Egg rationing in America has officially begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A co-worker of my husband's lives out in the county and he picks up eggs for us from a hobby farm down the road from him. They only cost us $4 a dozen. I'd pay $3.79 for large brown eggs at Loblaws/Superstore, or $4.50 at Remarks, and those are the battery farm ones.

That is a pretty high price. I notice your location says Ontario. Is that Canada or California? ..farm eggs are going for 3 bucks a dozen up here in the valley...I just got a dozen large brown eggs at a Freshmart for 2.49...

Shipped in Eggs

In Hawaii, eggs have shot up to $7.50 a dozen, but the REALLY ironic thing is that most of the eggs sold there are from ARIZONA (where we are legal residents, for now)!!

Hawaii 118.JPG

:ohmy:

Over 90% of goods in the State of Hawaii are brought in, very little is produced locally because of the value of land. The brilliant Mayor of Honolulu just okay-ed a deal to build over AG lands out on the Ewa plains for what he's calling affordable housing.

That is a pretty high price. I notice your location says Ontario. Is that Canada or California? ..farm eggs are going for 3 bucks a dozen up here in the valley...I just got a dozen large brown eggs at a Freshmart for 2.49...

Canada. Things cost more here.

The city here allows us 4 egg laying hens. There are tons of rules about placement of the coop, including distance from fixed structures. Our home owner covenants do not allow us chickens (or any livestock).

That said, there are millions of people that don't have the option spending more on eggs than they do now. They can stop eating them or buy them from a supermarket that got them from a "battery farm". Telling them to spend more to get eggs that ease someone else's conscience won't work.

Large food producers keep the world from starving. It is nice if you can afford elite radishes that were pampered and allowed to roam free before they were harvested but many MANY people can not.

Change the regulations that allow bad behavior. Boycotts rarely work,, and won't when people have to eat.

I love fresh eggs! Our neighbors have laying hens and I buy the eggs from them. I pay 50 cents for each egg and it's so worth it!

We don't eat meat at every meal, but it's all good. We buy our meat from the organic co-op and that seems to be so good! I love the fresh eggs...nothing better!

Rock lives in Canada, too - the Ottawa Valley.

Well, here in the south they're more expensive, I guess, 'cos that's the going rate at any of the farmer's markets. If I wanted to buy the free range eggs from Zehr's, they charge $6.99 a dozen. So, in my mind, I'm saving three dollars.

Don't know if this will show up, but the 18 pack is on sale for $3.98. A savings of $1.01. The 8th slide.

http://www.realcanadiansuperstore.c....banner@RCSSO.storenum@2827.week@current.html

Last edited:
The store at the corner runs a special every Wednesday, two dozen eggs for $3. That deal is still in this week's flyer, but when I ran into the store for some bottled water (water main break, not the individual bottles that are such a waste, IMO) I checked the current egg price. Large whites are going for $2.99 right now.

Thursday's farm market price was $5 for a dozen at the one merchant selling eggs.

I hope this isn't so political as to be yanked. The answer is right under our noses, and we refuse to accept what needs to be done. We need to demand to be allowed to supplement what the growers who feed the supermarkets can't provide. We need to vote out the politicians who keep us from being able to take care or ourselves. Big money makes the rules. There are millions of us, and very few big money people. We have votes on our side. But we will not boycott products, even when we feel that they are bad products. We will not boycott high priced products. We will not do the necessary homework to find out what politicians will really represent our values.

We say we don't have time, or he or she is this or that race, color, religion, or whatever, and vote for or against them on criteria that doesn't mean anything. We need to vote for integrity, honesty, and a desire to make things better, not on who get the least black eyes from political bashing during the campaigns.

I have heard people say that if a man, or woman cheats on their spouse, that doesn't mean that they will do a bad job in public office. I say that if a man or woman can't be faithful to the person they have sworn their life to, how can I trust them to be faithful to any other promise that they have made. How can I trust the my future, and more importantly, the future of my family, my country, and this planet to such a person?

We've lost our way folks. Integrity is still out there, even in the political machine. But we must dig for it, and when we find it, raise it to the top. We all gripe and complain about the meddlesome laws and regulations that hinder us as parents, in the work place, in our recreation, and how the rich just keep getting richer, and the gap between the disappearing middle class and the richer keeps growing. But we do nothing about it.

We are nations of intelligent people. We need to start working together to get back on course. Moral decay and the love of riches and power by an elite class has destroyed every great civilization that has populated this planet. We seem to be heading in the same direction.

That's my story and I stand behind it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Fresh, locally, and humanely grown eggs are readily available in my small town, at several supermarkets and the farmers market. And I am hooked in to the local agricultural scene and know many of the egg producers personally. This year a dozen eggs cost $5.00 with one producer varying the price according to the size of the eggs. This is a high quality protein and I would pay more for fresh local eggs.

In 1973 I participated in a nation wide boycott and I believe it was effective. Beef prices spiked and a couple of house wives suggested to cut back on beef consumption. I don't remember how I knew of the boycott, but it affected my purchasing of beef for years and many feel this is why the boycott was effective. I took the boycott seriously and avoided beef for years.

CW, I'm glad they offer a rent-to-own option. With the stories you tell about your girls, I bet it's easy to bond with the chickens and not want them to leave.

I have to agree with CWS on this. It's a big problem with battery farms for chickens.

If CWS's chickens got the Avian flu, I'm sure she would just take extra good care of them until they got over it. It's the flu. I imagine she would isolate the healthy chickens from the ones with the flu. You can't really do that in a battery farm.
I live in the suburbs. I am not allowed to have chickens. I buy organic, free range eggs at the health food store and sometimes at Loblaws/Provigo, a Canadian chain of supermarkets. Sure, it costs me $7.99 for a dozen eggs, but I know the chickens were raised humanely and the eggs have more flavour.

If you go back to her Chicken Chronicles, you will remember when she would sit up all night with one of her chickens because it needed help. My son Poo, no matter where he lives always manages to find a chicken farmer in his area. He just has to go out of his way every so often. Is that such a bad thing to do? He once told me that he enjoys those little trips. It is like getting back to his childhood. As long as you don't keep roosters that will wake up your neighbors, it is very easy to keep a few chickens in your backyard.

When I lived in Everett, my neighbor behind me kept chickens that he bought as baby chicks. He didn't know until the first one crowed at four in the morning, that he had a rooster in his flock. That bird made it to the stew pot in a hurry. And we as neighbors had no complaint, but a supply of eggs at our fingertips. He had money in his pocket. Sold them at below marker price. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom