Face Masks and Sewing Crafts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of the two face masks in CG's first post, 2 months ago I made about 15 of the top style. Yesterday I made the first one of the bottom style. I can't stand anything tucked behind my ears so I put ties on the top model and elastic on the one I made yesterday.

Effective tomorrow, May 15, anyone in New Mexico outside of their house or back yard must wear a face mask. It is mandatory. If you are in a public space, you have to be wearing a face mask. So I'm making more masks.

Here is the one I made yesterday. It is made with a heavy cotton material and lined with flannel. It is comfortable and for an unknown reason, does not fog up my glasses. It has a pouch for an additional liner. This will be my current pattern of face masks to make.

I really like your design Beth.
Souschef wears two hearing aids and the elastic behind the ears has launched those babies to who knows where for a near disaster for him more than once. I will be making him another with your design ASAP. Heaven forbid he never hears my sweet and most melodious voice again because he lost those precious (and expensive) hearing aids. We don't want or need a marriage counselor caused by the dang pandemic! :wub:

Is anyone else having issues with glasses fogging up when wearing a face mask? If so, what do you do about it? I haven't used a mask much (I don't go out), and it only happens sometimes.
I have always had this problem, using the masks in my workshop, with safety glasses - I just have to wiggle them around for a while, until the air coming out is from another direction. After a while I can get it to feel sealed, when inhaling, and it no longer fogs up the glasses.

I had over 30 N95 masks in my workshop, but, unfortunately, the rubber straps would break, after using them once or twice, they were so old. And elastic was pretty much unavailable, except some very thin, 1/8", so I got about 70 yards of it really cheap, and weaved 3 together, tied the ends, and sewed the two straps onto the masks, with kevlar thread. I knew that wouldn't break!
2020-04-12_04-18-54 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I just wear a bandana. Why bother with

sewing?

Sara, I'm a Senior who is health compromised and I will be wearing masks till a a tested vaccine is given to every American who wants it in this country, free of charge.

I guess I'm just vain enough to want a wardrobe of them when I actually go out in public again. :rolleyes:;)

I'm an RN, completely experienced in the wearing of PPE and . Several remedies have been tried, none work for me.my face masks always fog my glasses

I just bought 5 of the pleated masks, I like them because they are stiff enough for complete coverage and do not fold up so I am chewing them when I try to talk. They do have a flannel liner and the fuzzy issue is problematic, also already a bit warm.

So glad I am no longer working 12 hour shifts...

Dish soap or shaving cream has worked for for us.
It only takes a drop and warm water to clean them.
Rinse.I use lens cleaning clothes to dry them off.Lint free
Interesting. It only happened after I started pinching the metal part to the bridge of my nose.

I no longer need to wear glasses except for driving, but back in the day of enjoying snorkeling, Munky's trick worked every time for a fogged up mask. It should work for eye glasses too. Just refill your empty little bottle of HS with diluted Dawn dish soap. It worked every time for us.

We just spit on the inside of the mask and smeared it around. [emoji38] (I got my scuba certificate ages ago, before Himself).

Sara, I'm a Senior who is health compromised and I will be wearing masks till a a tested vaccine is given to every American who wants it in this country, free of charge...

Heck, I'll pay for my shot (or two, if it goes the way of a pneumonia vaccine) to stay safe once it's proven safe and effective.

That's a nice mask, beth. I haven't made any with a filter pocket yet, though.

Can you reverse the mask so that the flannel is on the outside?
I made mine two-sided for two reasons. First, I can pick the mask(s) I want based on mood - plain? or fancy? Second, if I have to reuse a mask (something I try to avoid), I know which side to face out.

I'm glad that you aren't working 12-hour shifts, too.

View attachment 40972

If I reverse the mask I am defeating the mechanism to keep droplets from others away from me. I'm used to my own droplets.

Facilities across the country are still having a hard time getting medical grade masks, from disposable to N95. We have not gotten any masks of any sort on an order for an entire month. We are wearing masks that have been handmade, the one I wore yesterday had ladybugs on it. I'm hoping and praying we get some stock in for when/if we ever do get a Covid case.

Oh and...just because our Governors are opening up the states, does not mean nursing facilities will be opening...we have to follow the guidelines set out by the CDC and CMS, which are federal.

Last edited:
I haven't had to use a mask much, since I'm immunocompromised and I don't really go anywhere (DH does all our shopping). I came across this video for making a no-sew mask out of a sock, including the straps and a way to include a filter. With socks, of course, you can use a variety of fabric weights.
https://youtu.be/vnBIXHQy524

CG, this new mask is not reversible. And it is not the second mask in your original post. What I am now making is the Olson mask, the one with the pouch inside to secure an added layer of material, if needed.

https://www.unitypoint.org/filesimages/COVID-19/UnityPointHealth-OlsonMask-Instructions.pdf

This website has the pattern for the Olson mask. Be warned the instructions make no sense. I looked at no less than 5 youtube videos on how to make the Olson mask and noticed that they had over 5 million views, so I am not alone!

On today's one hour walk, my glasses fogged up big time, so I need to work on that. I may add ties to the Olson Mask as well as the elastic bands.

Dh's company will enforce the mandatory mask wearing starting Monday. Dh has worn a mask since the second week of April, but none of his crew has worn one. Now it will be a condition of employment. I want to have several made up in case Dh needs some on hand at work.

Here is a photo of the ones Dh wears every day, 7 days a week.

Attachments

• IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 149
Beth, I did find a pattern for a mask like the one I made that has a pocket. I'm deciding if I can make one of that's a little more complex than the pattern I've been sewing up.

I haven't had to use a mask much, since I'm immunocompromised and I don't really go anywhere (DH does all our shopping). I came across this video for making a no-sew mask out of a sock, including the straps and a way to include a filter. With socks, of course, you can use a variety of fabric weights.
https://youtu.be/vnBIXHQy524

I'm the same as you GG...I just don't go anywhere. SC does the shopping when he's appropriately dressed for the venture. When all these "no sew" ideas came out, I made both the sock and T shirt versions from your link and they turned out really well for both. My favorite one is made out of a leopard print T shirt, and the sock with butterflies. Haa haa..we know SC masks are plain although he might get creative himself. This young woman in the video is sure better than most instructors, with no wasted time or jabber-mouthing like they have a captive audience. Whoops...I may be guilty of the same.:ohmy: That explanation to follow.....

Forward:
Now I've graduated to sewing and I study every mask I see to combine ideas and make notes. It's become quite fun to get my sewing background out of moth balls, and the creative juices flowing again. Geeze does this mean I can thank the dang pandemic for something?...groan.:(
My "grand plan" if I ever pull myself away from this keyboard, is to make a custom personalized mask for everyone I know and love. I honestly know and love lots of folks.

Chapter 1
At this point, my major problem is I'm lung capacity compromised. Some days are manageable without help, but on the bad days I use several prescription inhalers depending on how I'm breathing. Thankfully, I don't need an oxygen tank, but I do have "BOOST" oxygen cans around the house if it gets really bad. I first discovered them when we visited Beth in magical 7,000 ft. Taos New Mexico. That was really hard on me, with a nose bleed that took too long to stop and I had just started taking Xarelto, the blood thinner for my heart condition. I scared the bejebbers out of the Souschief. Sadly, I'll no longer be visiting high altitudes, although we crossed the Continental Divide in Wyoming in 2011 at 8,391ft. Then in 2012 it was Switzerland with 11,333 at the Jungfrauhoch. Before all those places, 2008 found us in Costa Rica on the ridge of a volcano at 8,650 ft. That's the first time I told SC I could could either walk or breathe but not both, and I had my first clue about my health. I wish those BOOST oxygen cans had been around then as they just look lite a tall can of hairspray with a mouthpiece. I didn't want to go on so much about my health, but as SC recently pointed out, I've become a real jabber-mouth just lately. Maybe I should be called the Princess Longwind of the West. :ohmy:Lately it's like I've been both thinking and talking too much like I used to be with too much vino although I'm not slurring my words..just ask SC.
I've never been whiner and hope I never am, so please forgive me if this sounds anything like I am whining. :rolleyes:
Chapter 2:
My Doctors would give me a written medical dispensation for not being required to wear a mask, and I may ask him for one to be used only for an emergency such as in an ambulance ride (heaven forbid). I sure don't plan on leaving the house without one till there's a vaccine, but just the same, for my comfort I need a mask that's comfortable for my condition. I've practiced walking around the house with various masks, and none of them are actually acceptable to me.

I looked at the link Munky left for a knitted mask, and that's a possibility if I tried out different filters for them. I would use cotton yarn to make them cooler to wear.

I just don't enjoy hand work, although I know how. I have an old knitting loom I could use, but I see there are much better methods now while still being affordable. The last time I used that loom was 6 yrs ago for preemie hats for out little Cheyenne..(grand daughter) I'm still researching and I'll share my study with everyone if I get one of them.

Warning: Chapter Three may follow at anytime when least expected...:ROFLMAO: __________________

Last edited:
I am bumping this thread up, as after Kayelle spent an hour composing the post two days ago, nobody has responded. It makes me think that either nobody cares about her post or they are not interested in the subject.;)

I am bumping this thread up, as after Kayelle spent an hour composing the post two days ago, nobody has responded. It makes me think that either nobody cares about her post or they are not interested in the subject.;)

Always interested in Kayelle's posts.. :)

We wear our masks out.. Fortunate to have family make them for us to go with the ones we were/are able to purchase..

Jeannie made more slender masks out of socks so we could have our haircut without making it difficult for the hairdresser, while making us feel we are doing the right thing, for us and her..

Ross

I'm the same as you GG...I just don't go anywhere. SC does the shopping when he's appropriately dressed for the venture. When all these "no sew" ideas came out, I made both the sock and T shirt versions from your link and they turned out really well for both. My favorite one is made out of a leopard print T shirt, and the sock with butterflies. Haa haa..we know SC masks are plain although he might get creative himself. This young woman in the video is sure better than most instructors, with no wasted time or jabber-mouthing like they have a captive audience. Whoops...I may be guilty of the same.:ohmy: That explanation to follow.....

Forward:
Now I've graduated to sewing and I study every mask I see to combine ideas and make notes. It's become quite fun to get my sewing background out of moth balls, and the creative juices flowing again. Geeze does this mean I can thank the dang pandemic for something?...groan.:(
My "grand plan" if I ever pull myself away from this keyboard, is to make a custom personalized mask for everyone I know and love. I honestly know and love lots of folks.

Chapter 1
At this point, my major problem is I'm lung capacity compromised. Some days are manageable without help, but on the bad days I use several prescription inhalers depending on how I'm breathing. Thankfully, I don't need an oxygen tank, but I do have "BOOST" oxygen cans around the house if it gets really bad. I first discovered them when we visited Beth in magical 7,000 ft. Taos New Mexico. That was really hard on me, with a nose bleed that took too long to stop and I had just started taking Xarelto, the blood thinner for my heart condition. I scared the bejebbers out of the Souschief. Sadly, I'll no longer be visiting high altitudes, although we crossed the Continental Divide in Wyoming in 2011 at 8,391ft. Then in 2012 it was Switzerland with 11,333 at the Jungfrauhoch. Before all those places, 2008 found us in Costa Rica on the ridge of a volcano at 8,650 ft. That's the first time I told SC I could could either walk or breathe but not both, and I had my first clue about my health. I wish those BOOST oxygen cans had been around then as they just look lite a tall can of hairspray with a mouthpiece. I didn't want to go on so much about my health, but as SC recently pointed out, I've become a real jabber-mouth just lately. Maybe I should be called the Princess Longwind of the West. :ohmy:Lately it's like I've been both thinking and talking too much like I used to be with too much vino although I'm not slurring my words..just ask SC.
I've never been whiner and hope I never am, so please forgive me if this sounds anything like I am whining. :rolleyes:
Chapter 2:
My Doctors would give me a written medical dispensation for not being required to wear a mask, and I may ask him for one to be used only for an emergency such as in an ambulance ride (heaven forbid). I sure don't plan on leaving the house without one till there's a vaccine, but just the same, for my comfort I need a mask that's comfortable for my condition. I've practiced walking around the house with various masks, and none of them are actually acceptable to me.

I looked at the link Munky left for a knitted mask, and that's a possibility if I tried out different filters for them. I would use cotton yarn to make them cooler to wear.

I just don't enjoy hand work, although I know how. I have an old knitting loom I could use, but I see there are much better methods now while still being affordable. The last time I used that loom was 6 yrs ago for preemie hats for out little Cheyenne..(grand daughter) I'm still researching and I'll share my study with everyone if I get one of them.

Warning: Chapter Three may follow at anytime when least expected...:ROFLMAO: __________________

Patiently waiting for chapter 3 ;) No pressure...:LOL:

The looms can be tedious to use. I have several of them.They look cool hanging on the wall. That's why I bought both of the Addie machines.
It's much quicker to knit something. Not to mention easier on my wrist.

Whatever everyone decides to make.Kudo's to you for not only protecting yourself but others as well. It's refreshing to see that not everyone has the "Me, me, me" attitude that thinks they don't need to wear one in a public place.

Munky.

I am so thankful for being able to remove my mask once I leave work. Of course if I go shopping, I wear a clean mask because by the end of eight hours, I'm not putting that dam(N)p thing back on my face.

My beautiful dining room has been trashed by turning it into my sewing room for masks. It makes no difference because we won't be having dinner parties till further notice, and nobody is coming into the house for visiting. No, I won't be taking pictures of my sewing room. :ermm:

Nevertheless, I just sent for these masks for $10.00 each, for three of them in the dark red color. I liked reading all the glowing reviews that they were better for those of us who have a breathing problem, and if they don't work for me, SC can use them. He will look less like Darth Vader trading this color for his black one.
Check them out. They could work for you too, and our sewing time should be worth something with $10 each for the great design and material. I may be adding a nose pinch wire to them and also machine embroidering to mine, cuz that's the way I think. ;)
https://shopspacemask.com/products/nano-protection-mask?variant=33656348967049#qvVkMfbdH9d

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom