Electric Wok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I had a gas stove, I loved the more traditional wok. Now I have an electric/induction cooktop. I finally tried an electric, a few years back. I have a fairly inexpensive one, the VonsShef 7.4Qt Electric Wok. I love it! Okay, it doesn't have the round bottom, but I'm okay with that. It works very well, and I don't have a messy cooktop to clean up after using it either. Just wipe the island down a bit. I like the non-stick too, no fussing with seasoning, etc. Got my flame suit on, so go ahead and tell me all the reasons it is inferior. Don't care. It works for me!

The heat under that wok hole was up to 80,000 btu/hr, while my range burners are "only" 20,000 btu. Years later I also got a Big Kahuna Burner - a propane powered 60k burner, for outside, which gives the most intense "wok hay"...
My gas stove has a very high heat 60k burner that I use for stir-fry. It gives very good results. I really think that using the right ingredients is more important to getting the right flavor than trying to achieve "wok hei."

Taxy, you don't need to make a puddle of oil in a frying pan to stir-fry. A tablespoon or two will work. Just like people have done for a centuries, adapting the method to the equipment available is perfectly fine.

When I had a gas stove, I loved the more traditional wok. Now I have an electric/induction cooktop. I finally tried an electric, a few years back. I have a fairly inexpensive one, the VonsShef 7.4Qt Electric Wok. I love it! Okay, it doesn't have the round bottom, but I'm okay with that. It works very well, and I don't have a messy cooktop to clean up after using it either. Just wipe the island down a bit. I like the non-stick too, no fussing with seasoning, etc. Got my flame suit on, so go ahead and tell me all the reasons it is inferior. Don't care. It works for me!
This is what I've been trying to say! Good for you! ?

We have a couple of portable induction burners. Brand NuWave and they were the top of the line when purchased several years ago. At the 1800 watt setting, they can heat to 575 F. We have a carbon steel wok we use with them. They give a pretty good wok hei effect.

They are handy to have around too when power is out like after a hurricane or other weather event and you only have generator power. Or, if you want to have fondue at the table and actually cook in it, not just keep it warm, or have something like an Asian hot pot.

Craig used to also use a propane burner like you would use to fry a turkey or do a seafood boil. You can really get high heat with that. It even works to get cast iron white hot so you can blacken fish, chicken, etc. It also will make the hair on your arm disappear from the heat as he learned and give you a heat sunburn.

Last edited:
My gas stove has a very high heat 60k burner that I use for stir-fry. It gives very good results. I really think that using the right ingredients is more important to getting the right flavor than trying to achieve "wok hei."

Taxy, you don't need to make a puddle of oil in a frying pan to stir-fry. A tablespoon or two will work. Just like people have done for a centuries, adapting the method to the equipment available is perfectly fine.
Yeah, I know that I don't need a puddle of oil for a stir fry. But, that isn't the only reason to want it.

That's great, GG! I wish I had that option way back when I bought mine!
We have a couple of portable induction burners. Brand NuWave and they were the top of the line when purchased several years ago. At the 1800 watt setting, they can heat to 575 F. We have a carbon steel wok we use with them. They give a pretty good wok hei effect.
I have one of those induction burners (I think it's 1600w) that I use in the summer, so I don't heat up the kitchen! It does heat up well - one of those things the CI wok does better for - but I usually do those kind of things outside.

They are handy to have around too when power is out like after a hurricane or other weather event and you only have generator power. Or, if you want to have fondue at the table and actually cook in it, not just keep it warm, or have something like an Asian hot pot.

Craig used to also use a propane burner like you would use to fry a turkey or do a seafood boil. You can really get high heat with that. It even works to get cast iron white hot so you can blacken fish, chicken, etc. It also will make the hair on your arm disappear from the heat as he learned and give you a heat sunburn.

That's great, GG! I wish I had that option way back when I bought mine!

I have one of those induction burners (I think it's 1600w) that I use in the summer, so I don't heat up the kitchen! It does heat up well - one of those things the CI wok does better for - but I usually do those kind of things outside.
Ooh, are you guys saying that I might be able to use a regular wok on an induction burner? I have been thinking about getting an induction burner, but I'm cautious about acquiring more stuff, since space is an issue. DH already has a wok. It's not great, but would probably be good enough to see how it goes with an induction burner.

As long as the wok works with an induction burner. If a magnet will stick to the wok, it will most likely work with an induction burner. There's also a symbol on newer cookware if it will work with an induction burner, several tall connected loops.

I have one of those induction burners (I think it's 1600w) that I use in the summer, so I don't heat up the kitchen!

Yes, i have kept them on the stovetop and used just them during the hot summer months. They are great at keeping the radiant heat down, especially if you are cooking something that takes a long time to cook.

@taxlady An induction burner would be more useful - since you already have a wok that can go on it, it can serve the same purpose, but also be used for many other things. It also stores in less space. It's amazing how fast that thing heats up pans! I heat up almost a gallon of water in a kettle for my iced tea faster than on my stove (unless turned up to max, with flames up the sides). But it also has a very low setting - another thing I like about it. In the summer I use it almost exclusively, along with my Instant Pot, and outside cooking, to avoid using gas burners.

@taxlady An induction burner would be more useful - since you already have a wok that can go on it, it can serve the same purpose, but also be used for many other things. It also stores in less space. It's amazing how fast that thing heats up pans! I heat up almost a gallon of water in a kettle for my iced tea faster than on my stove (unless turned up to max, with flames up the sides). But it also has a very low setting - another thing I like about it. In the summer I use it almost exclusively, along with my Instant Pot, and outside cooking, to avoid using gas burners.
That sounds like a good idea. This is the kind of answer that makes it worth asking the question on DC. I have been dithering about buying an induction burner. I'll still wait until I find a (Canadian) deal, but it is great motivation for getting an induction burner. You are so right about it having many other uses. I hadn't thought about using an induction burner for a wok. I guess that since it heats up the metal by induction, it won't just heat the small contact area.

The induction won't heat too much up the sides with the wok, and with the aluminum ones, just the disk on the bottom will heat up, but they do it quickly. The enameled steel one you mentioned in the beginning should work fine, but not for the higher heat cooking.

When you look for a deal on one, be sure the heat output is at least 1500w or more. I've seen some very low priced ones under 1000w, which I wouldn't want to try.

Last edited:
The induction won't heat too much up the sides with the wok, and with the aluminum ones, just the disk on the bottom will heat up, but they do it quickly. The enameled steel one you mentioned in the beginning should work fine, but not for the higher heat cooking.

When you look for a deal on one, be sure the heat output is at least 1500w or more. I've seen some very low priced ones under 1000w, which I wouldn't want to try.

Umm, aluminum won't work with an induction burner unless there is some other metal that is magnetic as part of a "sandwich" on the pot bottom.

The sides of the pot will heat up to a certain degree depending on how high burner is set and how long it is on. The surface of the burner stays relatively cool. You can put your hand flat on the burner almost immediately with no heat after removing pot.

I looked back and noted that @taxlady has a CI wok so she should be fine using an induction burner.

NuWave has the PIC Gold, which is what we have, for $90 USD now.

My two NS woks are induction capable pans, aluminum with disks on the base. Many, if not most, aluminum pans of all sorts, have this now, so they can state that they are induction capable, since induction has become so common.

I'm really leaning towards the induction burner. The wok we have, and don't use, is some sort of steel, round bottomed, and has a separate ring to use it on a stove. Does that sound likely to work on an induction burner?

You need a flat bottom wok to trigger enough magnetic response from the induction unit. But a quality flat bottom carbon steel wok (I like IMUSA brand) should only be about $30.

You can buy stand alone dished induction wok hobs too but that's probably not the right direction for your situation.

A round bottomed wok will not heat up well on and induction burner. But woks aren't overly expensive, but then, it's been quite a while since I bought mine!

BTW, here's that disk you'll see on the bottoms of induction capable aluminum woks, skillets, saucepans, and other pans. Work well on regular electric and gas, as well.
Disk on the bottom of aluminum works, and any skillets, making them induction capable. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And something you have to check to see if they are induction capable (if a magnet sticks, they are) are SS pans. Almost all of them made now are induction capable, because they use a magnetic SS on the bottom layer of the sandwich metals, but the old ones didn't have it. I gave away some good pans to friends, when I got some deals from a couple of companies closing out. However, I'm not giving away my copper pans - I'll just use them when I'm using the gas! lol

Maybe my best bet is just to get a flat bottomed wok, that has a small flat part. I could use that with my current electric stove.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom