ECB mod! HELP PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com...fooddrink&track_action=/ViewActions/FullAlbum

The most important mods you can make, in my opinion (backed by 4 summers of cooking on a Gourmet) are:
1. Install a charcoal grate so the ashes won't build up and smother the fire. I think this would be much better than the wholesale surgery you've suggested.
2. Create a way to control the airflow into the hole on the bottom of the smoker. This is the only way you will have control over the cooking temperature.
3. Install a real thermometer. The easiest and cheapest way is to drill a hole just below the top cooking grate, and insert a 6" candy/deep fry thermometer.

Once you have done this, you will (1) have a way to control the temperature, (2) have a way to know - accurately - what the temperature is, and (3) be able to have the smoker cook for several hours without a lot of attention.

You still may have to dump the ashes in the middle of a long cook, and load additional charcoal. Using lump instead of briquettes would help with that problem.

This is my modified ECB.
I made the usual mods. Top vent, added vents and legs on charcoal pan and moved smoker legs to the outside.
My charcoal pan wasn't the most stable so I use a Smokey Joe bottom as a charcoal pan.
The Smokey Joe is higher than the modified ECB charcoal pan. I had to raise my ECB a couple of inches so the charcoal wasn't too close to the water pan. A friend of mine made the new legs.

Top Vent
1000844yt1.jpg

The threaded rods made for an unstable pan
1000843ei4.jpg

Vented charcoal pan
1000842wl1.jpg

Smokey Joe vents and legs are better
1000812fd8.jpg

1000813lp7.jpg

New longer legs. Original in the front
1000837jc4.jpg

Lit and loaded Minion method
1000817hp1.jpg

I use a large pizza pan to catch ashes
1000838ni8.jpg

Here are the mods I did to my little ECB. Not sure if you have this style, or the older version with just the charcoal bowl at the bottom.

http://usera.imagecave.com/smokintim/Bullet_Smoker/

I bought a replacement charcoal grate for a webber kettle and welded SS bolts to the bottom of it to get the coals off of the bottom and then made an extension for the middle chamber out of an old vent tube for an underground oil tank that I got from the local petroleum dealer. The thermometer is a replacement thermometer from HD. I like it over the longer ones because the stem is shorter and not under any meat. I have found that with the longer ones, they sit directly under the meat which causes them to pick up the ambient temp from the drippings falling on it, versus the actual temp of the cooker. I put mine just below the top grate. I also put a butterfly vent on the top of the lid.

Tim

Finney said:
Hey smokemaster, what smokey joe had 3 dampers on the bottom? I haven't seen that before. Has to work great for your ECB mods. ;)

I found it on Ebay. It must be one of the earlier models (80's-90's?). When I saw the 3 vents I had to buy it. :D
The newer models have the single bottom vent and the smokey joe to go has vents on the sides.
Tried to figure a way to connect all 3 but it was too complicated. :cry:
I adjust them as needed.

CarolinaQue said:
Here are the mods I did to my little ECB.

I like the extended middle section with a door to get to the fire. That's much better than having to lift everything off the charcoal pan.

The more I read about the mods to all of the smokers and grills I'm pretty close to concluding that I might as well spend the money upfront for a WSM and save money in the long run. Am I wrong?

Depends on what materials and talents you have. But all in all, I'd probably agree that going with the WSM right off the bat wouldn't be a bad idea.

I like the pic of downtown Charlotte you got there. What part of Charlotte are you from. I went to East Meck for a while.

Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom