Fall '12 GCC - PrincessFiona's Entree - Pumped Up Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Pumped Up Chili

Serves 24

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb fresh pumpkin or winter squash, bite-size pieces
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chili peppers, drained
3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained

In a soup pot, heat olive oil over med-high. Add pumpkin, sweet potatoes, onion, celery, bell peppers and garlic, sauté about 15 minutes, until pumpkin is al dente.

Add 1 cup water, green chilies and tomatoes, stir in spices and bay leaves. Simmer covered until pumpkin is tender. Add beans, continue on simmer, uncovered for another 30 minutes.

28716-albums283-picture5188.jpg

I made this chili for a contest at work. It won it's Class: Vegetarian Chili and It Won Best Overall out of a field of 36 entries. There were lots of comments, a small sample:

"Excellent balance of spices."
"Amazing!"
"The sweet potato pieces and pumpkin chunks add the right amount of sweet."
"Do you have a copy of the recipe?"

My take is that it is very good, quite tasty and not too hot. I didn't miss the meat, much.

Sorry for the plain presentation, but I almost forgot to get a picture. Good thing I remembered, because all I brought home was an empty pot and dirty ladle.

Thank you Fiona :) Hubby's off to Durban for work next week, this will be a lovely veggie curry for me and the kids to eat while he's away!

Yum Fi! Sounds great, looks good too, never would have thought to make a chili with pumpkin!
Kudos to you and your "thinking cap" :)

Somebunny said:
Yum Fi! Sounds great, looks good too, never would have thought to make a chili with pumpkin!
Kudos to you and your "thinking cap" :)

+1!

I've always stayed away from chilli I was afraid of HEAT!!! you got me when someome said it was not HOT!!! I'll make it for dh and me soon Thanks Fi
ma

I've always stayed away from chilli I was afraid of HEAT!!! you got me when someome said it was not HOT!!! I'll make it for dh and me soon Thanks Fi
ma

Thanks, Ma...I would adjust the chili powder down to 1/4 cup and the black pepper to 1 1/2 teaspoons if you really don't like hot. DH can always add more to his serving if he wants.

I'll have to try this at my parents' house. Most recipes make too much for just me, but I like cooking for my parents. I think they would like this too.

Oh yeh, the girl can cook!:D The recipe looks great, and the picture is great as well. The absence of an elegant table showcases that really good looking chili. There's only one thing wrong with it that I can tell, I'm not there to eat it.:LOL:

I wish I'd have seen this sooner as I spent all evening making 3 gallons of white chili, and 3 gallons of hot red for tomorrow's chili cookoff in my home town. I'm representing the boy scouts. Not one scout showed up to assist, or cook. I don't think they deserve any trophy, should I win any category. I think they should have made the chili, with my supervision and tutelage.

NO more sour grapes. I'd love to try that chili.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom