ENGLAND - Heathrow Airport ... any good food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmar

Senior Cook
Is there anywhere in the airport that's good to eat?

I've never been there before, but will be there for ten hours this summer and just wondering if there's any place good in the airport.

I wasn't there long enough to eat, so I really don't know. Hope you find a good place, though.

I've been there several times, but I'm afraid that I can't make any recommendations as I was never there long enough to grab a bite. Last time I was there (March) was the most stressful airport experience of my life - and a clear-cut lesson that should I ever pass through Heathrow again I will try to book way more time between flights. I hope you have a wonderful trip though and find some great pre-flight nibbles.

Here is a some info I found online that might be of help to you:

Heathrow shopping and eating guide

Sorry to say it, but I have never eaten anything remotely approaching a good meal at Heathrow :( A couple of the 'pubs' do bar food, but it all looks pretty much microwaved fare.

I'm by no means an expert (although I fly in and out about 10 times per year) - but perhaps my experience is less than others, simply because I'm usually only transiting there and don't really need to eat more than a sandwich.

We go through terminal 4 several times a year.

And at times, we go through the other terminals.

Have never, like Ishbel, found anything but pub grub.

Have been in a few airports where we could actually find a real meal, but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

Heathrow is an unpleasant place at best. We usually try to find a place to sit in one of the pubs, there are not very many, and nurse a pint or two.

Bring a book and try to relax.

Have met many very lovely people there and that always makes the wait a lot more interesting.

Wish we could give you some better news.

Ten hours is a long layover.

Good luck.

Unless you are most fortunate you will need 10 hrs to get from one place to another! Not an easy place to navigate. I do not think that I have ever eaten there either.

Marmar
With a 10 hour stopover - couldn't you arrange to leave the airport? It's about 45 minutes to central London and you could have a variety of good food there! It would even give you time to complete a 'Round London Bus Tour' :)

Marmar, just remembered there is a Hilton hotel attached by a walkway to Terminal 4.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=LHRAPTW

It apparently has several restaurants. We have never been there.

If you are not in Terminal 4, it is not just a casual walk to get there from another terminal, trust me on this.

There are other hotels not too far away from the terminal and I suppose you could take a cab there and back.

The tube does go to the terminals and I suppose you could try to navigate that.

Would make sure I was checked in and had a boarding pass before trying to go anywhere (getting on a plane can take forever in Heathrow). Last time we were there had to wait before we could even check our bags.

We have spent far too much time in Heathrow, usually Terminal 4 (British Air), and it is not a flier friendly place.

But have a great trip.

:) Other than that Heathrow has some neat little shops if you are flying on British Airways they will feed you well and its alot better than the other airlines.I love British Airways even though I have only flown once with them.

I definetely agree with Ishbel... hanging around in an airport for 10 hours is nothing but a torture, there is a decent tube connection to the west end and believe me, the last thing you would want to do in an airport is to eat and drink!! (everywhere you go, it's a highway robbery and this is not just about Heathrow!!)
A few hours (at the very least) of hanging out in, say, Kensinton High Street is much better than sitting around in a terminal, there will be much more attractive options if you feel peckish, too!!

Last time we went to Greece we also had a 10 hour layover in London.

Go to town!! There's lots of time to see the sights and eat some good food too.

Have fun!

I would echo what Ishbel says...leave the airport and go into London proper. There is a tube (metro) from Heathrow...its the piccadily line....it will bring you straight into the very centre of London. You could look up somewhere you would actually choose to eat and allow an hour to get back and you would be fine. When we meet people or fly I take a picnic to Heathrow! Failing that a Pret a Manger sandwhich is your best bet!

Wow. Somehow I missed all the replies. I just saw the one.

I can't leave the airport. I was going to and visit my cousin, but it turns out she's on her holiday right now, and my other family is in Germany for the World Cup.

I am actually in Terminal 4. And I am on British Airways and BA coshares, but I can't wait 12 hours between meals. I don't remember seeing Pret a Manger on any of the lists I've looked at or the map I printed.

I am really not looking foward to tomorrow though now that I know its unpleasant. I have also practically memorized the map of Terminal 4 too.
I chose Heathrow despite the longer layover because I despise going through CDG in Paris and was hoping it would be better.

Auntdot, I am taking books. And if I run out, I noticed there are two or three bookstores in Terminal 4. I just have to avoid the chocolate shop probably.

Last edited:
I agree with the previous poster, hop the Heathrow Express into London! What an opportunity, and a great way to pass 10 hours!

I've eaten in the international terminal a couple of times, but usually try to avoid it! :rolleyes:

Get into london, find yourself something there, nothing else to it. Depends on what time you get there i suppose. If you get to Heathrow at 11p.m. then you're in trouble, but if its in the day, get into town.

Back
Top Bottom