Evaporated milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pancake

Senior Cook
What do you do with it? I have a recipe or two maybe ( desserts) using it. I think it's yummy but just don't know what to do with it :?
Any suggestions? (including desserts :D YUMM )

Here is one of my favorite desserts!

Chocolate Eclair "Cake"

2pkg. vanilla pudding(small pkgs.)
3C. milk
1 large tub cool whip
1 box grahm crackers

Mix puding mix with milk & add to col whip, mixing well with mixer. In 9x13 inch pan, layer bottom with whole grahm crackers. Top with layer of pudding mixture. Continue layers ending with grahm crackers. Refrigerate about 1 hour.

Topping:

1/3C cocoa
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1C sugar
1tsp. vanilla
1/3C evaporated milk

Combine all & bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour over top of "cake".

crewsk said:
I use it in my coffee. I have some recipes using evaporated milk that I'll post for you in a few minutes!

Isn't there a way to "bake" it in the oven and then use the resulting brown, rich, milk in your coffee, too? My mind is completely stalled out today and I can't think of what it's called. :oops: I remember reading that it's dangerous to just put the can in the oven, as some recipes say to do. Instead, put the milk in a pie plate, cover it, and bake it at a low temp for a good amount of time. Is this ringing a bell for anyone??

Wow!! I am so overwhelmed :D I love them all!!!!!!!!!! Hold on let me figure out which one to start with, they look so yummy! (specially that eclair cake crewsk--when it comes to sweets, I'm the first one there,lol.

pancake said:
Wow!! I am so overwhelmed :D I love them all!!!!!!!!!! Hold on let me figure out which one to start with, they look so yummy! (specially that eclair cake crewsk--when it comes to sweets, I'm the first one there,lol.

Pancake, I'm right there with you! :LOL:

In coffee is good :)

Use it in your mashed potatoes in place of milk. You will be surprised at the improvement it makes :)

Evaporated milk is a good substitute for cream or half and half.

Isn't it condensed milk that is baked or boiled in the can into some kind of dessert?

You're right! It's sweetened condensed milk. Thanks, Jenny! I still haven't thought of the name of it though. I think my mind is as foggy as the weather today! :LOL:

Leaf Storm said:
In coffee is good :)

Use it in your mashed potatoes in place of milk. You will be surprised at the improvement it makes :)

This is what my mother would always do. I never ate mashed potatoes with milk or cream.

You can use evaporated milk as regular milk in baking -- just dilute it.

PA Baker said:
crewsk said:
I use it in my coffee. I have some recipes using evaporated milk that I'll post for you in a few minutes!

Isn't there a way to "bake" it in the oven and then use the resulting brown, rich, milk in your coffee, too? My mind is completely stalled out today and I can't think of what it's called. :oops: I remember reading that it's dangerous to just put the can in the oven, as some recipes say to do. Instead, put the milk in a pie plate, cover it, and bake it at a low temp for a good amount of time. Is this ringing a bell for anyone??

i saw a show with that recently, the one with the guy who looks like one of the rolling stones, and drives around with his trailer made up to look like a giant toaster.
he popped a coupla holes in the top of the can, put it in a water bath and heated it for a few hours low and slow, until it got thicker and sweeter. i think it was called dulce leche or something like that...

*jumping up and down, clapping*...
DULCE DE LECHE!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU BUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My poor little head is so fuzzy today!

buckytom said:
i saw a show with that recently, the one with the guy who looks like one of the rolling stones, and drives around with his trailer made up to look like a giant toaster.

By the way, what the heck show is this? I think I've missed this one! :LOL:

Ok, ok.. there are like hundreds & I mean hundreds of great recipes on these websites!!!!! Please check them out everyone :D
Now to start with I just finished assembling crewsk's chocolate eclair cake-- took only 15 minutes, looking yummy but needs some time to set. I'll chill it till dinner just to make sure it's 100% set..

On my Must make list:

HARVEST SALMON CHOWDER ( cooks.com, crewsk's link)
1 (7 oz.) can boneless salmon
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp. butter
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. cubed potatoes
2 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. chopped broccoli
1 sm. can evaporated milk
1 c. milk
1 sm. can cream corn
Drain salmon and flake, reserving liquid. Saute onion and garlic in butter until transparent. Put in soup pan with potatoes, carrots, salmon liquid, chicken broth and seasonings. Simmer 15 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 5 minutes. Add flaked salmon, evaporated milk and cream corn. Heat thoroughly but DO NOT boil. Serves 4-6. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanilla Flan ( bestbaking.com--kitchenElf's link)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 can (12 fl. oz.) CARNATION Evaporated Milk
1 can (14 oz.) CARNATION Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 garnish of fresh fruit, (optional)

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 325° F.

HEAT sugar in small, heavy-duty saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until dissolved and caramel colored. Quickly pour onto bottom of deep-dish 9-inch pie plate; swirl around bottom and sides to coat.

COMBINE evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla extract in medium bowl. Pour into prepared pie plate. Place pie plate in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with warm water to about 1-inch depth.

BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove flan from water. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

TO SERVE: run small spatula around edge of pie plate. Invert serving plate over pie plate. Turn over; shake gently to release. Caramelized sugar forms sauce. Garnish with fruit as desired.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake: (bestbaking.com)

1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (about 15)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, divided
2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup CARNATION Evaporated Milk
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 300° F.

COMBINE cookie crumbs with butter in medium bowl until moistened; press onto bottom of ungreased 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup morsels.

BEAT cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until smooth. Beat in eggs and flour. Gradually beat in evaporated milk and sour cream. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with remaining morsels.

BAKE for 25 minutes. Cover loosely with foil.

BAKE for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until edge is set but center still moves slightly. Place in refrigerator immediately; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Remove side of springform pan.

NOTE: Cheesecake may be baked in 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Prepare as above. Bake in preheated 300° F. oven for 20 minutes. Cover loosely with foil. Bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Satin pie (Bestbaking.com) --Looks so easy!

1 prepared 9-inch (6 oz.) graham cracker crust
1 can (12 fl. oz.) CARNATION Evaporated Milk
2 large egg yolks
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
Whipped cream
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
WHISK together evaporated milk and egg yolks in medium saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is very hot and thickens slightly; do not boil. Remove from heat; stir in morsels until completely melted and mixture is smooth.

POUR into crust; refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Top with whipped cream before serving; sprinkle with nuts.

Quiche with Tomato, Basil & Garlic: (bestbaking.com)

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) pie shell
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup CARNATION Evaporated Milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed, or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups fresh or canned diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup chopped ripe olives

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350º F.

WHISK sour cream, evaporated milk, 1/4 cup cheese, eggs, salt and pepper in medium bowl; pour into pie shell. Combine remaining cheese, breadcrumbs, basil and garlic in small bowl; sprinkle over sour cream mixture. Top with tomatoes and olives.

BAKE for 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.

This list can go on & on forever!! I tried picking the ones I'll start with & I'll let you all know how they turn out to be.. then I'll update a new Must make list !! :D lol.
Thank you all!

add it to your oatmeal or cream of wheat when cooking, really adds flavor. I like it in coffee too, reminds me of my dad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom