipe for probably 30 years, and have given the directions to many, many people, my kids make this a lot also.
1 undrained can crushed pineapple
1 undrained can fruit pie filling (cherry, blueberry etc.)
1 cake mix, (we usually use yellow)
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces and distributed over the top
Nuts if desired
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Yummm, think I will make one tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom