Fancy Creamed Tuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
This was requested by our Snip at the dinner thread. It can be served over buttered toast, rice, noodles, or my favorite, mashed potatoes. :yum: It's stick to the ribs budget friendly, and kids love it.

Fancy Creamed Tuna

1 small onion, chopped
2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped

4 Tbs. butter or margarine
4 Tbs. flour

2 cups of whole milk, or 1 C. of canned milk with 1 C. chicken broth

1 or 2 cans of drained tuna
2 or 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas (optional if kids hate them)

Lemon Pepper, and seasoned salt to taste

Saute the onion, celery and mushrooms in butter till nearly tender. Add the flour and cook for a minute or two to cook out the flour taste. Add the liquid slowly while mixing and bring to the simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
Add the tuna, chopped eggs and peas. Gently mix until hot and the peas defrost. Season with lots of lemon pepper and some seasoned salt to taste.

Thanks Kayelle :) I'll make it for me. Kids don't like their veggies in sauce, they prefer baked, steamed or raw. This mama made food nerds out of her children lol!
I love the odd bit of mushy comfort. Reminds me of growing up. My mom used to give us loads of recipes made like this one. She always tried to fatten me up. I'm 31 and she's still trying!

Very similar to my tuna casserole except no eggs. I like to crush up a bag of potato chips and layer the top with them before going into the oven. I change the flavor of the chips sometimes. Addicted to BBQ chip 'flavor'.

I like the sound of the crushed chips on top, Pac was saying earlier in another thread that some people do that with casseroles...sounds good :)

To make this a casserole, I add some cooked pasta of some kind to the mix.

Chips are a good topping, but my favorite is a generous topper of buttered Panko bread crumbs. Panko wasn't available in grocery stores years ago and now I couldn't do without them.
A simple way of doing that is to microwave some butter in a small bowl, and toss in the Panko crumbs to combine.Top the casserole, and bake at 375 degrees till golden brown.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom