Easter cooking Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I have no idea how many I will be serving for Easter. May be as few as three or as many as eight. Probably won't even know the total till we sit down for dinner. I do not want a lot of leftovers. Your menu suggestions please.

I have no idea how many I will be serving for Easter. May be as few as three or as many as eight. Probably won't even know the total till we sit down for dinner. I do not want a lot of leftovers. Your menu suggestions please.

Sounds like you have an unsolvable problem. You can prepare for eight and deal with leftovers if three show up. Or you can plan for a "most likely" number and lock the doors as soon as they arrive. :LOL:

Seriously, if you truly "...won't even know the total till we sit down for dinner" you cannot be prepared to feed everyone unless you accept leftovers as the cost of accommodation. I recommend you choose your menu based on what you would most like to have leftover and go from there.

Baked ham is a traditional Easter meal and leftovers freeze well for later use in a variety of recipes and sandwiches. Roast turkey or beef also fill the bill.

Ham is fairly traditional for Easter, and it saves well if there are leftovers. I don't really see any choice - you can't plan for 3 and have 8 show up. You plan for 8 and then freeze any leftovers in smaller sized portions for reuse in sandwiches, or other dishes. Ham is pretty easy to deal with that way, and leftovers can be served either hot or cold.

Maybe get a bunch of disposable containers and send everyone home with leftovers. My cousin does this every year for Thanksgiving.

Andy is right.

Do you take your lunch to work? If so, think of what you would like to take from your leftovers. If your work has a microwave. prepare yourself a plate of what foods you like from the leftovers, and take them to work for your lunch. Too many leftover foods from desserts? Take them to work and I promise you they will be gone by the time everyone has their first cup of coffee at their desk. Have your guests take home a plate of food when they leave. There are a lot of ways to get rid of leftovers real quick.

I think every member here would rather have leftovers and know that their guests left with a feeling of fullness and well being, instead of being underfed and looking for a restaurant where they can get some food to take out and eat at home.

Don't be in a hurry to clear the table. Let your guests sit around the table and talk. Any food left over will begin to appeal to them after about twenty minutes of digesting, and will be looking to put a bit more food on their plate for seconds or even third helpings.

Cook for eight. Any food left over will take care of itself. :angel:

You asked for menu ideas. Ham is a given unless your ethnicity calls for something different. I know Italians make a pizagaina pie. Start with the meat of your choice.

Baked twice are always a big hit or even just plain baked potatoes. Any leftovers of them can be diced and sautéed for breakfast with bacon and eggs.

For dessert my family always had to have a custard pie. One was always made with coconut and one plain. Chocolate mouse with a topping of whipped cream. Try to keep dessert light after a big meal. And let them sit and talk before serving dessert. Give your guests a chance to digest their dinner.

I am sure others have more ideas for your menu. :angel:

I would cook a traditional dinner and deal with the leftovers.

You could consider feeding them breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, juice etc... can all be done at the last minute.

The only other approach I can think of is to cook a basic dinner and ask the potential guests to bring a dish to pass. The more folks that show up the more food that will be on the table. Nobody will die if dinner consists of a ham and six bowls of jello salad, it will be a story they can all tell years from now.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Something a little different that we have done successfully for years is to purchase cold cuts, cheese and breads that we normally eat, with a few extras, and lay out a spread of ingredients to make great sandwiches, with each participant making their own, and using mayo, mustard, salad dressing, olive oil, etc. to dress the bread. That way, you have leftovers only of bread and things that normally go into your fridge anyways. And if there are leftover black olives, or pickles, well they store in the fridge too, and are great for snacking on. No cooking, little clean-up, and everybody is filled with whatever kind of sandwich floats their boat.

How extravagant, or simple it is is totally up to you. As always, hope this helps.

May your hot foods be hot, your cold foods be cold, and your cheddar at room temperature.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks everyone. The ham looks like my best option. Now what can I do to dress it up a little. Pineapple and cherries are a little 1950 so even though hubby would love it I would like something more today.

These days I leave the ham plain because of the carbs and also because it limits what I can do with the leftovers.

The glaze packets that come with many hams today can be jazzed up with a little prepared mustard and apple juice in place of water.

This orange marmalade glaze from Smucker's is simple, easy and a different twist on the traditional pineapple and cherries.

Grandma Lori's Marmalade Glazed Ham - Smucker’s

Good luck!

Last edited:
This seems very inconsiderate of your guests!

I think I'd make a huge casserole eg boeuf bourguinon
Boeuf Bourguignon - Beef - Recipes - from Delia Online
Multiply the ingredients to suit the numbers you might get. The left-overs can be frozen for a later meal. Serve with French bread or mashed potatoes or rice or whatever you fancy. There are veg in the casserole so you could probably get away without serving a side veg dish.

If your guests can't be bothered to do you the courtesy of telling you whether they are going to turn up or not, they should think themselves lucky if they get a stale bread and mouse-trap cheese sandwich!

Last edited:
I would cook a traditional dinner and deal with the leftovers.

You could consider feeding them breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, juice etc... can all be done at the last minute.

The only other approach I can think of is to cook a basic dinner and ask the potential guests to bring a dish to pass. The more folks that show up the more food that will be on the table. Nobody will die if dinner consists of a ham and six bowls of jello salad, it will be a story they can all tell years from now.

Good luck.
But if they can't be bothered to reply to invitations can they be relied on to bring a dish to pass if they do turn up? Mind you, it would serve them right if there was no food because everyone "forgot" to bring their dish.

Thanks everyone. The ham looks like my best option. Now what can I do to dress it up a little. Pineapple and cherries are a little 1950 so even though hubby would love it I would like something more today.
I don't know about your side of the pond but over here "retro" food is very fashionable. In any case fresh fruit always goes down well however it's served.

I have always made a paste of crushed pineapple and brown sugar. I make sure I press out the juice from the pineapple. What moisture is left, is usually enough for the brown sugar to absorb. If not, then a spoonful or two of the saved juice can be added. I use dark brown sugar. It has more flavor. Save the juice and add some of it to the juices in the bottom of the pan. Those juices are great poured over baked sweet potatoes instead of loading them with butter. :angel:

If it were me, I would prepare enough food for eight, and if eight don't show up, send doggie bags home with those who do.

If it was me I'd make up an excuse that were all down with the swine flu.:cool:

That way the inconsiderate people that couldn't be bothered to r.s.v.p.with the gracious hostess who thought to invite them, would definitely not show up.
No worries for you.

If it was me I'd make up an excuse that were all down with the swine flu.:cool:

That way the inconsiderate people that couldn't be bothered to r.s.v.p.with the gracious hostess who thought to invite them, would definitely not show up.
No worries for you.

I tend to agree Munky.

JF..what's the reason you don't have a guest count?
I really hate situations like that, and it would have to be a very serious reason someone couldn't give me a simple yes or no to an invitation. Maybe never cuts it with me. Once I was told by a friend that "maybe" she would come over next week and I countered maybe I'll be home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom