Elderly baby carrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I found a package of baby carrots in the fridge that I should have "used by June 6". They were well sealed, taste fine, and have no mold. I plan on roasting them with some (fresh) cauliflower. Should be OK, si?

jennyema said:
Baby carrots tell you when they're bad. They'll be slimy or moldy or just generally look really bad.

I went ahead and roasted them. They turned out fine! They looked a bit dried out initially out of the package, but no mold or slime.

I usually freeze veg before the use by date, missed 'em.

I found a package of baby carrots in the fridge that I should have "used by June 6". They were well sealed, taste fine, and have no mold. I plan on roasting them with some (fresh) cauliflower. Should be OK, si?

I just go by the old fashion way, before dated food. If it looks ok, smells ok, eat it!:chef:

babetoo said:
i'd eat them!!

I roasted them with the cauliflower, they were fine. Tonight I pureed them into a soup, along with some Greek yogurt and a smidge of Velveeta, nutmeg, shallots, and red pepper flakes. It was quite good, kinda tasted like pumpkin soup.

No mold then you'll be fine! Use by dates are often wrong :) Even dairy products last longer than the use by date if stored correctly. I think they just make the dates sooner for worst case scenarios like when people leave milk out for a while then put it back in the fridge over and over and then seem surprised when it goes off before the use by date :)
Veg usually get a sour smell when bad as well. I've made root veg before that had a tiny bit of mold forming from moisture in the fridge, just peeled them and they were fine too.

Back
Top Bottom