Fais Do-Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mudbug said:
that was "Southern Comfort" (the name just came to me). With Keith Carradine and another guy I like but can't think of his name. They were doing Natl. Guard duty down in the swamps and one of their fellow Guardsman got idiotic and killed a Cajun. The rest of the movie is about how the Cajuns, who know the swamps so well, hunt them down.
You are brilliant Mudbug (I always knew you were). Yes that was the movie. Do you remember the music? Was it as amazing as I remember?

Ham, I'm second- or third-generation Cajun on one side. Grandfather born in Franklin and Grandma in the Irish Channel of NO. Daddy was born and raised in Algiers. My name here on DC is out of respect for those lively and hardy people and their culture. Love dem fish.

geebs, I believe that music from that movie was by Beausoleil (means beautiful sunshine or sun), but I could be wrong.

OK I just did a little lookin and found the music from the movie was by Ry Cooder. I think I know the next artist I will be purchasing when I need to buy a cd :)

OMG, Ry Cooder is such a good 'un. Plenty of other CDs by him that are great as well - "Chicken Skin Music" and "Jazz" come to mind. He's also the guy behind reuniting some aged Cuban musicians to record some of their hits - maybe called the Havana Social Club or something like that? They even made a documentary about it (which I haven't seen - yet).

In my searches I saw that Bela Fleck has played with him. Bela is one of my favorites!

OK I think I am going to get Chicken Skin Music. That is just such a cool name for an album!

Ham, I'm sure whatever the guy in Metairie told you will be jes' fine. 'Sides, you got the rivah and those nice-sounding surroundings to contribute to the whole ambience for your party.

geebs, you know I have heard of Bela for years but have never listened to him (klezmer music, right?). From what I've read, he sounds right up my alley.

Nope not klezmer. He is bluegrass, but travels in many musical circles. He plays banjo and is just mind blowing. He bass player, Victor Wooten is amazing as well and has been voted best bass player before (although I am not sure who did the voting).

Check out Live Art. You can listen to samples here. He really is a great musician.

It's what we do, call it a clam bake, a crab boil, a fais do do, etc...fresh seafood locally harvested and seasoned, cooked with sausage and some basic vegetables (potato corn whatever) and served all aover the table...help yourself!

WOnderful!

Well my bestus friend's son had some problems and they had to run him off to the hospital, since his family was a lot of the gig we just called it and I have spent the day working on my chili recipe.

He is OK they just dont know whuts up, I think it's just pressure and anxiety.

Well I did officially sign up for the BIG Fais Do Do at the World Championship Gumbo Cookoff this morning. I sure hope I get in.

We are so lucky in that there is a local cajun/zydeco (more the latter, but they do both) band around here -- yes, in northwestern IL. Unfortunately, hubby doesn't care for dancing. Doesn't stop us, I dance with girlfriends! We were so upset when we learned that the band was breaking up, but they re-formed with different members and are still great. When we were on the road, we always parked our rig in Lafayette for a month a year to party. Good food, interesting culture, lots of fun.

Last edited:
I worked for a company in Dallas that would do a crawfish boil, crawfish, shrimp, potatoes, corn. They would server on long tables covered with newspaper, no forks, spoons, just napkins. The neat part was the company officers and management had to serve as the wait staff. What a party...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom