Expired Milanos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I just received a couple of bags of Pepperidge Farm Milano Dark Chocolate Cookies from WalMart Online. One of them had a "sell by" date of 10/25/2020.

They're gonna credit me, but my question is would you eat these or toss 'em? I hate to waste food but 75+ days past the sell by date concerns me.

Thoughts?

I just received a couple of bags of Pepperidge Farm Milano Dark Chocolate Cookies from WalMart Online. One of them had a "sell by" date of 10/25/2020.

They're gonna credit me, but my question is would you eat these or toss 'em? I hate to waste food but 75+ days past the sell by date concerns me.

Thoughts?

I would sniff them and look at them and then decide. The "sell by" date is earlier than the "best before" or "use by" date. They don't expect that the customer will use them immediately. It's so stores can keep their inventory fresh and protects the manufacturer, if there is a problem. It puts the responsibility on the store to get rid of them by the sell by date.

It's an estimate of how long they will maintain their quality - it has nothing to do with safety. Those are dry cookies. Pathogens need moisture to grow.

I'de eat them, and it f it tasted fine, I'd probably eat the rest of them n one sitting. Those are my favorite.

Im usually more cautious with refrigerated things than dry things. As long as not stale flavor or smell ( or nothing growing on it) I'll usually give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom