Fantastic skillet find!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
QVC.com item #K24549

Received this fabulous skillet a few days ago, and love, love love it!!
Now tell me where you can find another skillet of this quality for less than 20 bucks!!
I got mine in red, but several colors are available.
"Stylish, durable, and multifunctional, this porcelain enameled skillet goes from the stove or oven directly to the table. Its cast iron construction provides exceptional heat retention for superior searing and browning, while the cream, enameled interior helps to resists stains and odors. From Technique(R) Cookware. "
Just thought I'd pass along this great find.:chef:
params.item.K24549.desc.Technique-Enameled-Cast-Iron-11-Round-Skillet

I have a complete phobia concerning MADE IN CHINA , melamine in milk ,lead in kids toys , recalls and revelations ,computer circuit boards being burned in family cooking woks to recyle the metals.etc etc human rights abuse etc. I just don't think they have health and saftey standards and/or enforcement. made in china isn't on my shopping list.
That's my rant ,i've seen the chinese enameled ware ,looks nice ,if crude and thick but I'd rather pay ten times as much and feel I can trust it. I have all the cast iron I need and more ( bought 30 years ago ) Jotul ,waterford and lodge,but I'd buy lodge or le creuset for my kids anyday over an unknowable asian brand with heaven knows what in the metal. Regards Gage

I have a complete phobia concerning MADE IN CHINA , melamine in milk ,lead in kids toys , recalls and revelations ,computer circuit boards being burned in family cooking woks to recyle the metals.etc etc human rights abuse etc. I just don't think they have health and saftey standards and/or enforcement. made in china isn't on my shopping list.
That's my rant ,i've seen the chinese enameled ware ,looks nice ,if crude and thick but I'd rather pay ten times as much and feel I can trust it. I have all the cast iron I need and more ( bought 30 years ago ) Jotul ,waterford and lodge,but I'd buy lodge or le creuset for my kids anyday over an unknowable asian brand with heaven knows what in the metal. Regards Gage

Ummm, since you have "all the expensive high end enameled cookware" you'll ever need, congratulations, this post is not for you.
Regards back atcha. Kayelle

Kayelle, I hope you enjoy your skillet for a long time. Many of us can't afford all the le creuset pieces like some others. Enjoy your purchase in good health.

Gage's sentiment is understandable; but unfortunately many, if not most high end brands, are having plenty of their wears manufactured in China and in the instance of AllClad, we have a 6 quart deep saute pan whose inside bottom cooking surface is starting to pit. Not knowing that it is pitting, I scratched the pitted areas by scrubbing it with a stiff plastic brush intended for use on nonstick pans.

pitting from salt is a cosmetic issue. Stainless steel is a misnomer...lots of things can stain it, but it won't rust under normal usage. Salt affects all metals.

It is true, many name companies have some or all of their lines made in China. Most of AllClad is made in PA. French copper and enameled cast iron is made in France. Lodge cast iron is made in the US, but their enameled cast iron is made in China.

Are all Chinese products poorly made? No. But quality control can be difficult to enforce. I have used Technique cookware and it is fine. Enameling on cast iron is heated to an extreme heat, so it should be sterile, but do be careful of chipping. That has been known to be an issue with cheaper pans, even name brand lines.

While I understand the need to be thrifty, and live by a budget, life has shown me that buying the best gives the best results and costs less overall in the end.

I absolutely apologise if I offended , I just meant that the materials could be suspect /warranty dodgey and that I personally wouldn't take what I see as a risk ,I'm not the brightest candle on the the christmas tree so use your oun good judgement by all means. try a pommes tatin (sp ) in it you will love it. DON'T BURN YOUR HAND !!!! Have fun-- Gage

If cost is an issue why not consider a regular CI pan? They can be had for about the same price as the enameled one in the link. They are a bit more work, but not much more. And it's a labor of love!

I had several of the technique ss disk bottom pans for years and they held up quite well.
I've been upgrading for a while now, but have mixed in a few of their tri ply non stick pans as they are reasonably priced. They are manufactured in Thailand.
Enjoy.. and if you want to give the fully clad tri ply a try .. they offer a few random pieces that don't break the bank such as
Technique Clad Tri-Ply 2-Piece Skillet Set - QVC.com

QVC.com item #K24549

Received this fabulous skillet a few days ago, and love, love love it!!
Now tell me where you can find another skillet of this quality for less than 20 bucks!!
I got mine in red, but several colors are available.
"Stylish, durable, and multifunctional, this porcelain enameled skillet goes from the stove or oven directly to the table. Its cast iron construction provides exceptional heat retention for superior searing and browning, while the cream, enameled interior helps to resists stains and odors. From Technique(R) Cookware. "
Just thought I'd pass along this great find.:chef:
params.item.K24549.desc.Technique-Enameled-Cast-Iron-11-Round-Skillet

Somebody mentioned Made in China... yep, it probably is. But Le Creuset is also made in China now too. Staub is still made in France as far as I know.

Somebody mentioned Made in China... yep, it probably is. But Le Creuset is also made in China now too. Staub is still made in France as far as I know.

I'd be interested to know the source of this information. I know that Le Creuset and AllClad and other companies do make some items in China, but their main product lines are made in the home countries (France USA etc)

Le Creuset makes several lines of cookware besides the cast iron. But according to their home page the cast iron is still made in France.

Thanks.

All Clad is made in the US, however their lids and non clad items are made overseas.
The boxes inform you of this as well.. I think the panini grill pan I have as a specialty anodized pan is made overseas.. the other tri ply stainless and ltd clad pieces are made in the states. The website will also inform of this.

Le Creuset cast iron is made in France, the stoneware is not, I have a few pieces though not nearby where I can double check, I think thailand is where the stoneware is made. The stainless steel is made elsewhere as well, I do think China was what I saw on them when I visited the outlet.
Interestingly, the LC website only addresses mfg of the cast iron. I don't find any retailers specifying origin country on this SS line either. I will say, what I saw in the shop was very nice though... and I do specifically remember it was not made in France, ahh.. here we go.. cooking.com has the origin listed on the stainless line as China as well:
Le Creuset Stainless Braiser (5-qt.) at Cooking.com

Henckels tri ply is made in China (listed on both metrokitchen and cooking.com)
Henckels Classic Clad Stainless 7 Piece Cookware Set HK-40320-000 on Sale with Free Shipping from MetroKitchen

Viking 7ply is mfg in Belgium:
Viking Sauce Pan (1.5-qt.) at Cooking.com

The Technique.. not sure about the enameled aluminum line, but their tri ply stainless is made in Thailand.. I have a few pieces of those.

Also, the KitchenAid 5 ply stainless is also made in Thailand, I have several of these.

And I believe Walmarts Tramontina is made in either Brazil or Thailand.. I don't have a piece to verify.

Hope this helps.

I absolutely agree with your post. After the many products pulled from the market because of serious health or safety issues items "Made in China" are all suspect. They evidently lack standards that prevent manufacture and export of SERIOUS health issues to the good old USA, and we evidently lack the inspection standards that would prevent these items from reaching our markets. Remember the infant formula? The Allclad small skillet made in China and the skillets made in the USA (I have both) are glaringly different. Beware.

Back
Top Bottom