Example of poor quality meat cutting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They sold pork dripping too. It came in a tub with the fat at the top, floating on a layer of tasty pork jelly. It was a great treat on a cold winter's afternoon to sit in front of the fire, with our legs getting all mottled from the heat, toasting thick slices of bread and then slathering them with the jelly and dripping and lots of salt - Yum. A heart attack on bread!

No more so than butter, and the jelly is melted connective tissue, not fat. Sounds great to me :yum:

You could grind it and sell it as suet? At the right price you won't be left with any in the garbage.

I used to buy suet and render it down with peanut butter & wild bird seed and stuff it in logs for bird feed! Until the grocery chains got greedy and started charging double.

Same for beef marrow bones/soup bones.

ridiculous!!!!

Suet is different from 'regular' fat---- like that trimmed from steaks.

I agree with how prices have escalated for meat/bones, which used to be given away or for pennies a pound. Liver? Same. Neck bones? We used to have those when times were tough, as a kid. Now, just price Lamb neck bones if you want to make lamb stew!! Almost cheaper to buy leg of lamb.

I can't believe how negative some people can be towards marbling and fat. I just have to shake my head sometimes.

A common occurrence back when I was slinging drinks ~~

Me: Our special tonight is Prime Rib w/ .......

Ill-informed customer: Does it have any fat on it?

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

(I just directed them towards a different menu item at that point! Real prime rib eaters know that it has fat. And why! :yum:)

Last edited:
The problem is that we pay for all of that fat and we have to trim most of it off because the customer doesn't want that much. I can't believe how negative some people can be towards marbling and fat. I just have to shake my head sometimes. We save some for trim to add to the ground beef, but we can't use it all, so it goes in the garbage. Money down the drain...

Maybe you are better off not eating beef. I'll probably die of a heart attack because of the amount I eat 'cus I get a deal on it.

Doesn't your company have a buyer of all your waste? I know my butcher does. The guys toss the waste into five gallon buckets, the buyer comes about twice a week and dumps all of them into the bed of his very large truck. I don't know what he does with them, but at least my butcher is getting some of his cost back.

They buy all their meat by the half animal. :angel:

We are a very small store. We only bring in a few types/cuts of meats. I have the waste numbers down pretty good. We wouldn't generate enough waste to make it worthwhile for anybody. We are also a deli and the majority of our sales is just that. Deli meats, prepared salads, sandwiches, soups, salads....etc

Back
Top Bottom