Electric Smooth-top Range is crapping out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
As the title states, My electric Smooth - Top Range is crapping out.
Its about 10 years old ( just past the warranty , of course).
I dont want to go through the repair process, I prefer just to get something new.

Looking for:
Another Smooth - Top
30"
Non Induction
No seams or elements that make it difficult to clean ( as per my wife)
We Currently have an Electrolux, but definitely not married to it.

Any brand preferences out there ? or specific Ranges recommended ?

More concerned about quality and performance than the price. I'd definitely pay extra for something that works good and lasts long.

I'm interested in seeing the answers. Out of curiosity, why not induction?

Id have to upgrade a large portion of pots and pans and Im so used to the old stove top I have, Id hate to get something Id never cooked on before and hate it. Id love to try cooking on an induction for the experience.

Id have to upgrade a large portion of pots and pans and Im so used to the old stove top I have, Id hate to get something Id never cooked on before and hate it. Id love to try cooking on an induction for the experience.

I would hate that too and would love to try out induction.

Buy a cheap induction hob to try it out. You can get one for around 60 bucks, and I believe it will change your mind.

Buy a cheap induction hob to try it out. You can get one for around 60 bucks, and I believe it will change your mind.

Ive been tempted to get one of those cheap Induction burners to try it out, just never got around to it. Maybe this is the kitchen gods way of testing me to be out of my comfort zone. Probably makes sense to spend a few bucks to try it out before making the big purchase and finding out somewhere down the road that I made the wrong choice. Only 1 of the 4 burners is shot, so I still can function.

Still leaves me trying to figure out which one to buy.

We've got a couple of NuWave induction burners we really like. They are nice to use for tabletop cooking, in hurricanes when power is out and we are using the genny, etc.

If it's just a burner on your stove, might want to do some research. Not long after we bought our old stove, the big tri-burner went out. Of course it was under warranty so they came out and fixed it. It was basically a plug and play type of repair, nothing complicated. Most of the work was taking out the screws from the stovetop (then putting them back in) so he could change out the burner.

We just bought an LG. The oven element is totally hidden so any oven spills are easy clean up. The stovetop is slightly recessed with a hard ?rubber? seal around it. Some stovetops are completely flat, but I prefer the recessed ones simply to contain any boilovers or spills. Just make sure you get an oven with the full self-clean cycle. Several of the manufacturers have a quick clean feature that uses steam to clean the oven, where you have to wipe the oven down and from what I read any really bad spills don't always come clean without scrubbing on your part. Ours has both options, but some ovens only have the steam clean and the reviews I read were not happy about that once they used it. We haven't used either option yet. No knobs. Everything is controlled via touch screen.

I don't remember what our last oven was, but was either an LG or GE (round logo) and it lasted close to 15 years before we replaced it as the oven quit working.

Last edited:
When my old Magic Chef took a crap about 10 years ago, I took the money from the home warranty company (and my Home Depot credit card) and bought all new Maytag appliances. The only service call I ever had to make was to have the oven temperature re-calibrated.

I still kick myself for not getting a stove with induction burners. That's what I cooked on at Amoretti and I loved it. You really don't need to by new cookware, unless of course you need an excuse. Amazon has a large selection of induction cooktop adapters from 15 bucks all the way up to over 50 bucks that will ensure that all your pots and pans will work on the induction burners.

I got one of those induction burners years ago, initially just for table top and outdoor tabletop use, but I found out how good it was, and started using it almost exclusively in the kitchen, as soon as I started using my AC, since it puts out so little heat. And amazingly, the burner will boil 3 1/2 quarts of water (something I boil almost every day, for iced tea) in 14 minutes - those high heat burners on my gas range need to be turned up to where the gas is coming up around the sides of the kettle, to do it this quickly! And almost no excess heat. I did have to replace some of my pans - the 6 Calphalon sauté pans and saucepans were some of my most used pans, but I gave them to various friends, and a few others that weren't used as much, and that 4 qt kettle I had to replace. And like Sir_Loin said, you can get a metal disk, to put on the burners, for things like copper pans, though I have not used those much.

When cooking on induction, there is almost instant heat in the pans, and great control, though not infinite control. And the minimum heat is great - no flame tamer needed, like on my range! Still, as soon I stop using the AC, it gets put away. But I have said that if I ever had to get an electric range, it would have to be induction - closer to cooking with gas, with advantages, as well.

Back
Top Bottom