Extra egg yolk ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi all,

I've got about 10 extra (large) free-range egg yolks, any creative suggestions as to what to do with them???

Thanks for any thoughts

how long is the shelf life of home made mayo? I never make any because I always think it will spoil fast and I don't use much mayo.

Hi everyone,

All fantstic suggestions, I think I'm going to go with a rich frozen custard :mrgreen: with some berries and white chocolate thrown in for good measure.

Thank-you all for your cool ideas!

htc said:
how long is the shelf life of home made mayo? I never make any because I always think it will spoil fast and I don't use much mayo.
only a couple days since there's no preservatives in it.

i would use extra yolks to make an egg lemon frsoting for cake,its delicious....

Sarah, would you consider posting that recipe? Maybe in desserts? Under cakes? I would love to have it. I bet it is wonderful on chocolate cake.

luvs_food said:

Sort of yes and no. One week is a good time, give or take a day. Just make 'em in small batches. Do a 1 yolk recipe and use it till you are done. Takes about 90 seconds to make mayonnaise anyway.

Yes, Mayo is made with raw eggs but so is Hellmans. Yes, Hellmans are raw, made raw ever since they started making them. They add a lot of acid (in the form of vinegar, secret ratio) to keep it more stable.

If you leave things in the back of the fridge, it generally will stay longer.

Last edited:
thanks for the info on mayo. I will give it a try, I think I have a sauces and condiments recipe book at home that has a one egg yolk recipe.

htc said:
I think I have a sauces and condiments recipe book at home

Mayo is not much of a recipe:

put egg yolk in cuisinart
add a little vinegar
start the cuisinart
stream in oil
season to taste
done

That's basic egg emulsified sauce.

Eric, knowing my luck, if I don't have a basic guideline to follow I will add too much acid or oil... :)

How about Pots de Creme?

Chocolate Hazelnut Pots de Crème
Yields: 6 portions

1 c half-and-half
3 bars (1.5 oz each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, broken up
1 T granulated sugar
3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 t Frangelico
1 t vanilla extract
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
½ c heavy cream
2 t confectioners' sugar
2 t Frangelico
Garnish:
½ c coarsely chopped hazelnuts

Combine half-and-half, chocolate and sugar in small heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture reaches a full boil and thickens.
Gradually stir about half of hot chocolate mixture into beaten egg yolks. Stir egg yolk mixture into remaining hot chocolate mixture. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in Frangelico and vanilla. Pour chocolate mixture into six pots de crème cups, demitasse cups, soufflé cups, of coffee mugs. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
In a chilled bowl, beat cream with sugar and Frangelico until soft peaks form, using electric mixer at medium speed.
Garnish each pot de crème with a dollop of whipped cream and chopped hazelnuts.

Chocolate Pots de Creme
Yields: four 5 oz portions
Oven @ 350°F

10 2/3 oz. milk
8 oz sweet chocolate
2 egg
4 egg yolks
2 2/3 oz sugar
pinch of salt
Vanilla, to taste

Scald milk, remove from heat, and add chocolate, stir occasionally until mixture is smooth and uniform. Add rest of ingredients, mixing well.
Pour custard mixture into ramekins, set ramekins in a hot bain marie, and bake @ 350°F until set, about 20 minutes.

Variation: Chocolate Blanc Pots de Creme; substitute white chocolate for the sweet chocolate, add Creme de Cacao to taste.

Back
Top Bottom