Electric Kettles - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I recently stayed at a friends house and they had an electric kettle - fabulously fast hot water! Despite generally avoiding single use appliances I am sorely tempted to buy one. I drink a lot of tea and having to put the kettle on the stove is a nuisance as I can;t really walk away as the water heats.

Do you have one? Do you like it?

SO bought a cheap one years ago and we were amazed at how fast the water boiled. However, her use for it waned and it languishes in the basement.

I'm an iced tea addict, and I got a 4 1/2 qt stovetop kettle, induction capable, so that I could
heat it on my countertop induction burner, during the summer. It heats much faster than any electric kettle I've seen in other kitchens (1 gal in about 14 minutes) and as fast as my 20k btu/hr burners on my range. Once the AC is off, I don't mind the heat going into the kitchen from the stovetop, so the induction burner goes into storage.

I love my electric kettle, used several times a day. Great for tea and french press. Is also hot enough for those times I want a cup o'noodles or quick oats. Half a cup of hot water and half a can of condensed soup stirred up in a bowl. Perfect. I use it more than the coffee pot lately.

Janet,

They are quite popular on the other side of the pond.

And I hear Andy might have one for sale cheap.

Janet,

They are quite popular on the other side of the pond.

And I hear Andy might have one for sale cheap.

Brits are dumbfounded to find out not every American home is equipped with them.

And how dare you tell J how much money to spend. Are you well? :angel:

In my first house, I had a hot water dispenser built into my kitchen sink. Something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/InSinkErator...&pf_rd_p=8dc04ed9-0c0b-5075-b451-bac4c6d7e94f

Instant hot water.

CD

Obviously, from lead pipe. :huh:

Glad I had much to offer this thread, lol

An electric kettle is needed for ice tea?

I don't get it, but then I guess other ice tea lovers make it differently than we do.

We always have a gallon container of cold tea in the fridge, ready for ice.

Kayelle, I've made overnight ice tea in the fridge since I was a kid - that's how my Mom made it. In a pinch, when I wanted ice tea right then and didn't have any in the fridge, I'd make hot tea double-strength and pour it over ice.

Janet, I must be the odd (wo)man out. I had one. Didn't like it. Got rid of it. The reason? The minimum amount of water you needed to put into the kettle was nearly a quart. Since my biggest tea cup is 15 ounces, and I never re-boil water for tea, I was tossing out water whenever I made a cup of tea (there were only so many plants I could water...). I suppose there are smaller models on the market now that would result in heating only the water I could use. Something you might want to keep in mind.

In my first house, I had a hot water dispenser built into my kitchen sink. Something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/InSinkErator...&pf_rd_p=8dc04ed9-0c0b-5075-b451-bac4c6d7e94f

Instant hot water.

CD

Basically have the same thing built in. So I can't speak for a kettle, but I can speak for enjoying the convenience of hot water when I need it, whether it be for tea or just dissolving a bouillon . So, if the convenience of having hot water on hand appeals to you, and you have the kitchen space, why not get it.

roadfix, I'm happy enough with my OXO kettle. ;) I know one thing that would make the water boil quicker, though. Using a gas (instead of my electric) stove. I could heat a cup's worth of water on our daughter's stove in less time than I took me to get my teabag out and put a bit of sugar into my cup!

My wife loves her electric kettle. She drinks a lot of tea, and she also makes Swiss Miss cocoa a lot on winter evenings. The kettle takes less than 5 minutes to boil.

I recall reading that microwave ovens heat water unevenly, and you can get areas that are boiling, while other areas are below the boiling point. Thermoworks tells you to calibrate thermometers on the stovetop, and not to use a microwave to boil water for calibration purposes.

I have no aversion to single use appliances if a) they produce superior results, or b) if they are more convenient than other methods. My Zoji rice cooker is a perfect example of this.

I took a leap of faith and replaced a cheap Mr. Coffee coffee maker with a $150 Bona Vita coffee maker. The results were significantly better, and I'm not looking back. Others are happy with using a can of Folgers with any kind of coffee maker. If you drink a lot of tea and want the best results, go for the electric kettle.

I recall reading that microwave ovens heat water unevenly, and you can get areas that are boiling, while other areas are below the boiling point. Thermoworks tells you to calibrate thermometers on the stovetop, and not to use a microwave to boil water for calibration purposes.

I can see that happening if you don’t bring it to a rolling boil.

As for single use appliance I find the electric kettle to be most convenient and practical, nothing wrong with reboiling water left in the kettle from the morning, and they’re cheap and reliable.

When I heat water in the microwave - usually for making bread - I stir the water around for a moment to even out the temperature.

Back
Top Bottom